Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Vegastar posted:

Announcing an M1 iPad Pro without any mention of giving iPad OS more ability to take advantage of it makes this really underwhelming.

They will at WWDC. And the new iMac's look great. My only concern is the white boarder, not black boarder. When they release the 27 inch iMac in some colors, but have a black bezel, I'll be pumped. It's the little things that make it great. (MagSafe return, headphone jack on the freaking side, Ethernet in the power brick,) and so on.And for 99% of most average computer users who want a desktop, this is already a drat good machine. For standard office work, this is a drat good machine. Even for me, who runs a publishing business from my 2015 iMac, it's basically a perfect machine, but I won't go lower than 5K. (and I want two external monitor support, because I'm silly and like to have two displays on either side of the 5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hughmoris posted:

Dumb question from someone outside of the Apple ecosystem:

My family member has the current version of Apple TV 4K. They hate the remote. Do you think this newly announced remote will be backwards compatible?

They are confirmed to be backwards compatible, yes.

The older ATV 2, 3, and 4 remotes are also compatible with the 4K.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Can we order the new iPads and just camp for delivery? I can configure it, but CONTINUE is greyed out.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Can we order the new iPads and just camp for delivery? I can configure it, but CONTINUE is greyed out.

says order 4/30 delivered second half of may right on the build page.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LionArcher posted:

They will at WWDC. And the new iMac's look great. My only concern is the white boarder, not black boarder. When they release the 27 inch iMac in some colors, but have a black bezel, I'll be pumped. It's the little things that make it great. (MagSafe return, headphone jack on the freaking side, Ethernet in the power brick,) and so on.And for 99% of most average computer users who want a desktop, this is already a drat good machine. For standard office work, this is a drat good machine. Even for me, who runs a publishing business from my 2015 iMac, it's basically a perfect machine, but I won't go lower than 5K. (and I want two external monitor support, because I'm silly and like to have two displays on either side of the 5k.

That's where I am at. I will definitely buy the 27 inch Apple Silicon iMac.

I did however order a new pistachio phone case and watch band.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Man, 12.9” iPad cellular is $1,300. That’s def both not surprising and also not cheap.

Maybe I’ll just find someone selling their 2020 iPad 12.9 cellular.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ATV remotes are what I'll be purchasing. The 4Ks I have are perfectly serviceable.

I *want* the new iPad Pro, but my 2019 Pro is still kicking around just fine. I'll probably hold off for another year at least on that.

I'm waiting for the new MBPs to hit before I pull the trigger on a new computer. Hopefully there will be an announcement at the WWDC this summer.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

badjohny posted:

says order 4/30 delivered second half of may right on the build page.

Derp, thank you.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So besides the remote, what’s new in the Apple TV?

Faster cpu but I don’t think I would notice.
High frame rate HDR but I don’t watch anything in high frame rate.
Calibration which seems like a software feature pretending to be a hardware one.

Leaning towards just getting the remote.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

smackfu posted:

So besides the remote, what’s new in the Apple TV?

Faster cpu but I don’t think I would notice.
High frame rate HDR but I don’t watch anything in high frame rate.
Calibration which seems like a software feature pretending to be a hardware one.

Leaning towards just getting the remote.

HDMI 2.1 and wifi 6.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Based on the 24" iMac, I'm excited about the replacement for the 27". I just hope that I can still upgrade the RAM on my own.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Bob Socko posted:

Based on the 24" iMac, I'm excited about the replacement for the 27". I just hope that I can still upgrade the RAM on my own.

I don't see how you could. Unless they have a second layer of ram? On chip and on motherboard ram? The Ram is built into the M1 chip. So unless they let you add ram in addition to what is on the chip, you are not going to upgrade ram.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So Apple that the AirTag doesn’t have any form of attachment built in so you need to buy an accessory to attach to your keys.

I am kind of surprised that they are selling the $13 Belkin key ring on the Apple Store which is undercutting their $35 leather version.

(Also surprised Apple is still so heavy into leather everything with their environment focus.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

So Apple that the AirTag doesn’t have any form of attachment built in so you need to buy an accessory to attach to your keys.

I am kind of surprised that they are selling the $13 Belkin key ring on the Apple Store which is undercutting their $35 leather version.

(Also surprised Apple is still so heavy into leather everything with their environment focus.)

This, but it’s drat smart. We all say “wow, only $30” and then you pay $10-20 more for the drat hook separate.

Yes I’ll still probably buy them.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FCKGW posted:

It is indeed backwards compatible with current ATV 4K and HD.

EL BROMANCE posted:

They are confirmed to be backwards compatible, yes.

The older ATV 2, 3, and 4 remotes are also compatible with the 4K.

Thanks!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

badjohny posted:

I don't see how you could. Unless they have a second layer of ram? On chip and on motherboard ram? The Ram is built into the M1 chip. So unless they let you add ram in addition to what is on the chip, you are not going to upgrade ram.

The ram itself seems to be a commodity part, and folks have had some success with replacing it, which suggests that it's not as tightly integrated as it seems. From a purely practical standpoint, I just can't imagine that Apple intends to be running off custom SOCs for every configuration of future Apple Silicon macs. Like, can you picture a 1.5TB Mac Pro SOC?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So I don’t follow these tracker tiles very closely. If I have one on my keychain and drop my keys while out hiking in a wilderness and don’t realize for a half hour will they help me? Or is it more of a crap they fell off my dresser where in my house are they?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Disappointing Pie posted:

So I don’t follow these tracker tiles very closely. If I have one on my keychain and drop my keys while out hiking in a wilderness and don’t realize for a half hour will they help me? Or is it more of a crap they fell off my dresser where in my house are they?

The latter. Works on base level exactly like tile: Bluetooth range. If a nearby iPhone finds it it’ll also work, but some Apple device needs to be nearby to locate it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Disappointing Pie posted:

From what I can see, it relies on the same kind of technology as the Covid contact tracing apps (but likely limited to iPhones). So likely not in wilderness, unless it marks the last time it had contact which can give you a starting point. But in any reasonably populated area, it looks like distance may not be an issue.

From the product page:

quote:

Your AirTag sends out a secure Bluetooth signal that can be detected by nearby devices in the Find My network. These devices send the location of your AirTag to iCloud — then you can go to the Find My app and see it on a map. The whole process is anonymous and encrypted to protect your privacy.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

badjohny posted:

Wow, didn't realize the RAM was integrated into the chip. That might complicate things for me. Maybe I'll just pick up a current generation model for cheap when they start discounting them to get them out the door? :shrug:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is there anything in the market currently like the Apple Tags?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there anything in the market currently like the Apple Tags?

Tile.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Socko posted:

Wow, didn't realize the RAM was integrated into the chip. That might complicate things for me. Maybe I'll just pick up a current generation model for cheap when they start discounting them to get them out the door? :shrug:

Your only chance of a discount is going to be when they hit the refurb store.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

But the Tiles don’t have directional locators, right?

Apple’s U1 (or whatever) chip enables that functionality.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

But the Tiles don’t have directional locators, right?

Apple’s U1 (or whatever) chip enables that functionality.

Well, yeah Apple is def doing it better, and even within a similar price point. So rip Tile.

So if you were asking with the additional features, I don’t think other companies do because they don’t have access to the hardware like apple can.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's also the upcoming Chipolo ONE Spot, but that's not out until June in "limited" quantities, doesn't appear to have a replaceable battery, and I'm not sure it has all the capabilities.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tile has always been pretty meh to me and I’m always checking if a better competitor has come along. We have owned a bunch of Tiles over the years. In actual situations where it would be useful, it’s maybe a 30% success rate. The other times it just has no idea where the thing is.

(On ATP this week they discussed who would even be the market for these things and I can’t believe none of them live with someone who never puts their stuff in the same place twice.)

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

It's kind of funny Apple has been starting their events with their green initiatives, and now they introduce a product that is designed to be thrown away in a year.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So everyone's iPhone works as a locational beacon, right? That's the huge superiority that Apple has over Tile.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Euphoriaphone posted:

It's kind of funny Apple has been starting their events with their green initiatives, and now they introduce a product that is designed to be thrown away in a year.

the battery is replaceable

TraderStav posted:

So everyone's iPhone works as a locational beacon, right? That's the huge superiority that Apple has over Tile.

and yes, especially since "oh no apps can't use bluetooth in the background to detect devices what a shame" -- Apple

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

and yes, especially since "oh no apps can't use bluetooth in the background to detect devices what a shame" -- Apple

Deffo put these on my kids, once they leave the house again....

How do I get dog and cat collars made with inserts for this thing? Should sell well.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

Ah, my mistake. That's great then. I'm not really interested in tracking tiles, and one reason is I'd feel terrible buying a tech product that you have to throw away once the battery dies.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I can definitely see a lot of random products like luggage, backpacks, strollers adding “AirTag support” aka a pouch with a button.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TraderStav posted:

Deffo put these on my kids, once they leave the house again....

How do I get dog and cat collars made with inserts for this thing? Should sell well.

They're not really designed for tracking independently moving objects, plus the anti-stalking features will kick in

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

They're not really designed for tracking independently moving objects, plus the anti-stalking features will kick in

I haven't had a chance to dig into the details, interesting that there's criteria where it will not be tracked. But I guess I'm happy that it can't just be slipped into my luggage and tracked, makes a lot of sense.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TraderStav posted:

I haven't had a chance to dig into the details, interesting that there's criteria where it will not be tracked. But I guess I'm happy that it can't just be slipped into my luggage and tracked, makes a lot of sense.

It's not so much that it won't track, but if the tag spends too much time away from the owner of the tag, and is instead moving consistently with a different iPhone, it'll notify that iPhone, and if there's no iPhone nearby (because the malicious actor has hid it on someone who uses Android), after a while it'll start beeping, and if you use NFC on it, it'll take you to the Apple page that will let you disable it.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I’m glad that airtags are finally here and I can certainly make use of four of them

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Buff Hardback posted:

It's not so much that it won't track, but if the tag spends too much time away from the owner of the tag, and is instead moving consistently with a different iPhone, it'll notify that iPhone, and if there's no iPhone nearby (because the malicious actor has hid it on someone who uses Android), after a while it'll start beeping, and if you use NFC on it, it'll take you to the Apple page that will let you disable it.

Good info, thanks. Looks like it’ll work fine for putting on my foolish hound.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I'm a big fan of the Tile but it seems like having the network of every* iPhone or whatever seems larger. I don't love that the Air Tags need an accessory just to hook them up to your keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

Good info, thanks. Looks like it’ll work fine for putting on my foolish hound.

Gruber talked to Apple employees, currently the timeout is set to 3 days before it starts freaking out and making "you're being tracked" sounds/notifications.