Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just watched Chief's moneymaker match and God drat. this season isn't just confident, it has a drat vision. it's ambitious as all gently caress. it's got the same shine that Cowboy Bebop hit you with.

I just hope that the immigrants keep being a factor in the story and it's not just like a stepping stone for Joe to get his groove back. I really liked how they brought the group in as a consequence of the world and it'd be a shame to discard that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm an ep behind but uh with regards to that little commercial for Rosario it's pretty obvious Mac's miracle cure is just Yuri's Integrated Gear with the ACE AI right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Electric Phantasm posted:

Unless I'm misrembering the first season...
There's the background intrigue between ShiratoBro's AI Gear and Yuri's Integrated Gear being better, with the ACE system relying on Gear electrical signal monitoring while the Integrated System was more invasive but allowed the person full control.

I'm guessing that this season 's appearance of ShiratoBro means we get a scene where he talks to Sis about how he recognized what they were doing with Mac and he wants to know how they solved the AI processing or someshit. Pharmakid just kind of casually mentioning that MSc should take up Megalobox in the middle of his crazy workout mania seems too convenient. Wonder if Mac is extremely suggestible as a result and the system makes him complacent

I hope I'm surprised but following the outline of Akita no Joe I'd like Mac to be at a disadvantage "reading" Joe because he's heavily Punch Drunk and blind in one eye so his movements are more erratic and the system can't predict countermeasures as a result.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Man, I really loving hate that brush-headed tech dude. Great villain.

Ep 8 just dropped on the app for us poors, goddamn what a loving masterpiece of a show.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TriffTshngo posted:

That said, so far I am way more into Nomad. That first episode immediately made me care more about Joe than the entirety of the first season managed to, and learning about what happened after the events of season 1 that kind of broke everything and watching Joe try to pick it all back up is incredibly enjoyable.
I enjoyed the sense of being tossed into things. That said the slow leak of backstory is weirdly satisfying but also a bit empty. Story-wise I'm happy it was just Joe trying to do a good, if futile, thing for his mentor, and the very real, very hurt scars following that failure... but it also seems kind of unsatisfying to know that Joe left because Sacchio was upset he didn't get to Pops in time, that he was wasting the short time he had on a pipe dream to prolong his life, etc. I'm kind of more interested in seeing how things spin out from that than knowing the justification behind his pain and excommunication.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

chiasaur11 posted:

Man.

That episode felt weird to me.

Not so much for itself, but.... I guess it's the context.
Huge grain of salt with this take because I'm just on 10 and the scene in question hasn't been available yet. But...

As much as I hate, hate, HATE that brush headed twerp, he's not really the villain of the piece any more than Mac is. Granted, dude is endemic to the diseased society where even something life-changing has to be wrung out for profit rather than actually helping people, but I think the obstacles we've seen this season all derive from the personal. We're traveling through an assortment of damaged personalities and finding what it takes to heal them (home, loss, family, belonging, etc).

What I liked about this season was piecing together the tragedy that broke everything... and largely, it wasn't Joe's loss to Liu, his running away/Sacchio banishing him, or anything about that, but rather the fracturing of their security once Pops was ill. Yes, S1 Joe had achieved a dream, S2 Joe is more about living well. So I think now. That he's largely healed himself and his family, the show has to have Joe willfully give it up again, but leave it in a way that won't fracture it again. And I think he does that by saving Mac, kind of the way that Chief saved him.

My hope is that the final match burns out the BES without killing Rosario, and causing Rosco to tumble. I think, in the process, Joe has to give his all, and maybe we get the ambiguity of the original to end with.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GorfZaplen posted:

This show hasn't earned that ambiguity in my opinion and Nomad Joe deserves a happy ending.
I'm not sure he does. If only because a large part of the season is this sense of atonement or making up for mistakes (ShiratoBro even makes reference to changing because you recognize you were wrong). I think, ultimately, Joe will need to make up for his fight and for trying to drag out Pops' struggle. I think he does that by making sure Mac is free, but I can't see that coming, at this point, without something in exchange.

Maybe I'm wrong and Team Nowhere ends up being what Joe retires to.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I finally got around to watching the Dinner Table episode. Love how there was thematic coherence with the idea of repairing/building up (Team Nowhere Gym, the bike, his friendships again). Shades of the Fisher King and whatnot, with a nice contrast to Mac's increasing erratic behaviour.

And I really enjoyed that they gave him a moment where Joe admits that his fight with Liu was a way to run from the pain of losing Pops.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I know people have argued about the characterization to Techbro, but I loving loooooved how he gets cornered and just resorts to this petulant tit-for-tat poo poo with his foot barely able to keep from dancing around.. Dude's not particularly complex but he's very well realized.

I enjoyed getting back to the refugee camp and seeing that they all flourished, even if I wish they had been around more

Raenir Salazar posted:

Great ending, slightly confused as to what
If it's the end of the series, then you can also speculate... that him hearing Pops again may mean that he passed on. I mean, it would mirror how Chief went, contented, though I think it's a huge reach..

I'm honestly wondering if they'll go a third round maybe with Sacchio/Liu suffering a defeat that sets Joe on a pyrrhic end. But I kind of like the way things are now with all the wounds healed and people being given actual hope in the democratization of BES/Gear.

I know a previous posted was disappointed in how MegaloJoe was more human and frail than Ashita Joe's thundering force of nature, but I think the difference in this story merits the divergence. This Joe was ready to throw all in for his sheer love of fighting, but the trust he places on his friends saves him from a meaningless death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, I really admired how everyone that had a conscience got out pretty well.

Mac remained a Hero, Joe remained a Legend (out of the ring for years, went toe to toe with Mac), Liu on his way to recovery.