Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

vyelkin posted:

This is bullshit and I hate it and I hope UEFA and the domestic leagues burn these clubs down instead of going along to get along.

I think the point the controlling interests of these 12 (but really 15) clubs have made is the domestic leagues would be burning down their own houses if they tried. The revenue that the domestic leagues and Champions League enjoy come overwhelmingly from fans of these teams.

What would be the asking price for the sponsorship of a London derby between West Ham and Crystal Palace? What is the overseas TV revenue going to be for your European final between Leicester City and *trip to Wikipedia* ...Roma?

It sucks, but it seems inevitable that the super rich oligarchs would eventually turn on the slightly-less rich aristocrats that pretended to be in control of the situation. This is either the endgame or all the leverage needed to cause the domestic leagues and UEFA to bend backward as far as required to maintain the illusion of status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

Other clubs can become “big clubs” if this goes ahead. Seems mental that people think the big names are required to me. gently caress them

I don't think you're wrong about "big clubs"; surely most of the revenue comes from the international audience who have only become fans of the symbols that were marketed to them. I think the bet here is that the do-nothings that run the domestic leagues and federations wouldn't take cuts to their own pay for as long as it would take to make that happen. You can't buy high quality debt bonds with gratitude. Also, I think the instincts of the billionaires currently on the outside of this looking in would lead them to support their own kind.

Also, I don't think there will be any surprises when they announce the 3 remaining permanent members. This wouldn't be announced if they weren't sure they had PSG, Bayern Munich, and Dortmund.

I guess we're about to find out how much control the common club members of Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, and Barcelona really have.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

I'm looking forward to Spurs trying to get an announcement out that they've decided to withdraw from the Super League, only to see Chelsea announce "Tottenham Withdraws from ESL" first.

At least José is gone.