Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Seven years after the first season of Megalobox, we find the first Megalonia Champion, "Gearless" Joe, again fighting in underground matches under the moniker, "Nomad." His life has gone to hell and it appears all the bonds he created during the first season have been severed. What the hell happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHBlVtrtjck

Three episodes out so far, and poo poo's been great. I wasn't as high as a lot of people on the first season, though it was stylish as hell and made it to my top 5 that year. But, this season seems miles ahead in production and tone like the team knows what they want out of it from the get go. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Siegkrow posted:

What happened between both seasons then?

BTW, Where can I watch this? I don't suppose it is on netflix yet

That's one of the things we're finding out. We're getting flashbacks piecemeal on what the hell actually happened as Joe's half of the story. What we've gotten so far is Nanbu was suffering from a life-threatening illness but Joe asked him to work with him for one last fight which supposedly caused his death. Looks like Joe ran away after the fight (which he probably lost from one brief flash we got of him down for the count) and Sachio blames him for causing Nanbu's death.

It's licensed by Funimation. And I think you can watch the first season on Adult Swin's site.

Dangerous Person posted:

I'm very much into this season so far, especially the music

Oh yeah. The Latin aesthetic is great, and Chief is already my favorite character. Which is going to piss me off when things inevitably go sideways. :ohdear:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ibblebibble posted:

Do you mean Hasta ver la luz? It means something like Towards the light I think, but I defer to anyone who actually knows Spanish.

It means "Until I see the light" but whether it's a specific reference to something, I dunno. Maybe it has a cultural meaning similar to "Not Dead Yet" :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MorningMoon posted:

Chief reads to me as the Hummingbird, yeah. And Hummingbirds have pretty short lifespans, so I'm scared he'll ultimately live hard and die fast.

Dude already looks like he's in his 40s. He's got that dad-bod with the granny glasses.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This show is so loving good. You knew exactly what was going to happen after he took all those rabbit punches and didn't collapse after the fight. But then he had to pull out that "I'm afraid to go to sleep." line. Goddamn. :cry:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Caught up with the last two episodes.

Maaaaaaaan. Interesting to see where this goes. To echo FilthyImp above, I hope we get back to the immigrants as a group to help heal the break in Joe/the kids' relationship. Also, Sachio grew up to be a little poo poo. I mean, all his actions are wholly understandable, but he learned one of the hardest lessons a kid can learn. Adults are just as dumb, selfish, and emotionally fragile as kids are. I learned that at 16. Sachio was a lot younger.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm interested to see where the hummingbird sighting at the end of the match leads. In retrospect, it's pretty clear he was on autopilot (AI or Ultra Instinct, whichever the case may be) during that last barrage but, Yuri's reaction probably has as much to do with his history with the integrated gear and the AI fiasco as it does with his natural boxing insight.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The music has been phenomenal the entire season, but the music queues on episode 10 were loving on point. You know that feeling you get when the main character's determination hits it's peak and that hype music hits? There were like four of those in that episode alone.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The fact that the show has set itself up that anything ranging from mostly tragic to saccharine could be a reasonable conclusion is a testament to the writing and development so far. Here's hoping they just don't try to get too cute with it.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 21, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
God, that was amazing. I know a lot of people are going to be disappointed that everything seemed to fall into place/work out perfectly, but gently caress it. The emotional beats were spot on. And I like the fact that the whole episode was framed as an epilogue with the only things needing resolution being the fate of BES tech and the corporate entities involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Great ending, slightly confused as to what Joe was doing in the truck, heading back to the gym or heading out to somewhere else?

He was heading out to visit Chief's grave, then go back to the gym.