Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

James Garfield posted:

merge California with Texas (to add 39 democratic electoral votes while annoying as many people as possible)

I honestly think this would cause a civil war :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

One of D.C.'s current Shadow Senators goes by the name "White Mike."

His name is Michael D. Brown and there is another D.C. politician (who is black) named Michael A. Brown.
Oh for fucks sake

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Grouchio posted:

Oh for fucks sake

One of his opponents for city council claimed that voters would be confused and vote for Michael D when meaning to vote for Michael A, so he literally sent out flyers with photos of both Michael Browns.

DC also has a shadow representative by the way, which is a volunteer position that was authorized by DC voters 40 years ago but of course has never been approved by Congress so probably won't actually mean anything even when DC gets statehood. Oye Owolewa was recently elected to the position and he seems like a pretty rad dude with a pretty bad websitehttps://www.oye4dc.com/.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1384556843662553094

Jim Jordan has been getting yelled at a lot lately

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

zoux posted:

What's the context here?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

zoux posted:

Is there anything... that can be done about his attitude? Literally, in any other job this kind behavior would not be tolerated.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there anything... that can be done about his attitude? Literally, in any other job this kind behavior would not be tolerated.

Not really. I guess the DoJ could open an investigation into his culpability into rape and abuse in the Ohio State wrestling program. 2/3s of all Reps could vote to expel him. The minority leader could do a number of things to punish him, but he won't.

I'll point out JJ has always done this poo poo, it just seems like Democratic patience with it is exhausted.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 20, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

He can be removed from the committee by the Democrats, same as happened with MTG. He can be censured by a majority of the whole House and ejected from the House with a 2/3 majority

e: and yeah you could go fishing in his closet for skeletons and turn up a lot, but in terms of pure congressional procedure in absence of pressure from Republicans the above are the options

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I guess they could censure him like the R's are gonna try to do to Maxine Waters (who needs to loving retire)

https://twitter.com/PunchbowlNews/status/1384587487524360196

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

zoux posted:

I've heard - though I haven't read the bill of course - that as far as a drafted piece of legislation, HR1 is pretty bad. Sounds very Christmas-tree, loaded with all sorts of individual rep pet projects and unintended consequences. For example, one issue I saw was the automatic voter registration provision could accidentally register non-citizens to vote, since non-citizens can receive government IDs, and open them up to a whole new world of federal elections violations. The goals are good but as far as the details go, it needs a lot of work.

Where are you seeing these “issues?” The automated voter registration example you’re giving is baseless scaremongering.

Washington has automated voter registration when you apply for a driver’s license, ID card, or sign up for various services. Citizenship isn’t a requirement for getting a driver’s license/ID, or for many government services. The problem of noncitizens (or any other ineligible voter) accidentally registering is solved by putting an opt-out box on forms that trigger automatic voter registration, along with instructions that say “if you’re not eligible to vote, you have to check this box.” We do not have a problem with noncitizens accidentally registering to vote.

HR1 would require exactly that, including the instructions. Huge chunks of the bill are just requiring the expansion of known best practices that have already been well-vetted in places that care about allowing and encouraging voting.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Fritz the Horse posted:

To contribute:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1384493137213726723

Some details on Biden's second big package, this time focused on "families"

Universal pre-K and community college? :eyepop:

universal pre-k feels like it would be such a sea change moment. my mother in part chose her career path based on which employers provided low cost daycare, because it was the only way she would be able to work. and that was decades ago, i have to imagine the situation for parents is even worse now

on a separate note, it is very disappointing to see the white house pushing for a four year extension of the child tax credits rather than making them permanent. seems like they want to use it as a cudgel during the election, but that's playing with fire. we need to lock in as much as possible for as long as possible right now, it's a major risk to assume they'll be any window for governance after this session of congress

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

Where are you seeing these “issues?” The automated voter registration example you’re giving is baseless scaremongering.

Washington has automated voter registration when you apply for a driver’s license, ID card, or sign up for various services. Citizenship isn’t a requirement for getting a driver’s license/ID, or for many government services. The problem of noncitizens (or any other ineligible voter) accidentally registering is solved by putting an opt-out box on forms that trigger automatic voter registration, along with instructions that say “if you’re not eligible to vote, you have to check this box.” We do not have a problem with noncitizens accidentally registering to vote.

HR1 would require exactly that, including the instructions. Huge chunks of the bill are just requiring the expansion of known best practices that have already been well-vetted in places that care about allowing and encouraging voting.

Oh just osmosis through twitter. That particular voter thing came from a defense attorney, but I can't find the relevant tweet. David Dayen, who is a go-to guy on policy, also isn't impressed:

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1381960332835311620

My issue isn't with any of the goals of the bill, it's specifically that people I trust on policy say there are problems with the drafting of the bill.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What's the new flag gonna look like

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/JanNWolfe/status/1384590351785238533?s=20

Looks like we have about an hour to see if poo poo is going to go down in Minneapolis.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

universal pre-k feels like it would be such a sea change moment. my mother in part chose her career path based on which employers provided low cost daycare, because it was the only way she would be able to work. and that was decades ago, i have to imagine the situation for parents is even worse now

NYC got universal pre-K not long ago and while I'm not in a position to benefit from it it's been really good overall

cr0y posted:

What's the new flag gonna look like

:ussr:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hold onto your butts

https://twitter.com/webster/status/1384589453490933766?s=20

To be clear, this person is talking about Central time

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hold onto your butts

https://twitter.com/webster/status/1384589453490933766?s=20

To be clear, this person is talking about Central time

*This time* we will hold someone who committed murder in broad day light in high definition video accountable.

He's gonna walk. How many times are we going to fall for this?

However that was a drat quick deliberation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would simply read the goddamn verdict instead of issuing a teaser

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

goethe.cx posted:

https://twitter.com/JanNWolfe/status/1384590351785238533?s=20

Looks like we have about an hour to see if poo poo is going to go down in Minneapolis.

A relatively short deliberation for these charges almost always means guilty in a normal circumstance.

But, since this is a case with a cop, I could see a very quick not guilty happening due to having no faith in the general public.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

zoux posted:

I would simply read the goddamn verdict instead of issuing a teaser

If it goes badly, there will be trouble downtown so this is precautionary so folks down there can get out.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

on a separate note, it is very disappointing to see the white house pushing for a four year extension of the child tax credits rather than making them permanent. seems like they want to use it as a cudgel during the election, but that's playing with fire. we need to lock in as much as possible for as long as possible right now, it's a major risk to assume they'll be any window for governance after this session of congress

They should be permanent, but I'm guessing they're betting that if people get used to them for the next four years, there will be hell to pay for anyone who tries to take it away.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

They should be permanent, but I'm guessing they're betting that if people get used to them for the next four years, there will be hell to pay for anyone who tries to take it away.

There probably aren't votes to make it permanent now. A four year extension probably does have the votes (or is at least close), and then they'll have some data to convince the holdouts.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

zoux posted:

There's no way that's true

https://twitter.com/fineout/status/1384551935823470594

NCAA has basically strangled this nascent "we're just trying to protect women's sports" back door bigotry in its crib

nCAA did something good. Is that even possible?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Silly Burrito posted:

The actual reason is reconciliation rules. They would need to raise more revenue with the bill or cut spending elsewhere to make it permanent outside the 10-year window. The bill is already only going to be partially funded through tax increases and the rest through deficit spending that doesn't need to be renewed after 10 years.

The White House either doesn't think they can get 50 Democrats for an extra $800 billion in tax increases or doesn't want to negotiate cutting down other priorities in favor of it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cr0y posted:

*This time* we will hold someone who committed murder in broad day light in high definition video accountable.

He's gonna walk. How many times are we going to fall for this?

However that was a drat quick deliberation.

well van dyke was found guilty of 2nd degree murder, so it's not completely unprecedented

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

predicto posted:

NCAA is poo poo when it comes to paying their players but very good when it comes to culture war bullshit.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

predicto posted:

Female athletes embarrassed the gently caress out of them this year.

If they did anything good give the credit to women not the NCAA

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

well van dyke was found guilty of 2nd degree murder, so it's not completely unprecedented

I mean, his accent was pretty bad in Mary Poppins, but I didn't think anyone DIED from it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

No way he walks, even if you love the cops this is high profile enough where you can rationalize him as being the “bad apple” that has to go.

Sentencing is where I’m ready to be disappointed.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

This isnt directed at you but it says a lot about how hosed this country is where "one time we set the precedent of holding murderers accountable"

FCKGW posted:

:same:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FCKGW posted:

No way he walks, even if you love the cops this is high profile enough where you can rationalize him as being the “bad apple” that has to go.

I'll sign on to this. Guilty, but light sentencing.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

My attorney wife said its a bad sign for Chauvin if they came back this quickly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Data for Progress, which.....eh, had 67% of voters polled saying Chauvin was guilty. I'd be interested in how that compares to past cop murderers. Is this the highest profile cop murderer we've had so far?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I think what Maxine Waters said was a non issue and it seems to be a great fly trap for people that aren't seeing the same thing I am for some reason.

God I'm nervous about the chauvin verdict

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think what Maxine Waters said was a non issue and it seems to be a great fly trap for people that aren't seeing the same thing I am for some reason.

The House just voted to table the censure resolution against Water, so the whole "saga" is over already.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cr0y posted:

This isnt directed at you but it says a lot about how hosed this country is where "one time we set the precedent of holding murderers accountable"

:same:

yeah, and to sentencing being disappointing, van dyke only got 81 months, of which who knows how much he'll serve

it's hard to call it justice

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What'd Waters say that has all these reactionaries clutching their pearls?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

That people should protest a not guilty verdict

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

My attorney wife said its a bad sign for Chauvin if they came back this quickly.

This. The exact quote I heard was 'if its long, its wrong' meaning they're talking themselves out of the right answer (guilty).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Something like "If Chauvin is acquitted, take to the streets"

So that's beyond the pale for these people, but inciting an insurrection at the Capitol is nbd