Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It is kind of weird. Part of me wondered if the table scene was going to end up with everyone (except Santa, who's entirely motivated by how lucrative the situation can be) telling him to not go into the ring. That would be a way to stop Mac too - simply not let him fight, considering he's in no condition to do so, and mentally he's now more broken than ever thanks to that scientist guy now breaking his spirit too. But no, they're going forward, if with two big asterisks - he's not "Gearless" anymore, and Sachio has no intentions of letting the fight continue if Joe's in genuine danger.

To some extent, I guess that's the point. Joe is not fighting as if his life had no other meaning but the fight itself anymore (S1), and he's not fighting to escape from his feelings either (S2). He's putting his own life into account, he's surrounded by people he fully trusts and who fully trust him in return, and he's adamant that this is where his boxing career ends, one way or another. This is just the capstone to everything, but also, I can't say that it doesn't feel unnecessary. But we do have two episodes to go and Mac's arc to complete, and there is some emotional impact in him taking up Chief's Gear, so I'm interested in seeing where it goes at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sair posted:

Boxing didn't solve the problems, the friendships we made from boxing did.

Yeah, this is very important. If it were up to boxing alone, Joe would've gotten himself killed to get that rush from violence, and Mac would've fallen straight into Mac Time and likely gotten irreversible brain damage. What saved them from those fates were the bonds they learned to embrace - Joe with Team Nowhere, Mac with his wife and son.