Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think chief is the hummingbird. He's helping Joe get out of his depression and in ep 2 we saw him carving a lil bird figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I binged this to catch up to it so this was a pleasantly lighthearted episode comparatively. Liu got what he wanted without any fuss really and it helped revitalize Joe. I'm interested to see where it goes with Mac, he's a very sympathetic figure, and a lot more interesting than Liu in a lot of ways. This is definitely a more confident season that the first. While events are still analogous to events in Ashita no Joe they're way more removed entirely to the betterment of this show. I'm really impressed with this season.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I agree completely. Joe is a very nothing character now, and frankly him getting back in the ring at this point feels contradictory to the path the show has taken him so far. I'll admit I'm several episodes behind at this point because the last few episodes have been very blah to me and I don't have the enthusiasm to watch them.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kiiiiiind of, but not really

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This show hasn't earned that ambiguity in my opinion and Nomad Joe deserves a happy ending. Frankly the fact Yuri didn't die was somewhat surprising to me and one of the better parts of the first season's ending. At this point it'd feel cheap and forced

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

is it just me or is that hummingbird story way too loving dark to be a cheery picture book for children?

Yeah, seems pretty normal to me. I dislike the device of using a children's storybook to summarize your themes, but it's not crazy to me that that'd be a storybook

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Haven't had a chance to watch the last ep yet so I can't comment on it but here's two Joes drawn by Tetsuya Chiba.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Finally got a chance to watch the last episode. The sheer strength of the production almost, but not quite, saved the show for me, but my problems with the show kept me from fully enjoying it. My final opinion is that in trying to be a political fable the show failed to be as good of a character drama as it could have been, and the strength of the first half petered out. Strictly speaking this show is just as good as the first season but there's just an added layer of disappointment to it for me for not living up to the expectations it created. The boxing scenes were better and Mac is probably the most well developed character in either show, even if he's still kind of a stock character. It was never outright electric like the first one was for me though. I hope it does well and that the director gets to keep on making things!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'll be honest, even for a boxing anime the way boxing fixes everything bordered on silliness. Boxing fixes drug addiction, acquires two different land deeds from the mafia, throws a billionaire in jail, and heals a half dozen men's traumas and insecurities. That's something I'd expect from a balls to the wall shonen like Ring ni Kakero, and not a show that opens with the main character trying to kill himself on painkillers before puking with the best vomit foley used in anime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't want that to be taken like I don't enjoy the happy ending, though. I actually do enjoy how the writers have given Joe a happy ending twice now despite the audiences expectations that he'll die or be maimed. I know especially in season 1 a lot of people were almost salivating for someone to die in the final match, more than once I've talked to people who have said they would have liked it more were that the case. Stubbornly resisting that sort of fate because it was how people think a manga ended 50 years ago is the most Joe thing about this show, I feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

While I still have problems with the way the show used Joe's drug addiction, the way it handled his eventual return to boxing is a lot more elegant than Ashita no Joe, where his mid-manga turn from underground boxing hooligan to bantamweight champion contender is called unrealistic even by characters in the manga!

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 2, 2021