Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Thanks for making this thread! :) I'm glad to see a potential shop-talk thread, since the ADTRW one is really more fan-oriented and I feel weird constantly breaking the fourth wall while they're trying to enjoy someone's karaoke stream. :)

I'm the tech-guy / sorta-manager for an indie VTuber with ~660 subs. Luna Miura is a variety streamer with a focus on art, charity streams as often as she feels she can get away with them (she's giving them a break since her last one raised over $1,000 for Find Your Light and she's worried she's drained her fan-base's wallet enough for now), and lately she's been dabbling in Hindi language content.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbPFa0AZKM2LtBP1gU1TTsQ

If anyone has tech or general implementation questions or is interested in getting into VTubing, please feel free to bounce questions off me. I'm not a VTuber myself, but I've had plenty of experience now being told "I want to do _____________, can you make that happen?" and having to figure it out before stream-day. :haw:

quote:

Sure, but I don't think it's possible to be as adorable as Captain Crabs:

Captain Crabs is fabulous. You have fine taste in crustaceans.

quote:

Ordinary bird?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1332069647148048384

Sundae fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm actually working on an idea to deal with the clipper poo poo, but it's going to take me a week or two and may not work at all because exposure begets exposure in an algorithm-driven world. Still, worth trying. I'll post an update once I have more to show from it. I have to deal with the human world for a little bit first.

Also, for anyone looking at 3D stuff who wants a basic idea of what goes into it, check out PHIA's channel. She has an entire playlist dedicated to 3Dtuber tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdI9TI7mJBsnVDSN6ygkNcOJo-WQitK8R
She's an absolute sweetie and answers a lot of questions in her Discord if you have anything in particular you're wondering about. It's a good place to get started learning.

FYI, if you are considering starting up VTubing, please please do your homework first. Unless you already know you're into streaming and will stick with it, don't spend insane amounts of money on this poo poo. Like any hobby, VTubing has a wonderfully low cost of entry but a hilariously high ceiling of expenditure. I see far too many people who slap down thousands of dollars on gear / models / music / art / whatever for their streams, do it for two months and then either realize it's not for them or give up because they aren't growing exponentially. I also see people who spend a lot on a model and then realize it isn't the right model for them, and then spend even more to get what they really wanted now that they realize it.

If you aren't sure what you want to do, come in as a PNGtuber or something and try it out for a bit. See if you even like the idea once you're doing it. Plus, it's way cheaper to ask some artist on DeviantArt to make you a different character for PNGtubing than it is to pay someone to draw/rig up an entirely new Live2D or do another 3D model.

Live2D General Pricing:

Low-end Live2D: $100-300 for rigging, $100 -200 for Art. (I don't mean low-end as in low-quality, but low end of pricing.)
Mid-tier Live2D: $300-500 for rigging, $500ish for art.
High-end Live2D: $500-1000+ for rigging, $500-1000+ for art. For perspective's sake on this end: when I was doing model procurement for a VTuber recently, IronVertex (broadly considered to be the best easily western-accessible Live2D-making group) quoted $3800 for art+rig, and the artist/rigger who did Cimrai's work quoted 4000 euros for art+rig.

3D Pricing: (I don't have as much experience here, so this is more going off of what I see other people do / charge)

VRoid w/ Base Textures: Free if you do it yourself, $50-100 if you pay someone. You can find tons of people to do this, but just learn and do it yourself. If you're going to pay anyone for this stuff, have them do the hair. The hair modeling is weird in VRoidStudio.
VRoid w/ Custom Textures: $100-400 depending on complexity of design. A pretty good in-between if you're not an artist. ArgamaWitch makes custom textures that come out pretty well from what I've seen.
Custom Model, Sculpted: Sky's the limit on your pricing here. Expect to pay around $1500 for a rigged model from a popular-but-accessible modeler (e.g., Shonzo), if you can get onto their waitlist. The artist who did the new VShojo 3D models (TheArtGun) starts at approx $4K for 3D models and is booked out through June with non-disclosure jobs, probably for the rest of the group. VRCTraders Discord regularly has people list their services in the $500-1000 range, but most of them are pretty bad. Really, expect to pay $1500 if you want a good 3D model.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lily Catts posted:

I will watch this thread with great interest.

(Currenrly shopping around for VRoid commissions)

ArgamaWitch on Twitter and Etsy. She’s really good. You can also approximate a look using items off Booth if you want to get started without commissioning anything expensive first.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vizuyos posted:

i made a thing in VTube Studio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P3bk54MF4Y

It has an item system where you can import images into the viewer, and it also has the ability to stick them to your avatar so they move with it. People mostly use that attachment functionality for stuff like hats, but I'm a Vtuber with no legs and a robot backstory that gives me an excuse to stick all sorts of dumb crap on the bottom half

I'm in no rush to get a full-body made, because I'm sure I wouldn't think of dumb shitpost stuff like this if I didn't have that half-body limitation to work around

That's a great idea for the VTS attachments system. :lol: Awesome.

I'm hoping that PrPrLive eventually rolls out something like that, since VTS Steam edition is still buggy as gently caress, and the only modern phone I have is a work phone so :lol: at the idea of putting VTS on that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
This guy hasn't streamed in three months and it makes me so sad now that I know he existed.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1348768562656104449

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Anyone feel up for sharing their equipment / streaming setups? I'm always curious to see how people have stuff arranged, particularly in the VTuber side of things where nothing can block your face. (I'll ask Luna if I can share hers, or if she doesn't want a photo of her rig on the internet.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lily Catts posted:

do you use plain OBS or the Streamlabs flavor (which allows donations independent of YouTube/Twitch to be set up)?

You can use the Streamlabs donation stuff without running SLOBS. If you're just doing donations, there's a browser source you can use. If you're using all the Twitch add-ons (followers, subs, raids, etc), you download "StreamLabels" and run it locally during the stream to monitor while you're using the browser source.

Edit: Got permission to post up Luna's workflow:

She has two monitors. The main one is a BenQ 37" UW 3440x1440, which she uses for games + chat + things she has to actively monitor. The second is a low-cost ASUS monitor she got on sale for like $60. It keeps OBS, StreamLabels, and other things that don't require too much active attention. For lighting, she has a LED key light (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LV543RY/) behind her monitor that provides ambient face-lighting. This ends up being necessary because she's using a standard webcam for tracking and not the ARKit or FaceKit phone stuff, which is infrared-based and isn't as finicky about shadows. She doesn't have a phone that supports either of those, so webcam + lighting it is.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 26, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Anyone have a link to decent (and ideally not wallet-breaking) LED strips I could put in front of a keyboard for underlighting? We've noticed waaaaay better eye-lid tracking during art streams than during gaming or chat, and finally made the connection that the underlighting from the tablet is eliminating eye-shadows that are loving with the camera. I can blast them out with the LED panel behind the monitor, but that's just begging for eye-strain headaches by the end of the stream. It'd be easier to put a little strip at the front of the desk aiming up.

Wireless would be ideal. Virtual streaming makes so many goddamned wires oh my god the wires are loving EVERYWHERE.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vizuyos posted:

I don't have anything beyond that, although I intend at some point to look into software to improve my audio setup - the mic picks up my typing noises, and I'm not really satisfied with the audio balancing OBS comes with. In particular, I'd love to be able to balance Discord's audio separately from everything else.

For the audio setup, install the Reaper Standalone VST plugins. They work with OBS and SLOBS. The core ones I use are the noise gate, compressor, and equalizer.

To separate out Discord (or anything else, for that matter), install VoiceMeeter and Virtual Audio Cable. There are some tutorials on YT if you want something to walk you through it. They're both free for most purposes. Once you have those in place, you can split out your inputs and outputs into different auxiliaries, create virtual inputs through the audio cable, etc. It made it really easy to separate Discord, which was perfect for collabs being able to be muted easily in scenes they shouldn't be heard in, rather than having to gently caress with desktop audio muting constantly. It's also great for games that won't mute themselves in the background, etc.

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
EDIT:

Wrong thread. Sorry.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 3, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bentai posted:

Yeah that’s why I’m gunshy on the outlay, only to have the rigger tell me “sorry, can’t do anything with this.”

The rigger should be able to tell you if they can do anything with it before you pay anything. Let them check out the files and see what they say. If they refuse to look at it without advance payment beyond (at most) a small fee for their time to check it, gently caress that, no thank you.

Though, just to confirm: Do you have the original model CMO3 file, or do you have the compiled runtime? If you don't have the CMO3, they're doing a complete start from scratch using your art.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Well poo poo. The artist who drew Luna’s model got picked up by a manga studio and has a NCA, so no more outside art contracts for him. :(. I need to find her a new artist who can replicate the style.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
There is technicality and there is reality. The technical answer in most countries is "No, you can't legally do that." The TL;DR reality for the USA is that "It's okay until it's not okay, and reality has a lot of asterisks."

For a small, non-Japanese VTuber with minimal to moderate income, you will be just fine as long as you aren't blatantly horrible and offensive in a way that the company doesn't want to be associated with. If you are larger and have a good audience, the risk of interference goes up. If you are heavily monetized, same thing. The bigger and more popular you get, the riskier it will be to use derivative assets. Even if they say it is okay, it is only okay until they decide it's not okay; they own the IP, not you. For longevity's sake, it's probably best to not risk it. :)

Japanese IP law treats fair use, parody, etc, very very differently from US law. Your mileage will drastically vary if you are a JP VTuber, and I am not experienced enough with it to comment other than it being an extremely risky move to use derivative/copyright materials, small streamer or not.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 17, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

blossommirage posted:

Jeez, editing your own videos is a really fast way to hate the sound of your own voice. Anyone have advice for that?

#1 - If it's an issue of vocal quality (not your voice, but your actual audio chain), consider what you can do to make it sound better. Luna (the indie one I post in the ADTRW thread) uses a compressor and an equalizer to make it sound better, plus a decent-quality mic (AKG P420). You can do all the VST stuff (compressor, noise reduction, equalizer, etc) for free with Reaper VSTs, without any $ on mics. An equalizer can go a long way on making up for what you dislike in your voice.

#2 - If it's just the way your voice sounds that you dislike, then yeah get used to it. :)

quote:

Yeah, I agree with roobots on the natural voice. Character voices can be really good for certain things, but it can be a lot for some viewers. Aside from personal preferences, it also takes a ton of effort to keep it up for long periods of time. If you're not used to that, you'll strain yourself really quickly.

100% agreed. Take a look at the number of Holo members who started with fake voices and recently started going back into their natural voices after doctors told them to knock it off, voice strain problems, etc. It's tough to maintain, especially for 2+ hours multiple times each week.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 21, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vinigre posted:

I helped my VTuber get setup with a noise suppressor in OBS, but once it was in place it seemed like it was cutting off sound when she would scream, shout, or cackle. It was pretty scuffed and we removed it soon after.

Any recommendations on a different filter to use? I have the Reaper VST plugins installed but I'm not very familiar with them and their knobs yet.

Yeah, don't use the default OBS noise suppressor. It takes high-pitched stuff and treats it like mic feedback. I'd actually recommend just using Reagate-standalone (Reaper Noise Gate) and some online tutorial videos for setting it up, and then skip the noise suppression entirely. A noise gate will (in most cases) do just fine on its own without the extra suprresion.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Curious- does anyone know why so many of the bigger-name Japanese artists will only accept corporate enquiries even if they're freelancers? I even had someone re: back to me that while my budget was good, they still only take gigs from companies and declined the job. I don't understand why my dollars are worse than corporate dollars, when I'm offering comparable amounts. :eng99:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I finally got that loving auto-clipper script past Google's audit team. I'm kinda-sorta load testing it with a bunch of my buddies on Discord right now, and if it stays functional and Google doesn't poo poo on me again, I'll open it to this thread next. Long story short: You submit info in a google form with YT Video URL, start/stop time, and a description+title for the video, and it'll auto-clip and upload it to an indie-vtuber specific clip channel I started, along with all the appropriate metadata from your form entry. You can then either share that video link directly or use something like YT1S to snag it for putting on your own channel if you like. I'd prefer people share it from the clip channel so that it grows and gets more visibility (and thus is more useful to everyone who submits videos), but it's your stream content so you can of course do what you please with it. :)

Should be ready for open-sharing here within a week. Just want to make sure Google doesn't gently caress me over again once it starts seeing real usage.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 26, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

FeatherFloat posted:

Oh hot dang, thanks for this! I've been running into this exact problem with OBS's noise supressor. I want SOME noise suppressed, but it really makes me freaking out over surprises much less entertaining.

Glad to help!

Also, if you use Discord for collab stuff, there's a noise suppression thing in there that will also cause similar problems in high-pitched voices. I was working with some other streamers to help them put together a "Hooray for Twitch Partner" singing stream, and we figured that out while troubleshooting why the girl's voice kept getting cut off.

quote:

a weekly Super Mario Sunshine playthrough

I have no idea why people do this to themselves. Such a bad game. :lol:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sundae posted:

Curious- does anyone know why so many of the bigger-name Japanese artists will only accept corporate enquiries even if they're freelancers? I even had someone re: back to me that while my budget was good, they still only take gigs from companies and declined the job. I don't understand why my dollars are worse than corporate dollars, when I'm offering comparable amounts. :eng99:

I GOT SOMEONE. YAAAAY. :woop:

*empties Luna's account balance into the void*

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

nielsm posted:

Also a note for the above, if you audition for Nijisanji, you audition to receive a pre-made model. They have a lineup of models made, and then look for talents to fill them in.

Definitely check out the pre-made models, what you can see of them at least. There's enough visible to get a feel for what they're most likely looking for in a voice actor.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
When it rains, it pours. Tsunderia is also doing auditions for their next round.

https://tsunderia.com/audition-info/

They're a wee tiny thing, if I understand correctly. No idea if there's any value in working with them, but figured I'd share.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

Heya, ADTRW vtuber thread OP here. I was thinking of making a new thread because the current one is getting pretty long in the tooth and I thought it would be cool to feature goon vtubers in the OP.

If you'd like to be featured in the new OP coming Soon(TM) just PM me or post in this thread with a link in the channel and I'll pop you in.

I sent you a PM for Luna's channel, but given I advertise the gently caress out of her streams over there any time she has something interesting going on, please feel free to give the spot to someone else if there are too many. She won't go unnoticed. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Sorry for double-post; just saw this...

The Manticore posted:

I posted in the main thread many pages ago, but I'll drop myself again here just to be thorough. My L2D should be finished in the next 10 days or so, and I have some fun stuff lined up.
I'm learning to enjoy talking to myself and still figuring out how to minimize train noises because I am in a Metropolis Zone. I figure I might just have to incorporate it into my lore at some point.

twitch.tv/yagyavt

Trains are tough. Do you have a decibel read on how loud they are in your area? I did some audio work to help out a few streamers with mic problems recently; maybe I can help out? Feel free to PM me details if you don't want stuff in public view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

The Manticore posted:

I would appreciate it! I dont have PMs though; maybe Discord? manticore#0167

Sent you an invite from something ending in #8383