Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

evilmiera posted:

That is uuuh, some dedication to us not solving this adventure legitimately.

That's not the book's fault, or at least it's not this specific book's fault. It's the stats, and the combat system in particular. Consider a hypothetical Fighting Fantasy book where we generate stats and fight a single SKILL 7, STAMINA 8 opponent and have to win to, well, win. The book contains the following states at bare minimum:
  • You haven't rolled any stats yet. (This is the state you score to find out your overall chances of winning the book.)
  • You have died. (The score is 0.)
  • You have won. (The score is 1.)
  • You are involved in combat. Immediately after generating your stats, this creates 396 possibilities, one for each of your combinations of starting stats. Overall, if you're going to have the full rules for Testing your Luck, you're going to need states covering:
    • Your Initial SKILL (and therefore your SKILL) being 7 through 12, inclusive.
    • Your Initial STAMINA being 14 through 24, inclusive.
    • Your STAMINA being 1 through 24, inclusive, capped by your Initial STAMINA.
    • Your Initial LUCK being 7 through 12, inclusive.
    • Your LUCK being 1 through 12, inclusive, capped by your Initial LUCK.
    • Your enemy's STAMINA being 1 through 8, inclusive.
That's three non-combat states plus 6 * (24 + 23 + 22 + ... + 14) * (12 + 11 + ... + 7) * 8, or 3,430,944, combat states. So yeah. The solver was a non-starter to begin with.

...and in other news, the update that was supposed to be part of this post got eaten when I mis-clicked trying to copy information from a previous post. An actual update tomorrow, when I'm recovered enough to do all that typing again.

e: corrected error in formula.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Keldulas posted:

Given that the half-orc is dead if you dally in town, I'm going to guess that we need him alive for something. Help the half-orc

This is the correct call. But what happens if we don't make it?

Reference 251 posted:

You step over the miserable Half-Orc and kick the creature viciously for daring to bump into you. A great cheer goes up from the crowd of onlookers. "Leave him be, creature," says the bare-chested villager. "I will finish the muck-faced worm off." But his words are too late. You are locked in battle with the creature:

HALF-ORC    SKILL 6    STAMINA 6

If you defeat the creature, turn to 367.

Reference 367 posted:

Only the Half-Orc's attacker is disappointed to see the miserable creature drop down dead. The villagers applaud and user you into the hut to drink a toast to your victory. If you refuse their hospitality, turn to 107 to leave Coven. If you accept their invitation, turn to 395.

We're not leaving without a toast!

Reference 395 posted:

Inside the hut is a counter and from behind the counter someone passes you a bowl full of liquid. The bemused villagers watch as you cup the bowl, sniff the liquid, and finally pour it down your throat. The taste is rough and your stomach seems to be undecided whether or not to heave the ale back up again. But instead it decides on a hiccup followed by a great throaty belch which delights the villagers. They laugh at your bewildered expression and the bowl is once more filled up for you to drink again.

Several bowls later you are feeling decidedly light-headed. The villagers eventually leave the hut and you stagger back out on to the street to continue your journey. You may add 3 STAMINA points for the ale, but you must reduce your SKILL by 1 until the effects of the ale have worn off. This will be indicated by ** in the text. Now turn to 107.

The two stars appear on a sign pointing to Dree on 130. We can get there from here, but if we get drunk at all we're doomed. So let's back the other horse.

Reference 291 posted:

Gasps go up from the crowd as you step up to the bare-chested human, your claws poised ready to strike. He has no weapon apart from his bare fists. The other villagers back away and leave the two of you to battle it out. The Half-Orc is still picking himself up, but shouts encouragement to you. Resolve your battle with the human:

VILLAGER    SKILL 7    STAMINA 8

If you defeat the human, turn to 438.

Reference 438 posted:

The villagers watch wide-eyed as their champion drops to the ground. Then anger takes over. "Rog is dead!" cries a voice. "Let's get that thing that done it!" One of them nips back into the hut and produces a pitchfork.

"Quick!" comes a gruff voice from behind you. "We must leave quickly. Come with me." The Half-Orc is beckoning you to follow him out of the village. You look again at the villagers and decide that his suggestion is a sensible one. The two of you continue, pursued by the villagers, until you reach the edge of Coven, where they stop and watch you leave, jeering and shaking their fists.

"A foolish thing to do, that," says the Half-Orc, his sly eyes glancing over at you. "Getting involved in someone else's fight. If I'd been you, I would have left you to fight your own battle. Chances are he would have killed me. But then what's that to you? And all because I ate his dog. What does he expect? I was hungry! I suppose I could have killed it first... Would you not have done the same? Well, wouldn't you? Lost your tongue? The silent type, eh? Well I am Grognag Clawtooth. Call me Grog. Which way are you heading? Carrying anything interesting? Shall we travel together?"

The creature is shorter than you are. He is dirty and he smells. His jet-black hair is untidy and has not been cut for far too long. His clothes are little better than rags, although he wears a thick leather breastplate and a battered sword hangs from his belt. The two of you will continue your journey together. For as long as he is with you, watch out for reference numbers. If you turn to any references ending in a 7 (e.g. 247), deduct 52 from it and turn to this new reference. Read the two together. Continue now by turning to 107.

107 is the trail out of coven where we hit a three-way crossroads. Previously it was a blind choice, but - what's this? A reference that ends with a 7? Whatcha got for us, Grog?

Reference 55 posted:

The road out of Coven leads you past a disused building. Grog stops. "Wait here," he says. "I buried something in this building before I entered Coven... er... just some worthless family heirlooms. Sentimental value. Back in a flash." He soon returns with a knapsack, which obviously contains something quite bulky - a box, perhaps. You are curious, but he makes no mention of the contents of his knapsack. "Look, you're a strange creature," he says as the two of you set off once more. "Nothing to say, nowhere to go. Where do you come from? Are you just wandering about? Or are you on some sort of mission?" You nod enthusiastically. "Ah, I see. But you can't talk?" You shake your head. "Hmmm. But you can shake and nod your head. Well! We're in no real rush, are we? Let's make a game of it. I'll try to find out about your mission and you can tell me whether or not I'm getting close to the truth. Is it something you're looking for, rather than someone?" You nod. "Do you know where it is?" You shake your head. And so the journey continues.

The trail sweeps round to the north until it eventually reaches a crossroads. Grog's face lights up. "I know!" he exclaims. "Rosina! She will help us! We must go west." Will you follow his advice and go west (turn to 177), or will you instead go east (turn to 203) or continue north (turn to 130)?

Well, we already knew visiting Rosina was a good idea, but it's nice to have it confirmed. We head to her hut and - What's that, Grog? You heard a seven?

Reference 125 posted:

"This is Rosina's cottage," announces Grog. "She'll be able to help. But you'll need some money to pay her with, so here's 2 Gold Pieces. Go inside. I'll wait here." You take the coins and then you must decide what to do. Return to 177 to make your choice.

With that, we don't even need the two Gold Pieces we got in the dungeon. Thanks, Grog!

Last time we were here, we didn't check the caves because I knew we'd be back here later in an winning state. So let's check them this time and get in a losing state. :v:

Reference 340 posted:

You enter the largest of the caves. It is quite deep and is pitch-black, so you can see very little of what is inside. Straw covers the floor and there is an unpleasant smell in the air. Suddenly your ears prick up! A snuffling noise is coming from deeper in the cave, followed by the dull clang of metal on rock. Your nostrils pick up the smell of animal sweat. Do you want to continue into the cave or will you instead leave whatever is in there in peace? If you want to go further in, turn to 451. If you want to leave, turn to 386.

386 is the 'we're done here' reference; we'll go there later.

Reference 451 posted:

You creep slowly into the blackness, your claws ready to strike. You can now hear the heavy breathing of a large animal close by. In an instant, the creature strikes! Two heavy blows crash down on your back and send you sprawling into the depths of the cave. The attack is accompanies by a shrill whinnying and you spin round to face your attacker. Silhouetted in the cave entrance you can see that your opponent is a frightened horse, which is balancing on its hind legs, ready to strike again! Lose 2 STAMINA points for the blows you have already taken. If you think the creature might make a tasty meal, you may fight it by turning to 355. Otherwise you may avoid the horse, leave the cave and make your way back to the crossroads by turning to 386.

Reference 355 posted:

The creature is not the ageing carthorse you expect. Instead it is a powerful stallion and it will put up quite a fight:

STALLION    SKILL 7    STAMINA 9

If you defeat the horse, you may eat its nourishing meat. Add 5 STAMINA points and turn to 386 to continue.

Okay, that didn't work out. We've been in Rosina's hut before and seen her fortune-telling. We also had the option to just leave again, which takes us somewhere we've seen. But what if violence is the answer?

Reference 151 posted:

Angrily you slash at the fortune-teller. Resolve your battle with Rosina of Dree:

ROSINA OF DREE    SKILL 8    STAMINA 7

If you defeat her, turn to 264.

Reference 264 posted:

Your final blow passes through thin air and the image of Rosina disappears slowly from view. A smile spreads across the face that you thought was showing the signs of exhaustion from defeat. The smile turns into a laugh, then a cackle and finally fades. You have been fighting a phantom! But your own wounds are real. Startled by this sorcerous trick, you leave the hut quickly and head down the trail back to the crossroads. Turn to 386.

So yeah. We buy our fortune and get the rope, then head toward the swamp, winding up on 307 (the Morton's fork we needed the rope to escape) - but what's that, Grog? Timmy fell down a seven?

Reference 255 posted:

"Wait!" cries Grog as you start across the clearing. "Look at this. Notice how all the footprints avoid the centre of the clearing? Perhaps it is unsafe. I suggest we keep to the outside." You follow him round the edge of the clearing towards the trail you have chosen. Have you chosen the trail to the north (turn to 267) or the trail to the north-east (turn to 114)?

These are the same choices 23, which we reach after using the rope, gives us.

So up until this point Grog hasn't been, strictly speaking, necessary; we can get here two gold pieces and one rope richer, but he hasn't been essential yet. And you might want to turn to 267 here based solely on it having a seven in the reference, but there's no indication that turning to 114 is a death sentence. Still, if we do turn to 267, where we get spooked by a creature while standing next to some plants, then subtract 52...

Reference 215 posted:

"You can go after that thing, whatever it was, if you like," says Grog, looking quite worried. "But I'd just like to get out of here safely." Return to 267 and make your next choice.

...we get sound advice we have to ignore, because, as Rosina said, we'll only find the Sculliweed here.

Reference 380 posted:

The riverside is a place of great natural beauty. At least, it seems to be natural, but there is always the possibility that someone has planted the colourful plants in their beds along the banks of the river. A tall green-stemmed reed is topped with coiled trumpets of purple flowers which hang down facing the river. These flowers are so beautiful that they have a hypnotic effect on the fish of the river, which are attracted to the water beneath the reeds and can be seen swimming beneath them. Another blue-stemmed plant has no flowers but its glistening colour is quite remarkable and it has a strong herbal odour. Yet another plant has leaves which are perfect circles, red in colour. As you watch, one of the leaves drops into the river. The leaf seems to have some purifying effect: as soon as it touches the water, all cloudiness is gone from the area around the leaf; the water becomes crystal-clear until disturbed by the flow of the current. Another plant, out of reach in the water, has delicate flowers of silver. As the wind blows, the flowers whistle and tinkle together with an eerie, calming sound which makes you feel quite relaxed. You may, if you wish, gather a few of one of these types of plant before you leave. Which will you choose: the one with purple flowers (turn to 325), the one with a blue stem (turn to 106) or the one with the red leaves (turn to 181)?

As I said last time, we have a 1/3 chance of just guessing the right plant here, and of course Rosina told us what it was when we got our fortune told before. The question is: do you remember what she said? No fair cheating.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Well I don't quite remember but red's a nice color.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
blue sounds about right :)

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Blue stem sounds right, I think. Not sure.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Blue Pretty sure that is what I remember.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Given that the rope is a magical rope, I’m thinking that’s the important item to save. It’s also good to see that Grog isn’t a complete rear end in a top hat.

I could’ve sworn she said green, but blue is the closest to that so that I suppose?

Their method of putting in Grog’s interjections is interesting. Is it possible to get shoved back down in the caves with Grog?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Keldulas posted:

Their method of putting in Grog’s interjections is interesting. Is it possible to get shoved back down in the caves with Grog?

It is not, as you'll see in a moment.

Nobody voted for the purple plant:

Reference 325 posted:

This plant has mysterious properties. You may or may not get the opportunity to find out what it can be used for. If asked to present this plant to someone later in the adventure, remember the number twenty-seven. You you may leave the river-bank by turning to 18.

One person wanted the red plant:

Reference 181 posted:

This plant has mysterious properties. You may or may not get the opportunity to find out what it can be used for. If asked to present this plant to someone later in the adventure, remember the number eighty-one. You you may leave the river-bank by turning to 18.

And most of you wanted the blue plant:

Reference 106 posted:

This plant has mysterious properties. You may or may not get the opportunity to find out what it can be used for. If asked to present this plant to someone later in the adventure, remember the number forty-nine. You you may leave the river-bank by turning to 18.

Reference 18 posted:

You turn to leave the river-bank. But something is not quite right. You came along a trail, but that trail has now disappeared! Where you had expected it to be is now overgrown with tall rushes and the only trail leading away from the bank is the one to your left. Bewildered, you follow it until you reach a clearing. Turn to 315.

Reference 315 posted:

There are two ways on from this clearing and while you are deciding which to take, you are startled by a loud croaking noise which seems to come from immediately behind you. You spin round to find yourself facing a creature almost as large as you, with a huge head on a puffed-out body with warty skin. Its feet and hands are webbed. It opens a cavernous mouth and lets out a deafening croak, while its two glassy eyes blink slowly. In one hand it grasps a trident and it seems to want you to back into the centre of the clearing. But having seen the sloshy mud in the centre of the clearing, you are not sure whether you are all that keen to oblige. Will you back towards the centre of the clearing as the Toadman wishes (turn to 68), or would you rather fight the creature (turn to 145)?

Reference 145 posted:

The Toadman feints at you with his trident and you leap into action. Resolve your battle with the creature:

TOADMAN    SKILL 9    STAMINA 9

If you defeat him, turn to 287.

Reference 287 posted:

As the Toadman staggers and falls, you see more of the creatures hopping out from the reeds. What can you do against so many? A stabbing pain in the back reminds you that you will not have much choice in the matter. One of the creatures is behind you, jabbing you with a trident. Another steps forward and speaks to you. "None may enter the fens of the Toadmen," he announces. "Our marsh and our herb gardens are holy. They are for no eyes but our own. There is only one punishment for disobeying this law. That is D E A T H..."

There is nothing you can do against so many of the creatures. You may fight and you may even slay a few of the Toadmen. But their numbers will overwhelm you. And when they have subdued you, you will be dropped into the muddy Sinkpits of Bu Fon Fen to die.

Death #38: Cr

:objection:

Reference 235 posted:

In the heat of the battle, you have forgotten all about the little Half-Orc, who has disappeared. Then your attention is captured by his familiar figure making its way through the reeds behind the Toadmen. Grog is creeping round the back of the circle. You glance around. No one has noticed him! From the corner of your eye you watch as he takes off his knapsack and lays it on the ground by the trail, then steps stealthily through the reeds towards the Toadman leader. When the time is right, he takes a flying leap! As fate would have it, one of the Toadmen notices the Half-Orc at that very moment, and his trident flies through the air and sinks into Grog's neck in mid-flight. The Half-Orc dies instantly.

But the trident does not prevent his body from continuing through the air to collide with the Toadman leader, who tumbles into the Sinkpit in the centre of the clearing! When this happens, the Toadmen forget all about you and rush about, trying to prevent their leader from sinking. You take advantage of the situation and creep round the outside of the clearing. You pick up the poor Half-Orc's knapsack and make off along the trail.

A short while later you are leaving the marshes. When you are well away from danger, you become a little curious about what Grog carried in his knapsack. There is certainly something solid in there. You pull back the top and reach inside. Your fingers touch a wooden box and you pull it from the bag. It is closed with a delicate clasp which your awkward fingers cannot open. But apart from the box, Grog also carried a small vial of Potion of Fortune. If you wish, you may drink this and it will restore your LUCK to its Initial level. Then you may proceed by turning to 92.

Let's take a moment to respect Grog. May he enjoy the finest free-range dogs in heaven.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:pressf:

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Pouring one out for Grog, gone too soon.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
He was a fine companion, giving his life for a Creature such as we. Respects.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Reference 92 posted:

You continue along the trail. By now it is getting quite dark and a full moon is rising in the sky. You decide to sleep for the night beneath a spreading tree at the side of the road. You soon drift off to sleep.

You are tormented that night with a vivid dream. The three witch-women have returned. Each has hold of one of your limbs and is pulling it. The women possess tremendous strength and you feel as if you are being torn apart by the foul creatures. One of them seems to be trying to keep you from the other two, who are cackling gleefully: "Ours! The creature must be ours! To Dree for marrangha it must go!" The other is pulling your arm. "No!" she screams. "It shall not be! You shall have the creature only if it fails to bring us the Sculliweed!" Finally the three release their grip. "The root! The root!" they chant. "Give us the root!"

You wake up in a cold sweat. The tree is being blown by wind. A howling sound whistles through the branches and another sound mixes with it: Whoooo! Whooo! Psssh! Rhooo! Rhooot! Pssssh! Root! Root! The root! The root! The sound fills your ears and you spin round to see the grinning faces of the three Women of Dree! They are asking for the root. Do you have any plants with you? If so, you will have noted down a number. Add the number to this reference and turn to the new reference. If you do not have any plants with you, turn to 222.

Sure we have a plant. Was it... uh... purple?

Reference 119 posted:

"What!" screams the witch with glazed eyes. "We asked for Sculliweed, not for the Fishbait Flower! We cannot prepare our Potions of Fortune with Fishbait!" Turn to 222.

No, no, it was red, wasn't it?

Reference 173 posted:

"Fool!" cacles the blind witch. "Do you think we cannot tell the difference between Sculliweed and Purity Plant? What use is Purity Plant to us? We must prepare our Potions of Fortune, not cleansing balms." Turn to 222.

Reference 222 posted:

"Failed!" cries one of the witches from between black teeth. "The creature has failed! It has no root! Hyaaahhhh hee heeyah! Its future is ordained. Let us be gone. The creature deserves no higher destiny." The wind sweeps through the brances of the tree with the force of a gale. But as quickly as it rose up, it dies and soon all is still. The Women of Dree are gone! Unsure of what has happened to you, you settle down once more and drift off to sleep.

When you awake the next morning, the disturbance in the night is but a faint memory of a bad dream. As the rising sun warms the air, you set off. Add 4 STAMINA points for the rest and follow the path heading north-east, signposted towards "Bu Fon Fen". Turn to 134.

Now this is interesting. 134 is the entrance to Dree, but you may recall that, on 130, we encountered the intersection with a three-way sign - Dree, Coven, and Bu Fon Fen - that had what seemed the wrong exits. At the time, I wasn't sure if the sign had been rotated or if it was an error in the text. That intersection's sign pointing to the Fen was also pointed to Dree, which leads me to suspect that this is the same sign and that it was, in fact, rotated.

At any rate, those of you with good memories, who are most of you, will recall that Rosina said:

Reference 11 posted:

"You have been set an unfair task," she says. "For the blue-stemmed Sculliweed grows only in the Swamps of the Toadmen on the southern shores of the Deedlewater."

Reference 141 posted:

"Ssssooo!" hisses one of the witches, holding her hands high. "The creature sssucceedsss!" "Sculliweed root!" exclaims another. "Then indeed we are to be instruments of destiny! Give us the root. Then we may tell you what you must know." You hand over the plants to the witches.

"So be it," starts the black-mouthed witch. "The test has been passed. We must tell this creature of its past, its present and of its future. You are a creature of Zharradan Marr, this you know. You are his creature as he is ours. But now you must destroy our unholy son, for he seeks to alter the very balance of nature. Evil must not triumph over all; Chaos cannot reign supreme. For the balance is vital. We cannot get near Zharradan, for he knows that we would prevent his plans. But his vanity is great. You are his creation. He will not turn you from his door. And when you meet him, you must destroy him. When you do this you will save the balance. And your own truth will be revealed. We may not tell you more lest your thirst for knowledge be quenched and you abandon your destiny."

The sightless witch continues: "We do not know how you may meet Zharradan. But we can offer you one more ally. In Knot Oak Wood you must meet the white-haired Elf, Daga Weaseltongue. He can tell you how to enter the Galleykeep, for he has been there himself. But beware his words! Weaseltongue speaks untruths as if they were truths. Should the sentence begin with a vowel, then it is truth. Otherwise trust not his words. But this Ring of Truth may help you. Make sure you show it to him." They place a shiny jewelled ring on your finger. Should you meet Weaseltongue, he may offer you some information. You may gain more reliable information by revealing the witches' ring and deducting 50 from the reference you are on at the time, for you are able to see through his lies.

The witches continue: "We know not where in Knot Oak Wood he is, but we know this. The Ophidotaur is his ally. He will lead you to Weaseltongue. And we can lead you to the Ophidotaur. Just sleep when we have left. This is all we can say. Now we must leave you. But your gift to us will be used to produce a Potion of Luck. We shall try to bestow its powers on you from afar. Farewell."

With these words, the wind picks up once more and a gale whistles through the tree. The images of the witches fade in the wind and calm settles around you. A faint breeze blows across your brow and it seems to soothe you. You lie down once more on the ground beneath the tree and drift off to sleep. You may increase your LUCK score to its Initial level, as this encounter has indeed been fortunate.

When you awaken, you do not recognize your new surroundings. You are no longer under a solitary tree in a barren landscape. Instead you are in a rich forest! Birds twitter high above in the branches of the many trees which shade you from the sun. You look around and find that you are lying beside a flowing river, whose cool waters are gently spraying your face. You feel invigorated and you may restore your STAMINA to its Initial level. Turn to 423.

423 is where we encountered the Ophidotaur, though it wasn't named until after we chose how to interact with it. We had to deduce it was the Ophidtaur based on its appearance and/or the witches' instructions - either that or choose to ride it on our own. We then needed to succeed at a Test of Skill to be able to get to 366, fight off the brigands to rescue 'Whiteleaf', who says:

Reference 448 posted:

Exhausted from your battle, your attentions turn to the white-haired creature lying moaning on the ground. Seeing that the battle is over and that you mean him no harm, he turns towards you. As he speaks to you he winces in pain from his beating: "I offer you - aaaaah! - my thanks for your aid. My name is - oooh! - is Whiteleaf. I am - unnngh! - an Elf. Home for me is the village of Ethelle Amaene." He turns over on to his back and continues: "Aaahhhh, that's better... I know these woods well. Perhaps I can be of service to you in return?" What would you like him to tell you:
  • Anything he knows about Stittle Woad? Turn to 58.
  • What he knows about the Galleykeep? Turn to 269.
  • More about himself? Turn to 167.

The ring doesn't help us right this second - reference 398 is unrelated, part of the infinite loop of door death in the guard post - but I've italicized the lies in his speech anyway. As for the pieces of information he provides:

Reference 167 posted:

Whiteleaf beams with pride at the chance to tell of his adventures. "My family is well respected in our village," he starts. "My mother - rest her soul - was a lady-in-waiting to our Queen Ethilesse, while my father served in the Royal Guard. I earn my living tending our aviaries, for we of Ethelle Amaene are great bird-lovers. Our birds are trained to work for us, gathering food for our cooking-pots and herbs for our potions. Anyone who is trained in the art of bird-caring can communicate with the birds, whose wisdom is great. They know the solutions to most of our problems and want to help us. They carry me about in the woods and, any minute now, I expect Cheree and Chitta will arrive to take me back to patch up my wounds." He looks anxiously into the skies. Birds fly about above the trees, but none come down into the clearing. After waiting for a few moments, he decides to leave and sets off in the direction you arrived from, with a wave and another expression of thanks. Turn to 414.

Reference 117 posted:

You hold up the Ring of Truth. When he sees it, the white-haired Elf begins to shift uneasily. "Look, er..." he stammers. "I made a mistake. Pah! My memory! Getting worse, it is. I have been banished from Sittle Woad for - well, it's a silly thing really - for talking to a friend. I suppose he did happen to be one of Zharradan Marr's legionnaires, but he was a friend to me. At least I thought he was until he abused my friendship. And when I invited him to my village..." He is becoming quite distressed and does not want to tell you any more. He makes his way off into the woods. Turn to 414.

That's no help. Let's press him on something else.

Reference 58 posted:

"Stittle Woad is not far from here," he starts. "It is near the Rainbow Ponds. I would say it is two days' journey from here. Travel in an easterly direction, keeping the setting sun behind you. If you manage to find the vicinity of the village, do not look for it on the surface. It has remained hidden for so long because it is under the ground. More than this I may not tell." He picks himself up and stretches painfully. After dusting off his robes, he bids you good day and sets off. You watch him disappear. Turn to 414.

Reference 8 posted:

When he sees your Ring of Truth, he shifts nervously: "Oop! Ahh.. What am I saying? Of course; you said Stittle Woad, didn't you? Underground indeed! Silly me: the village is high in the tree-tops. Although I fear you will never find it and you are wasting your time looking. Our village is the home of the Vapours and while they remain safely in the village, sorcery disguises it to all but welcome eyes." He now wishes to go, and you watch him disappear into the woods in the direction you came from. You may now leave the clearing by turning to 414.

Nope, that wasn't it either. But you knew that; we want to know what he knows about the Galleykeep.

Reference 269 posted:

Whiteleaf spits in contempt. "The ground is cursed where that Ogre-breathed spirit Zharradan Marr treads!" he snarls. "It is my wish that the wind drops suddenly and he drops with it - to his death! Marr has sailed the accursed Galleykeep all his life, with its foul crew of blood-lusting beast-men. Someone should sabotage the floating hellpit, by holing its hull. I know how to get aboard. The Galleykeep comes to ground not far from here - just off to the west - when the wind dies down. Nothing would please me more than to see the accursed vessel plummet from the sky and crash to the ground, killing all on board!" The Elf finally picks himself off the ground and dusts down his robes. He thanks you again and leaves. Turn to 414.

Reference 219 posted:

You hold up your Ring of Truth before him and his tone changes. He shifts nervously from side to side. "Er, perhaps I have not remembered things quite accurately," he stammers. "It is not true that the Galleykeep comes to ground near here. It hardly ever comes to ground, for then it is too vulnerable. There are only two ways that I know of to get on board the Galleykeep. Every day, the ship goes gathering food for the crew. I have seen their catapult traps, which are scattered all around these woods. If you get yourself caught in a trap, you will be hoisted on board. All over the forest, they are. Alternatively you can search for Thugruff's Testing Grounds and have yourself recruited into the crew."

Weaseltongue backs away from you across the clearing. "Ermm, I... ah... suspect," he stammers, "that you wish to find Zharradan Marr and you wish me to help. That I cannot..." His face makes a grimace as he glances at the ring. "Of course. I must tell you what I know. For the Ring of Truth was forged by Elven smiths. If meet Zharradan you must, you will find him on the Galleykeep in a room with a certain symbol on the door. I know not this symbol, but I do have a clue as to its nature, contained in the words of this rhyme:

Weaseltongue's Rhyme posted:

When fire meets ice, who ends the fight?
Who stands between the two?
His symbol keeps them both apart,
Not red, nor white, but blue.

Reference 219 posted:

"I know no more that will help you," he adds hastily. "And now I must be going." He holds up his hand as a parting gesture and turns into the woods. You watch him go. Ahead, the path continues to the north, but you can see through the trees that it splits, one path leading to the east and the other to the west. Do you want to head north and then turn either to the east (turn to 272) or to the west (turn to 139), or would you rather ignore the path and set off through the undergrowth (turn to 189)?

Whether we go east or west, eventually we'll die, be it by Tree Spirits, Forest Imps, or one of those dang catapult traps. But what if we don't stumble across one of those traps?

Reference 189 posted:

You leave the clearing and stomp off through the undergrowth. Birds twitter excitedly as you crash through the woods and you turn your head up to watch them. Far in the distance you see a black shape, hovering in the sky. It is too large to be a bird and has none of the familiar shapes of a flying creature. The Galleykeep! You remember Weaseltongue's words. But how will you ever be able to find a hidden trap among all the trees? Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 341. If you are Unlucky, turn to 376.

If we're unlucky...

Reference 376 posted:

You thrash about in the woods, becoming increasingly frustrated by the hopelessness of your task. Test your Luck again. If you are Lucky, turn to 341. If you are Unlucky, turn to 336.

...we get another chance. But if we botch that one...

Reference 336 posted:

The Galleykeep looms closer and your frustration grows. If you had been in a calmer frame of mind, you might have noticed the Whipwood tree, bent over double and held to the ground by a rope passing through a stake and ending in a loop. Your next step takes you straight into the centre of the hidden loop, and your fate is sealed. The Galleykeep duly arrives to hoist its cargo of food on board. You will provide a hearty meal for the crew tonight...

Death #38: I feel like Creature tonight, like Creature tonight!

That's almost what we wanted to happen...

Reference 341 posted:

As you search through the woods on your seemingly hopeless task, the ship in the sky is becoming larger. It is coming your way! You begin to thrash about in frustration, but just then you see what you are looking for. Ahead of you - appearing much too obvious now you have spotted it - is a tall, slender tree, bent back on itself - a Galleykeep hunting trap! You pick yourself up and stare at the device.

"Pick yourself up"? So the thrashing was literally us falling on are back and going WAAAH WAAAH WAAAH like a big scaly baby?

Reference 341 posted:

The tree, a Whipwood, has been shaved of its branches. Its tip is held taut by a rope which ends in a ring. You study it until you are sure that you can understand how it works.

You wait, watching the slow arrival of the Galleykeep. At a suitable time, you spring the trap. The tree snaps upwards and you are hoisted through the air until you hang loosely at tree-top level. You are helpless! Your only hope is that the Galleykeep crew see you and pull you on board. The ship gets nearer. As the dark shape looms above you, a long pole reaches out over the side and pulls you up through the air. Your plan is working!

Sharp claws scratch at your scales as the hands of dark, foul-smelling creatures pull you up and over the side of the boat and drop you in a heap on the deck. Playing dead, you gather your strength and wait for a suitable moment to spring into action. Two pairs of rough hands grasp your shoulders and hoist you along the deck towares a guillotine, whose blade is poised and ready to drop. At that moment you make your move! You pull yourself to your feet and fling your two guards over the side of the ship. Two burling Goblins step forward with shortswords. You must resolve this battle. The creatures attack together:

SKILL  STAMINA
First GOBLIN     6       5
Second GOBLIN    5       5

This is it, folks! The final battle we have to fight to win the game. Which isn't to say we won't see more battles...

Reference 312 posted:

The commotion on deck has attracted the attention of other creatures. You can hear the sounds of footsteps and a cacophony of growling voices getting closer. You had better hide! Ahead of you is a door leading from the deck and you step through and close it behind you. You find yourself at the top of a staircase leading down into the ship. You carefully descend until you find yourself in a circular hallway with five doors leading from it. Behind you, the voices are shouting angrily on the deck above. They will soon be following you down the stairs, so you had better choose a safer hiding-place than the hallway! Each of the doors has a symbol on it. To your immediate left, the symbol is a jug from which water is pouring. The symbol on the next door is a burning fire. The next door has the symbol of a crown; the next a delicate snowflake; and finally the door to your right has a battle symbol on it: two crossed swords, painted in blue.

Reference 312 posted:

Which will you choose:
  • The jug of water? Turn to 346
  • The fire? Turn to 29
  • The crown? Turn to 129
  • The snowflake? Turn to 158
  • The crossed swords? Turn to 111
  • None of these? Turn to 302

One of these choices is instant death. Three of these are inevitable death. Two of these are safe; one of those is ideal. I'll show all of them, but which one do you think is right? And which wrong one do you want to see first?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 7, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

quote:

I think that the jug of water is the correct answer. The swords painted blue is the tricky decoy, but water is also blue, standing between the red of fire and the white of ice. Let's try the swords as the wrong answer.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

None of those start with vowels though, so aren't they all lies?

It is not clear to me if the "only sentences beginning with vowels are truth" applies once you show Weaseltongue the Ring.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 7, 2021

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I think the jug of water is right, but let's see the crown first.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I actually think crown is right, because it 'stands between the two' of fire and ice.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

This is difficult for me because I feel like to some extent, the crown, water, and swords could all fit the riddle.

I think I'll vote crown for the right answer, and let's not pick a door for our first bad end.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Water

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm not sure if we can answer this if Weaseltongue's lying (and the italicized text indicates he is).

Go for the sword, the only one not possibly indicated by the text e: dammit the swords are blue; never mind

Leraika fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 7, 2021

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Well let's reason it out.

quote:

If everything is true, the correct answer is none, as between ice and fire is the crown which is not blue. (it's likely golden or silver - the text doesn't state but i am assuming no malicious dick move)
If everything is false:

quote:

When fire meets ice, who ends the fight? Unclear how to reverse this.
Who stands between the two? an inverse would be NOT between the two, aka NOT CROWN.
His symbol keeps them both apart Does NOT keep them apart, but that still implies it's neither of the two so it has to be a jug OR swords.
Not red, nor white, but blue. - has to be red or white, not blue. The jug could be white.

The still points us to jug, OR neither if the jug is considered colorless.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

None of those start with vowels though, so aren't they all lies?

It is not clear to me if the "only sentences beginning with vowels are truth" applies once you show Weaseltongue the Ring.

I'm pretty sure the poem is correct. At least, you can decode it in a way that leads to the correct answer. As for the latter, I'm pretty sure it still applies, as his various 'whoops I made a mistake' statements all begin with consonants. Also, note that when he says Stittle Woad is underground (before using the ring), it's with a vowel, but when he says it's up in the trees (after using the ring), it's with a consonant.

Anyway.

Arzaac posted:

I think I'll vote crown for the right answer, and let's not pick a door for our first bad end.

You're correct about one thing:

Reference 302 posted:

Suddenly, you stop what you are doing and listen. Your ears have picked up a sound outside the door. "Ssshh!" hisses one voice. "We must surprise the creature, whatever it is. Remember what it has done to the gatherers. Get ready. Earth... water... fire... and air!" At that moment, the door cracks, bursts from its lock and crashes back against the wall to reveal a sea of ugly faces, straining to lunge forward at you! "Take the creature!" comes the cry, and they flood forward, bellowing their battle-cries. You have no chance against this horde of Hobgoblins and your adventure has ended here.

Death #39: By their powers combined, you are Hobgoblined to death!

As for the other?

Reference 129 posted:

The door has no handle. You try shoving against it. At first, the door will not budge, but then you hear a small click and your next push is successful. You step into the room and close the door behind you. Again you hear the click as the door swings to. The room has a porthole, but curtains have been pulled across it, so the room is dark. In the centre of the room is a large stately chair with ornate carvings on its legs and on its high back. A silent figure is sitting on the chair, wrapped in an elaborate red cape. Its eyes are closed and it is motionless. In one corner of the room is a pile of scattered bones. What will you do:
  • Investigate the figure on the chair? Turn to 452
  • Search through the pile of bones? Turn to 64
  • Turn round and leave the room? Turn to 347

This looks ominous. We should go.

Reference 347 posted:

You try the door but you cannot get a grip without a handle. Your claws dig into the wood and you pull hard, but to no avail. The door is closed tightly and is being held by some catch. You cannot open it. Will you instead examine the figure on the chair (turn to 452), or search through the bones in the corner of the room (turn to 64)?

Well, that's not good.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Let's wake the figure on the chair up from their nap. I'm sure it's perfectly safe!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

someone awful. posted:

Let's wake the figure on the chair up from their nap. I'm sure it's perfectly safe!

Reference 64 posted:

The broken bones on the floor seem to have belonged to a medium-sized creature. Many of them have marks as though they had been gnawed by some hungry beast with strong jaws. You bend down to look at them - and to see whether there may be any morsels of meat left - when a rustling noise from behind startles you. But before you are able to turn, you feel sharp teeth digging into your neck. The creature from the chair! Lose 2 STAMINA points. You must now resolve your battle with the hungry Blood Orc which stands before you:

BLOOD ORC    SKILL 7    STAMINA 5

If you defeat the creature, turn to 207.

Whoops, that was the wrong passage. Surely approaching the creature directly won't let it surprise us.

Reference 452 posted:

You step up to the chair and look at the figure. An ugly face protrudes from the red cape. Its strong jaws have sharp biting teeth, but the dark skin is stretched tightly over the creature's lumpy skull. The eyes bulge beneath its closed eyelids as if they were trying to burst out. You take the cape in your claw and slowly lift it. At that moment, the creature's eyes flick open! It springs from its chair and fastens its teeth into your neck before you have time to react! Lose 2 STAMINA points. You must now resolve your battle with the Blood Orc:

BLOOD ORC    SKILL 7    STAMINA 5

If you defeat the creature, turn to 207.

Welp.

Reference 207 posted:

You slump to the ground, exhausted from the fight. During the battle, the creature's red robe fell to the floor and this now catches your attention. You pick it up, admiring its richness and its feel. You stand up, swing it over your shoulders and proudly take a few steps, watching how it flows with your movements. You sit down again, happy with your new possession. But then a strange feeling comes over you. A pain in your stomach is followed by an overwhelming hunger. You must eat something! The dead Blood Orc lying at your feet suddenly looks delicious and you eat heartily. For the time being your appetite has been satisfied. Add 4 STAMINA points.

You are now ready to leave the room. You step up to the door and attempt to open it. But there is no handle. Your claws dig into the wood and you pull hard, but to no avail. The door is closed tightly and is being held by some catch. You cannot open it. You try charging the door, but it is much too strong for you to ever smash down. But your frustration soon turns to a quite different feeling as another wave of hunger spreads through you. Will you step over to the Orc's bones to suck them clean (turn to 109), or will you instead attempt to remove the red robe (turn to 21)?

I have a feeling I know how the Blood Orc got that way.

Reference 21 posted:

Although you are racked with the pains of hunger, your mind has made an intelligent deduction. Your hunger started when you threw the red robe about your shoulders. If you take the robe off, you should rid yourself of this curse. You grab the collar resolutely. But try as you may, you cannot pull it from your shoulders. Some powerful bewitchment is preventing your arm from flinging the robe to the floor! Incredulous, you struggle with yourself for some time, but finally give in to the mysterious force, which is much more powerful than your own will. Your hunger is now all-consuming. Turn to 109.

Reference 109 posted:

You sit down once more next to the Orc's carcass and begin snapping off the bones to clean every sliver of flesh from them. But there is little meat left on the body. What you do manage to eat does something to abate your hunger and your attention turns back to the door. No matter how you try, however, there appears to be no way through it.

Hours turn into days, which you spend alone, frustrated and starving, in the room. On the third day, a young Dark Elf arrives at the door and pushes it open. Relieved to have found a way out of the room, you spring up from the seat towards the door. But you so frighten the Elf that he flees from the room in terror, slamming the door shut behind him! No, you think. That is not the way to escape. When the next creature arrives, you must remain motionless until you can seize your opportunity to attack. Unfortunately for you, however, you are becoming weaker and weaker through lack of food. Your skin is being stretched across your skull and your eyes are bulging. When another creature arrives in the room, you will doubtless be too weak to put up a decent fight...

Death #40: Killed a starving creature? Became a starving creature.

That's one instant death and one inevitable doom down. That leaves two safe doors and two deadly doors out of the jug (346), the flame (29), the snowflake (158), and the swords (111). Which ones do you think are safe and which ones are doomed?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I figured it couldn't be the crown, it literally standing between fire and ice, it being the middle door, and the crown being a symbol of leadership, such as where the leader we're looking for would be, it was too obvious.

I say that the Swords and the jug are safe.

quote:

Lets go line by line.

A) Water ends the fight, because fire melts ice creating water, water extinguishes fire, leaving water behind (not AS much water as there was in the mass of ice, but still).
B) Fire melts ice, creating water between the fire and the ice, standing between the two.
C) See B, the water keeps the fire and ice apart, keeps them from touching
D) Water is associated with the color blue because of the way it refracts and scatters light.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Hooray, I've doomed us all! :toot:

Alright, then I'll have to go with Jug as the most probable safe route. I'm also thinking Fire and Snowflake are both deadly as well, which I guess leaves Swords as the other safe route?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Looks like two people agree that the jug and the swords are safe. Let's check the snowflake and see if it isn't.

Reference 158 posted:

The door opens into a large room, which is not the dark, dingy room you were expecting. It is well lit by sunlight streaming in through a large porthole in the far wall. Bookshelves line the walls, along with charts of the heavens. A desk in front of the porthole is laden down with books, charts and strange devices, and other bulky pieces of scientific apparatus stand on the floor. There are two side doors leading from the room and one is opening to let someone in.

"That's right. Come in, come in. Don't bother to knock. My room is your room. Bah! I'll not return to this cursed ship ever again. When we reach Dree, I shall leave and ride to Blacksand. You won't catch me on one of these damned cloud-ships again, that's for sure." He is an old man with long greying hair. He mutters away to himself, wrapped up in his own thoughts. Finally he turns towards you and looks over the top of his half-moon eyeglasses. "Yes? Well, come on! Lost your tongue, have you? Or are you just so stupid that you can't remember what you came for. If that Vallaska Roue wants another storm to appear, just so he can strike another poor Ophidotaur with a bolt of lightning, tell him not to waste my time, and..." He has noticed your look of bewilderment. "Look, you great brute, are you in the right place? Did you intend to visit me, Nimbicus? When people visit a Weather Mage, they normally want something. So? Ye gods! This creature's got the mind of a Jib-Jib. Fearsome out of sight; feeble in the light. Look. If you want something, speak to me. If not, get out!" He is getting impatient. Do you want to leave the room? If so, turn to 459. If you want to search round his room, turn to 303. Otherwise you may attack him (turn to 254).

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Loot the Weather Mage's room.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
303 Lightning the load.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Loot the Weather Mage's room.

Reference 303 posted:

You ignore his words and investigate the scientific instruments. But none of them mean anything to you. The Weather Mage is outraged at this uninvited intrusion. "Get out of here, beast," he screams. "Did you not hear me? This is not a playroom!" He holds his head back and closes his eyes. When he opens them, they are shining white. Will you make a hasty exit from the room (turn to 459), or will you wait to see what he is doing (turn to 47)?

I've established on multiple occasions that we never turn back from a decision, no matter how stupid it may be. That said, we could have tried attacking him:

Reference 254 posted:

An angry sneer spreads across your face and you step over to the Weather Mage, claws poised to strike. He backs away from you and holds his hand up. "Idiot creature," he scoffs. "Do you think one so brainless could possibly challenge one so versed in the mystic arts? I will enjoy toying with your life. It will be fine sport." You slash at him as he steps back and catch him across the arm. A red stain spreads across his sleeve, but he has hardly noticed your blow. His head has turned to face the ceiling; his eyes are closed. As you prepare to strike once more his eyes open. They are shining white? Will you continue with your attack (turn to 47), or will you quickly leave the room (turn to 459)?

But either way, we wind up at:

Reference 47 posted:

With shining white eyes, the Weather Mage turns towards you. He holds his hands in front of his eyes, and his long fingernails obscure them from you. When his hands finally lower, a small dark cloud hovers in the air before him. You are fascinated by this display and can do nothing but watch as the tiny cloud drifts across the room, and stops in mid-air, a short distance from you. A shrill whistling starts as the cloud begins spinning. Faster and faster it spins until its underside drops slowly to the ground, and the tornado drifts towards you. Too late you realize its deadly purpose. When the tornado touches you, even your great strength cannot prevent your being sucked inside and instantly crushed to death by the Weather Mage's creation.

Death #41: Everyone complains about the weather, but the Weather Mage did something about it.

The only winning move, as they say, is not to play:

Reference 459 posted:

You turn back towards the door. "I see you got the hint," mocks Nimbicus. "Don't bother apologizing for the fact that you have just ruined my concentration. I shall have to start reading my tome again. But don't let that worry you. Oh, no. Close the door on the way out. We probably won't meet again. Leastways, not if I see you first. Bah!" You leave the Weather Mage and return to the hallway. The noise outside is spreading, as more of the crew join in on the search for you. You must now choose another room. You quickly study the symbols again. Will you try:
  • The jug of water? Turn to 346
  • The fire? Turn to 29
  • The crown? Turn to 129
  • The crossed swords? Turn to 111
  • None of these? Turn to 302

So we've seen the safe path that doesn't lead to victory. We're down to the victory path and two death paths. Which path do you want to see next?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Let's follow the path of fire, why not?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_jNklBqVCA

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Let's follow the path of fire, why not?

Reference 29 posted:

The handle turns freely and you open the door. The room inside is lit by a single candle and your eyes adjust themselves to the dimness. The walls appear to be covered in a single continuous tapestry which depicts all sorts of scenes of death and carnage. Battles are being fought; creatures are feasting on other creatures; torture scenes are so vivid that you can almost feel the pain. You follow the tapestry, engrossed in its detail - so engrossed that you have not noticed the sinister figure seated in the shadows across the room. When it speaks, the shock of its deep voice makes you gasp!

"Who is this? Who dares disturb the rest of the Master of Hellfire?" You peer into the shadow to try to make out the figure, but you cannot see much more than the outline of a large figure, which heaves as it takes short breaths. As each breath leaves the creature, a gurgling sound comes from its throat. This noise is getting louder; the creature is rising from its seat! It stands up slowly and its silhouette becomes much larger than you imagined. Will you run from the room (turn to 113) or face it defiantly (turn to 143)?

Nope! We out.

Reference 113 posted:

You rush to the door and grab the handle. "Simple creature," says the figure in its gurgling voice. "You have the audacity to disturb my rest and believe you can simply run away from my wrath? You will pay the penalty. You will learn the real meaning of suffering!" The handle freezes in your hand. It will not budge! Turn to 143.

Well, that ain't good.

Reference 143 posted:

Your anger grows as the figure steps forward. The candle throws a flicker of light across its face and you can see that an expression of fury knits the creature's brow. You can also see flames burning in each of the creature's eyes, but perhaps these are only reflections of the candle flame. Nevertheless, your own eyes are held fast by the creature's stare. A hand reaches out and steely fingers close around your neck! You begin to choke, and are unable to do anything while you are transfixed by the creature's burning eyes. Finally you break its gaze and force its hand from your neck. You must resolve your battle with the creature:

MASTER OF HELLFIRE    SKILL 14    STAMINA 14

If you manage to reduce it to a STAMINA of 2 or less, turn to 266.

A SKILL of 14? Jesus Christ.

Reference 266 posted:

The figure drops to the floor and lies in a dark heap at your feet. Do you wish to investigate the body (turn to 194), or will you instead search the room (turn to 105)?

No one could possibly have survived that!

Reference 105 posted:

You ignore the creature and turn your attention once more back to the tapestry which hangs on the walls. Then a hand - a cold, clammy hand with bony fingers - lands on your shoulder! You spin round and stare into the face of a long-dead Zombie, whose decaying flesh is being eaten away by grubs. The figure on the floor has risen to avenge your attack! Your gaze has been captured by the creature's eyes, which are far from dead. The flames you saw are burning even brighter now. Suddenly, two streams of fire streak from its eyes and burn into your own! You scream in agony at the pain from your blinded eyes, and a slow smile spreads across the creature's face of death. It has only just begun its attack. Your death will be slow and painful.

Death #42: "You're dead. We killed you! We killed you!"

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Reference 194 posted:

You bend down to grasp the creature's body, which lies face down on the floor in front of you. You turn it over, unaware of the deadly surprise in store. For as the light falls on the creature's face, you see that the creature you fought has disappeared! In its place is the grotesque head of a long-dead Zombie, whose rotten flesh is being eaten by crawling grubs. Its fiery eyes are still alight and they once more capture your gaze. As you stare transfixed, the creature suddenly sits bolt upright and two streams of fire from its eyes burn into your own! You scream in agony at the pain, and a slow smile spreads across the creature's face of death. It has only just begun its attack. Your death will be slow and painful.

Death #43: I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE AND I BRING YOU

And then there were two. As you guys said, the jug is the correct option, so it's time to check out the swords!

Reference 111 posted:

The room you walk into is large but cluttered with innumerable items of a biological nature. Bookshelves line one wall to your right, while the wall opposite this is brimming with specimen jars. Straight ahead is a large pothole in the wall, letting ample light into the room, and there is a desk beneath the porthole. A bell rests on the desk among the papers and books, next to a long quill. To one side of the desk a human skeleton is hanging on a hook; to the other is a selection of anatomical charts pinned to the wall. There is a door to the right. Will you examine the desk (turn to 69)? Will you ring the bell on the desk (turn to 236)? Or will you examine the specimens in the specimen jars (turn to 97)?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Ring the bell. This is the crummiest establishment we've ever seen and we need service now!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Look at the various creepy crawlies in the jars.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

There are three reference we can turn to from here, but one of them is uninteresting:

Reference 69 posted:

The desk is solidly constructed. The papers scattered around are written in a strange language which consists mostly of numbers and symbols. You leaf through the books and find many anatomical diagrams of a variety of types of creature. The drawers are full mainly of more papers, but one drawer is locked. Do you wish to ring the bell (turn to 236) or examine the specimen jars (turn to 97)?

...and the other two...

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Ring the bell. This is the crummiest establishment we've ever seen and we need service now!

Reference 236 posted:

You ring the bell on the desk and scan the room suspiciously, waiting for something to happen. Nothing does. You watch both doors carefully. Again you try ringing the bell, but again there is no response. Your attention begins to wander towards the specimen shelves and the bookcase and you step over to the latter to look at the books. The largest volume is entitled Practical Anatomy of the Creatures of North-western Allansia by Doctor Quimmel Bone. The book next to it is by the same author and is entitled Transmutation Theory - Fact or Fantasy?

A voice comes from behind you: "Most definitely fact..." The voice startles you and you spin round to face the desk. "I see you are interested in my works," says the skeletal figure sitting behind it, teeth clattering excitedly. The hanging skeleton has disappeared - or rather is now sitting at the desk. "I am Quimmel Bone, physician and surgeon on the Galleykeep. Now, what do you want in here?" Will you spring over to attack him (turn to 31), or will you indicate to him you have some ailment which you would like him to treat (turn to 297)?

...lead to the same place:

Look at the various creepy crawlies in the jars.

Reference 97 posted:

The jars contain the eyeballs, brains, hearts and limbs of all sorts of animals. A jar half full of yellow liquid has in it a red lump of flesh the size of your finger and is labelled: "Firebreath organ - Hellhound". Another jar contains an organ which is smaller and green in colour. This one is labelled: "Invisibility organ - Snattacat". Suddenly your concentration is broken. "Do you find my specimens... interesting?" says a strange voice, talking in a series of clicks. You turn round in the direction of the voice, towards the desk. "No doubt you have come here for some medical advice," says the skeletal figure sitting behind it, teeth chattering excitedly. The hanging skeleton has disappeared - or rather is now sitting at the desk. "I am Quimmel Bone, physicial and surgeon on the Galleykeep. Now, what do you want in here?" Will you spring over to attack him (turn to 31), or will you pretend you have some ailment which you would like him to treat (turn to 297)?

Doc, I've got this ache in my skull!

Reference 297 posted:

You indicate to him that your wounds hurt and that you have a sore head. He invites you to lie down on his bed. The bed is much too small for you, but you manage to keep your balance and lie down while he examines you. The physician rises jerkily from the desk and totters quickly over to the bed. His bony fingers probe the areas around your wounds and rub the side of your head. "Hmmm. As I thought," he says, making an uncomfortable rasping sound as he scratches his head. "Your body has a mild poison circulating within it. I have an antidote." Quimmel Bone clatters across to a drawer and takes out a small flask. "Drink this," he orders. You hesitate, but he is insistent and becomes angry at your refusals. Will you drink the potion as he demands (turn to 228) or will you refuse and attack the creature (turn to 31)?

Given a second chance to avoid a reference? Oh, we never take those.

Reference 228 posted:

You lie back and relax while the physician pours the potion into your mouth. You become drowsy and eventually drift off into a peaceful sleep. Almost immediately, you start to have a disturbing dream, in which you are lying down and being attacked by knives wielded by a skeletal hand. You struggle to escape, but your movements are slow and ineffective. Again and again the knives are driven into your chest and abdomen.

The shock makes you wake up immediately. You are unable to move at all. All you can do is watch as a specimen jar is held over your chest and a bony hand drops an organ into it. The organ is beating and the thub-thub, thub-thub noise fills your ears. Your last perception of life is watching your own heart slowly stop beating.

Death #44: A nightmare come true!

Never mind. This was a bad idea. Attack!

Reference 31 posted:

Without hesitating to consider your actions, you spring at the skeleton creature. Seeing you advance, it grabs two surgeon's knives from the desk and faces you. Resolve your battle:

QUIMMEL BONE    SKILL 8    STAMINA 7

If you defeat the physician, turn to 359.

Reference 359 posted:

Battered and crushed, the physician drops to the floor. You catch your breath for a few moments. Will you now head for the door and leave the room (turn to 178), or will you continue looking round the room (turn to 407)?

Let's get while the getting's good.

Reference 178 posted:

You turn from the dead skeleton. But this is a mistake. For as soon as your eyes have left the undead creature, its bones knit quickly together. It grabs the knives and springs on your back! You must continue your fight with the physician:

If you defeat it, turn to 407.

Uh oh.

Reference 407 posted:

You glance towards the dead creature and move away quickly. But without warning, the skeleton's bones spring together to re-form Quimmel Bone and in an instant it has grabbed the two knives and is once more attacking you. Resolve this battle:

If you win, turn to 178.

Death #45: An invincible skeleton, and us with no pit to drop it into!

But that's not what happened.

Reference 346 posted:

The door opens and you step into a dingy room. Dust and cobwebs have begun to settle over the furniture and the curtains over the portholes are drawn. The room itself has an unmade bed against one wall. A wardrope door yawns half open, rocking as the Galleykeep sways and revealing elegant uniforms, now beginning to look a little dusty. You get a sudden fright when you see a creature staring at you, but relax when you realize it is only your reflection in a full-length mirror which hangs to the side of the wardrobe. Further round the room, there is a desk, covered in charts and maps, one of which protrudes from a folder marked "For Captain's Eyes Only". A spiral staircase to one side of the desk ascends to another hatchway which is closed. As you are making your way round the room, you get another fright when you bump into a long, thin, brass-trimmed device which stands on three legs and points out of the window. There is no one in the room, nor does it look as though it has been used recently. But you might as well investigate the contents. Which will you start with:
  • The wardrobe? Turn to 59
  • The mirror? Turn to 422
  • The desk? Turn to 246
  • The spiral staircase? Turn to 370
  • The brass-trimmed device? Turn to 225

We're in the home stretch now. There's only one death page we haven't seen, but there are still plenty of ways to die from here. How shall we die first?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the unluckiest Creature of all?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the unluckiest Creature of all?

Reference 422 posted:

The mirror has an ornate gold frame, but otherwise appears to be an ordinary full-sized mirror. You consider smashing the mirror, but it is possible that the noise may alert the crew to your whereabouts. Turn to 302.

302 is the reference where the Captain Planet hobgoblins bust in on us and murder us. Try again.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Fiddle with the brass device.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That feels lazy, even for this book. "The mirror is uninteresting. You decide not to check anything else out and leave".

Look at the Desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Fiddle with the brass device.

Reference 225 posted:

Your curiosity aroused, you step up to the device and study it. It does not seem to be a weapon of any kind. There is a polished, clear glass at each end. You place your eye up to the narrowest end and peer through. To your amazement you can see the trees in the forest far below as clearly as if you could reach out and touch them! Birds - and the occasional noisy Treehopper - flit about between the branches and spring for cover as the Galleykeep's shadow passes over them. In a small clearing you can see a thin, white-haired figure stepping into a pond of pink water, but again, as the ship's shadow comes into view, the figure darts off for cover in the woods. You are fascinated with your discovery and you spend time scanning the tree-tops with the device. Turn to 302.

Hm. Was that Weaseltongue?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That feels lazy, even for this book. "The mirror is uninteresting. You decide not to check anything else out and leave".

Look at the Desk.

Reference 246 posted:

The charts and maps are no doubt vitally important, but you cannot decipher them. In the drawers of the desk are papers, books and drawing-equipment. But one drawer is locked and you cannot open it. You grasp the handle and tug. But the drawer is firmly locked and does not budge. Again you heave at it but this time you only succeed in pulling the handle away from the front of the drawer! Your anger mounts and you flex your claws. You will smash up the desk to get into the drawer. The timbers split after your first blow. Turn to 302.