Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

So for the air tags, they charge $300+ for the Hermès holders lol .

Do they have some other type of holder for them ?

There's the standard leather loop for 35 by Apple, the 29 polyurethane one, and then Belkin has a plastic one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Euphoriaphone posted:

It's kind of funny Apple has been starting their events with their green initiatives, and now they introduce a product that is designed to be thrown away in a year.

the battery is replaceable

TraderStav posted:

So everyone's iPhone works as a locational beacon, right? That's the huge superiority that Apple has over Tile.

and yes, especially since "oh no apps can't use bluetooth in the background to detect devices what a shame" -- Apple

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TraderStav posted:

Deffo put these on my kids, once they leave the house again....

How do I get dog and cat collars made with inserts for this thing? Should sell well.

They're not really designed for tracking independently moving objects, plus the anti-stalking features will kick in

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TraderStav posted:

I haven't had a chance to dig into the details, interesting that there's criteria where it will not be tracked. But I guess I'm happy that it can't just be slipped into my luggage and tracked, makes a lot of sense.

It's not so much that it won't track, but if the tag spends too much time away from the owner of the tag, and is instead moving consistently with a different iPhone, it'll notify that iPhone, and if there's no iPhone nearby (because the malicious actor has hid it on someone who uses Android), after a while it'll start beeping, and if you use NFC on it, it'll take you to the Apple page that will let you disable it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

Good info, thanks. Looks like it’ll work fine for putting on my foolish hound.

Gruber talked to Apple employees, currently the timeout is set to 3 days before it starts freaking out and making "you're being tracked" sounds/notifications.