Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Didn't someone earlier point out that a similar building was constructed elsewhere and it actually got good reviews from students because they actually followed through with having really good common spaces?

I'm about 5 years out of college and tbh those dorm rooms don't look like a new level of awful. They suck, but most dorm rooms do.

The existing building serves like...less than 700 students. The new one will have 4500. It's uh, really not as simple as just scaling it up and not having windows is just the beginning of the problems with such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Mostly, when I think about that proposed building, I think about what will happen when someone in the middle of a floor lets out a really bad fart. You know, the kind that you need to open a window for.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Neither is okay. Don't ruin the concert for everyone else.

Especially if it is Barenaked Ladies and the lead singer is doing the thing where he has pointed the microphone at the crowd so they can yell the chorus to One Week instead of him.

What if Ed Robertson picks a guy named Brandon?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

The ContentBlockHelper add-on lets you select out specific scripts to block on a page, which can be quite useful in stopping ads, videos, and other actions (like paywalls). You have to experiment a bit to find out which ones to block and which to leave.

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

There is also a quite good paywall blocker extension for Chrome.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Mooseontheloose posted:

What if Ed Robertson picks a guy named Brandon?

Brandon we never really knew each other anyway

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Virginia, please don't gently caress this up. A choice between a proto fascist and a boring dude isn't difficult.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Terminal autist posted:

So its ok for me to chant "gently caress joe biden" at a concert or some sport poo poo but chanting "lets go brandon" is unacceptable?

I would assume you're a right winger either way, unless there was clear context to the contrary.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Terminal autist posted:

So its ok for me to chant "gently caress joe biden" at a concert or some sport poo poo but chanting "lets go brandon" is unacceptable?

I would also be concerned if the pilot of my plane was on the loudspeaker saying "Play Freebird!" or "Yer Mother's a whore, Jeter!" or singing "We are the champions" , and those things aren't neo-nazi adjacent

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Somewhat related, Philadelphia this week became the first U.S. city to ban the police from pulling people over for minor traffic offenses.
Much as I appreciate my home city doing this, it's a little telling that the easiest and quickest way to stop cops from killing civilians at traffic stops is to eliminate traffic stops.

ACAB

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Hellblazer187 posted:

I would assume you're a right winger either way, unless there was clear context to the contrary.
right? that's what i'm so confused about, it's almost like no one is reading the entire conversation before responding.
if you walk up to me and shout "gently caress joe biden" i'll assume you're an rear end in a top hat, if you shout "let's go brandon" i'll assume you're a fascist rear end in a top hat. *shrug* no different than if you have a pepe frog or swastika tattoo.
"a hit dog will howl" and i'm assuming we're accidentally calling out a whole bunch of people with hilarious bumper stickers itt so: #notallchanters

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

Dpulex posted:

Virginia, please don't gently caress this up. A choice between a proto fascist and a boring dude isn't difficult.

Ah yes, but if the boring dude doesn't inspire you to get out and vote for them, then who can really say which is the better choice?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

AmiYumi posted:

I’m going to a party with my partner to socialize with other adult humans, which is probably why I don’t fit in so good here in D&D.

:raise: You spend an awful lot of time posting in this thread about having better things to do than posting in this thread.

eta:

AmiYumi posted:

Since it’ll need to be refreshed anyway, can we start putting “discuss XX topic in its dedicated thread, [here]” links in the OP? If nothing else, it might finally cut down the pages of sass every time one of the same bad faith posters struts in with a lukewarm take trying to restart primary chat or w/e

I do hope "bad faith" is clarified for all the folks champing at the bit to wield it. :wink:

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 31, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"Lets Go Brandon/gently caress Joe Biden" is the stupidest troll and stupidest hill to die on. Just ignore it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

"Lets Go Brandon/gently caress Joe Biden" is the stupidest troll and stupidest hill to die on. Just ignore it.

Is that mod hat on or mod hat off?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

Is that mod hat on or mod hat off?

Mod hat off. Frankly I think its a stupid phrase personally, but the fact that the Right wing makes tons of stupid catchphrases, and this is just another in a large pile, I just don't see why people should be surprised or shocked about it.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

That would seem the sensible thing to do, but I'd say this thread has aptly demonstrated why it's had (and may continue to have) staying power despite the facial stupidity: it's got about the best possible ratio of effort to results of any recent political meme. A zero effort expression of uncontroversial disdain for a Democratic politician that prompts incredibly revealing and genuinely off-putting and/or offensive meltdowns. The comparison someone made to ArfJason's style actually seems fairly apt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LGD posted:

That would seem the sensible thing to do, but I'd say this thread has aptly demonstrated why it's had (and may continue to have) staying power despite the facial stupidity: it's got about the best possible ratio of effort to results of any recent political meme. A zero effort expression of uncontroversial disdain for a Democratic politician that prompts incredibly revealing and genuinely off-putting and/or offensive meltdowns. The comparison someone made to ArfJason's style actually seems fairly apt.

Maybe, I think its incredibly weird that it does have staying power, because after 1/6 and the entire mud slinging of the 2020 election cycle anyways, why is THIS the line too far? It makes no sense. I'd rather focus on the outright clear threat other things the Right is doing right now than this stupid phrase.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Zeron posted:

The existing building serves like...less than 700 students. The new one will have 4500. It's uh, really not as simple as just scaling it up and not having windows is just the beginning of the problems with such a thing.

Yeah, I don't know why people keep coming in to go "Oh that building looks fine to me!" when a professional architect has pointed out all the problems and felt so strongly he resigned. Like, if you're looking at that thing and thinking it doesn't look so bad, it was designed by an amateur architect who supports Trump and only gets buildings built by donating all the money and forcing it. If this was two doctors I know exactly which one people would be trusting.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

CommieGIR posted:

If people could just ignore it democrat party would not be a controversial thing to post here

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
We know the old saying of what conservatism truly believed, of in groups the law protects but doesn’t bind, our groups the law binds but does not protect. The shedding of dog whistles by being openly racist is an expression of your in group not being bound, the use of dog whistles like Lets Go Brandon is used to identify yourself as part of the in group. While you could find all sorts of useful sociological additional benefit in say, folks debating how dumb the phrase is while the conservatives don’t care, the conservatives are largely unaware of them. They are mostly chasing the warm feeling of proclaiming their position among the in group.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

CommieGIR posted:

Mod hat off. Frankly I think its a stupid phrase personally, but the fact that the Right wing makes tons of stupid catchphrases, and this is just another in a large pile, I just don't see why people should be surprised or shocked about it.
can i get a clarification here on what you think the other side is?
i know your side: it's just more rightwing nonsense and should be ignored.

and i know my side: let's assume the people chanting the chud chant are chuds and frown on displaying it in public or letting authority figures express this code. this seems reasonable to me, what's this weird point of view everyone is fighting against?
like:

quote:

That would seem the sensible thing to do, but I'd say this thread has aptly demonstrated why it's had (and may continue to have) staying power despite the facial stupidity: it's got about the best possible ratio of effort to results of any recent political meme. A zero effort expression of uncontroversial disdain for a Democratic politician that prompts incredibly revealing and genuinely off-putting and/or offensive meltdowns. The comparison someone made to ArfJason's style actually seems fairly apt
what is this implying? who's "melting down"?
"oh look: more chud behavior"
"it's just the 'ok' sign, bro!"
"maybe we all need to calm down!!!"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

NecroBob posted:

Ah yes, but if the boring dude doesn't inspire you to get out and vote for them, then who can really say which is the better choice?

tbf the fascist is inspiring people to get out to vote for him, by being a lovely fascist. The boring dude could also try inspiring people by trying to do good things but this is apparently unreasonable

Blind Duke posted:

We know the old saying of what conservatism truly believed, of in groups the law protects but doesn’t bind, our groups the law binds but does not protect. The shedding of dog whistles by being openly racist is an expression of your in group not being bound, the use of dog whistles like Lets Go Brandon is used to identify yourself as part of the in group. While you could find all sorts of useful sociological additional benefit in say, folks debating how dumb the phrase is while the conservatives don’t care, the conservatives are largely unaware of them. They are mostly chasing the warm feeling of proclaiming their position among the in group.

I'm pretty sure they're just Owning The Libs rather than doing the nazi code bit. Actual white supremacist dogwhistles like 1488 and fren and whatnot tend to be more directly malicious than just telling an old man he sucks

e: Like I know "just don't respond lol" is an old excuse but they're really just doing it because the media is clutching pearls over it super hard

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 31, 2021

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Booourns posted:

I was saying let's go Brandon

I just wanted to highlight this as an all-timer post/user-name combo.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, it's dumb and harmless on its own. I just marvel at the "Well if it owns the libs so hard it must be cool and good actually!" side of things. I mean, that's not really surprising or shocking either, but still.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yinlock posted:

tbf the fascist is inspiring people to get out to vote for him, by being a lovely fascist

I'm pretty sure they're just Owning The Libs rather than doing the nazi code bit. Actual white supremacist dogwhistles like 1488 and fren and whatnot tend to be more directly malicious than just telling an old man he sucks

e: Like I know "just don't respond lol" is an old excuse but they're really just doing it because the media is clutching pearls over it super hard

Now I'm just thinking about American History X neo nazis reading this thread and getting super heated people think Let's Go Brandon is their thing and not lame boaters for trump poo poo. It's very funny.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

CommieGIR posted:

Turns out fascist Boomers are terrible at memes

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Dpulex posted:

The last 20 years(which is about as long as I've been politically aware!) have taught me that it's apparently a very difficult choice for some people

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Booourns posted:

I was saying let's go Brandon

Thank you for this.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Also, in typical conservative fashion, this is going to escalate until some innocent person named Brandon gets hurt or killed

All because they wanted to spite a reporter

Never forget that spite is one of the fundamentals of conservatism

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, it's dumb and harmless on its own. I just marvel at the "Well if it owns the libs so hard it must be cool and good actually!" side of things. I mean, that's not really surprising or shocking either, but still.

Not totally harmless on its own. Intentional or not, it is one more public way to identify with and reinforce right wing thought and that is definitely not harmless.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Trazz posted:

Also, in typical conservative fashion, this is going to escalate until some innocent person named Brandon gets hurt or killed

LOL yeah this is gonna suck real hard for at least one kid named Brandon.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Fren has been a cutesy way of saying friend in internet uwu-speak far longer than its been co-opted by internet neonazis. People saying fren to each other are not likely to be using secret white supremacist code. This is turning into moral panic lmao

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Lets Go Brandon reminds me of when Clinton's campaign made pepe's a right-wing icon with that very, very stupid article; it would die pretty fast if it had just been ignored. Instead it's now apparently a nazi slogan, a triumph of the right, the realization of fascist violence, and worthy of getting the vapors over on an airplane. It has power because it's being given power.

As for the message itself, it was a NASCAR audience naturally slagging off Biden, ignited by an amusing reinterpretation by a journalist. It has no inherent baggage to it and caught extreme visibility early on, nothing like the "OK" hand gesture or any of the other alt-right pre-planned nonsense. Someone just has to dislike Biden to find it cute, and evidently that's a lot of people.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's almost sundown in EDT, so screw USNews posting for a moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpEfX1IKEak&t=18s

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Froghammer posted:

Turns out fascist Boomers are terrible at memes

It's a millennial who coined it, lol.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Turns out that non-fascist non-boomers are terrible at memes, too.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
To underlie the point being made:

https://twitter.com/TristanSnell/status/1454801643824979969?t=v3SigstguhE6DipjoMcRiA&s=19

This is the absolute loving worst way to respond to this meme. Not only do you ascribe incredible power to this meme, not only do you work yourself into histrionics over a boomer joke, you trivialize one of the most evil regimes of the 20th century.

Things can be bad without being fascist!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Trazz posted:

All because they wanted to spite a reporter

Never forget that spite is one of the fundamentals of conservatism

Ok, when I stop laughing tell me whether this is satire or you're serious.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Two new national polls out today.

NBC poll:

quote:

In the poll, 42 percent of adults say they approve of Biden’s overall job as president — a decline of 7 points since August, with much of the attrition coming from key parts of the Democratic base.

That’s compared to 54 percent who say they disapprove of the president’s job, which is up 6 points since August.

The poll finds 40 percent of Americans approving the president’s handling of the economy (down 7 points since August), and 51 percent approving of his handling of the coronavirus (down 2 points).

Maybe even more troubling for Biden, just 37 percent of adults give him high marks — on a 5-point scale — for being competent and effective as president, and only 28 percent give him high marks for uniting the country.

When asked which party better handles particular issues, Republicans hold double-digit advantages on border security (by 27 points), inflation (24 points), crime (22 points), national security (21 points), the economy (18 points) and being effective and getting things done (13 points).

By contrast, Democrats hold double-digit edges on abortion (by 10 points), the coronavirus (12 points) and climate change (24 points), but all of those advantages are smaller than those the party enjoyed during the 2020 election.

ABC/Ipsos:

quote:

Although a majority (55%) of the public is following news about the negotiations at least somewhat closely, about 7 in 10 (69%) Americans said they know just some or little to nothing about what's in both bills. Fewer than half (31%) said they know a great deal or good amount. Despite Republicans having sat on the sidelines while the White House works exclusively with congressional Democrats to get both bills to the president's desk, the lack of knowledge extends across all parties.

Americans also do not feel like these bills would help them or the U.S. economy if they become law.

The ABC News/Ipsos poll, which was conducted using Ipsos' KnowledgePanel, found that a plurality (32%) of Americans think the bills would hurt people like them if they became law, while fewer (25%) think it would help them. Nearly 2 in 10 (18%) think the bills would make no difference, and 24% said they didn't know.

Even among Democrats alone, fewer than half (47%) think the two bills would help people like them. A quarter of Democrats think the bills would make no difference for people like them and about 2 in 10 (22%) don't know how they would impact their lives. Nearly two-thirds (64%) of Republicans think the bills would hurt people like them, and so do about 3 in 10 (29%) independents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I refuse to take this FWD: FWD: FWD tier poo poo nobody cares about beyond political cartoonists seriously

I will never respect anybody who is afraid to swear