Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Now is the opportunity to find that out.
The US closed rich leagues are successful in no small part thanks to dominating the sport, either through being the best at the sport (see American basketball players and Canadian hockey players) or through being the only ones who play the sport at all (American football, baseball)
Now compare those to the MLS

I’d throw baseball in the “best at the sport” category considering several other countries play it with the US, Japan, and to a lesser extent Mexico dominating the sport. It’s more of a basketball or hockey situation where there’s plenty of leagues to play in than an American football situation where you play here or nowhere.

Death to the Super League. Only small clubs like Juve or Real are threatened etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I mean, Football Club United of Manchester is literally just jumbling up the existing words until nonsense falls out (it was originally just FC United until someone at the FA pointed out that you have to be named after a place). You do have this slightly weird thing where people chant for 'FC', like it's going to be good time tonight when we go and watch Football Club and hope that Football Club win, but yeah you can put it on a hat and stuff.

I agree, they should chant F-CUM.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

i mean, the football part is kinda implied and redundant

you want a nice neat slogan that you can cover the ground in and that the fans will eat up

I think given their history and success in leading the fan movement stuff it makes more sense than some rando team but yeah it is kinda goofy when you think about it.

Is my impression correct that labor law with regard to football players something everyone involved is trying very hard not to get a court to look at too closely?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Yeah pretty much. Nobody wants labour laws like "an employee can give two weeks' notice and then go work for a rival company" applied to football clubs even though when you really get down to it footballers are employees like anybody else.

Ah. My dad is still mad about free agency in American sports which we got when the courts told baseball to gently caress off with the reserve clause. It seems that sports financial stuff always falls apart when a court looks at it. Odd.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

sudo rm -rf posted:

it seems like big football clubs run into financial trouble more often than american sport franchises

like what's going on with barca?

Who are the Mets of England here in terms of being really bad at money?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

Rebranding this place to OnlyLegacyFans

For the love of Mammon yes

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bundy posted:

Two good videos into the catalyst of the European Super League, the formation of the Premier League (originally named Super League):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuLWAnhMhiQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlQWxUkUPXg

Noteworthy things I'd forgot or didn't know:

ITV and then chairman Greg Dyke along with the FA started the ball rolling
Arsenal and Liverpool spearheaded the idea to the FA
Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and United the first five to sign up, the rest of the incumbents voting in favour
It was thought it'd improve the England team (lol)
Sky came in with a massive bid at the behest of then Spurs chairman Alan Sugar (whose company Amstrad supplied Sky boxes at the time)
The FA were happy with it because it hosed over the Football League
Ken Bates once applied to have an electric fence installed at Stamford Bridge to tackle hooliganism

Not sure where to ask but on this subject can anyone recommend a book on English football during the ‘80s dark ages? My knowledge only really picks up when I got hooked on old DOS management sims in the 90s.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Grimson posted:

best break out your newspeak dictionaries for this one

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1385277517347672065?s=20

the new Super League has been decided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bumhead posted:

What are Konami doing with the MASTER LEAGUE these days?

Man Red or Man Blue, which side are you on?