Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Head on east, young Creature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
West is the best.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Arcvasti posted:

Wow, that's even worse then Deathtrap Dungeon and the statue with emerald eyes, where prying out one eye will give you the gem you need to escape the Dungeon, but if you pry out the other it's filled with poison gas and instantly murders you.

It's possibly worse, in terms of being right in your face about it, but it's by very very far not the worst dick move in the book. Oh no. No no no no. There's some *gourmet* gently caress you in this book.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
West, to page 309 please.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

West, to page 309 please.

Reference 309 posted:

The passage continues west, then turns sharply to the right. A few paces along the corridor you reach a junction where you can either:
  • Go north. Turn to 371.
  • Go west. Turn to 280.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 24, 2021

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
West, west, west

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
north, just to be contrary

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Eeepies posted:

West, west, west

Reference 280 posted:

A short distance along the passageway you stop and listen. Distant footsteps and the clanking of metal warn you that creatures of some sort are heading in your direction. Do you wish to:
  • Return to the junction and head north. Turn to 371.
  • Continue in this direction. Turn to 342.

No, we're not going to turn around.

Reference 342 posted:

The footsteps and clanking get louder and louder. You can feel your anger rising and your lips curl back to bare your teeth. Suddenly the footsteps stop and you hear hissing noises. They have heard you approach! The passageway is rough and twisting and you are straining to see any signs of them ahead. You step nearer and nearer; and they are doing likewise. Finally, you reach a length of straight passageway. Ahead you can see the dull light of a glowstone and picked out in the light are two human faces. Evidently they can see you too, as their reaction is similar: you stare at each other for a few moments. They hold their ground. Do you want to:
  • Attack. Turn to 258.
  • Wait and see what they do. Turn to 432.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 24, 2021

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Wait and see. Time for a dramatic staredown.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Wait and see, Maybe they can tell us what all those weird metal circles we keep finding are :v:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
gently caress 'em up, son. Yer a creature now Harry !

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Havoc

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Kobal2 posted:

gently caress 'em up, son. Yer a creature now Harry !

Reference 258 posted:

With bared teeth and claws at the ready, you storm along the passage towards them. They stand their ground, draw their weapons and prepare themselves for battle. The leading adventurer lays a brown sack on the ground and raises his weapon as you approach. You must fight both adventurers one at a time; the passageway is not wide enough for them both to attack:

SKILL  STAMINA
WARRIOR               8       9
FIGHTER IN
    LEATHER ARMOUR    7       8

If you defeat them both, turn to 13.

Reference 13 posted:

As the last adventurer falls to the ground and silence once more fills the passageway, you pause to rest from the exertion. You squat on your haunches and look at the two battered humans in front of you. You may now choose to:
  • Feast on the bodies to regain some of your lost strength. Turn to 223.
  • Poke through the sack that the first adventurer laid to one side. Turn to 147.
  • Search the bodies for anything that might be interesting. Turn to 187.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 24, 2021

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Everybody knows the interesting stuff is in the sack.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Poke at the bodies, bodies hide more interesting stuff.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Lets clumsily destroy whatever fragile, irreplaceably valuable thing is in the sack

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Piss is stored in the sack.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

Everybody knows the interesting stuff is in the sack.

Reference 147 posted:

There is something solid inside the sack. You fumble with the cloth, but cannot seem to find a way inside. Eventually you become frustrated, pick the sack up and shake it.

A small wooden casket drops out. As it lands on the ground, the catch flips open. Inside is a flask and the bump has loosened the stopper. You watch as a green liquid inside bubbles and boils, turning to a green gas which slowly seeps from the neck of the flask and drifts upwards in the air before you. You are mesmerized by the swirling mists which gradually become recognizable as a face! It is thin, with angular features and is decidedly human. Eventually its eyes open and stare into yours. "I have been awakened from my slumber! Who calls on the vapour of tongues? The heavenly bodies have taken their positions. My gift is granted. For better or for worse my release bestows on you the understanding you desire. May you use your gift wisely." Having said these words, the green gas swirls once more and the face disappears. As if sucked by force, it disappears once more into the flask. Once it is inside, the flask and the casket begin to fade. Moments later they have disappeared! But your unintentional encounter with the Vapour of Tongues has been fortunate. The spirit has bestowed upon you its gift of language. From now on you will understand most languages as spoken or written. You may translate coded speech by turning to reference 283, where you will find the secret of the code.

Reference 283 posted:

You were able to understand the last sentence of the spirit's words as it has passed on its gift. Throughout the book you will find coded speech. Now that you have the gift of understanding, you can translate the code. Otherwise all speech seems incomprehensible to your creature's mind. The secret is this. There are three rules to this code. Firstly, each vowel is replaced by the following letter (thus A becomes B, U becomes V, etc.) Secondly, spaces between words are replaced by the last vowel to have been used. Thus all vowels mean nothing; they only indicate spaces between words. Finally, the actual spaces between words as they appear are entirely random. They mean nothing and serve only to mislead. With this information you may now continue by turning to 137. Add 1 LUCK point for this discovery. But note this reference as you may want to return to it later to translate code.

There are a few issues with the code as given. For one thing, you're given the instructions to encode text, when what you're actually going to want to do is decode text. For that, you need to:
  • Remove all spaces from the text.
  • Replace all vowels with spaces.
  • Replace each of B, F, J, P, and V with A, E, I, O, and U respectively.
    And, most importantly,
  • Try to guess which of those Bs, Fs, Js, Ps, and Vs really were Bs, Fs, Js, Ps, and Vs originally. Because the encoding turns As into Bs, but doesn't change Bs.
At any rate, I won't make you do that. However, if we want to act on information we've received through coded text, we need to have learned this code; we can't carry this knowledge through future runs. (I've also edited the translations of text into earlier posts, in case you're curious.)

Now that we can actually read the hide, let's see what it says:

Reference 337 posted:

"Swinebeard of yore. You have been found guilty of the crime of willful and malicious arson, a most serious offence in the dry regions of Salamonis. As punishment, you are sentenced to undertake a perilous mission of recovery. You must travel northwards and enter the underground domain of Zharradan Marr, there to seek out and recover flasks containing swirling vapours. These are the vapours of Stittle Woad. You must find the three flasks containing these vapours and return them to this court. ON NO ACCOUNT MUST THEY BE OPENED. This is the sentence of the court and the geas has been cast. This is your punishment. You must succeed in your mission or die in the attempt."

Underneath this writing is more, but written in a different style: "Vapour of knowledge / - Flaxenmane of Silverton = / - Winged helmet."

Okay. So the guy we killed right at the beginning had this hide, which tells us that there are three vapours [British sic] of Stittle Woad. I'm guessing that the guy whose body we looted in the room with the Flesh-Feeders was Flaxenmane of Silverton, as he was wearing a winged helmet and had that purple gas on him. Does that make the guy who had this hide Silverbeard? And where's the third vapour of Stittle Woad? Mysterious.

Reference 137 posted:

Bewildered by your experience, you wander off north along a main passageway. You soon reach a junction where you must decide whether to:
  • Continue north. Turn to 144.
  • Turn east. Turn to 204.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 25, 2021

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Most intriguing. Maybe less intriguing to a Creature such as we.

Once again voting for eastwards.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

North I guess. We've been stumbling into the good poo poo so far it seems.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The book keeps asking us to eat people, so I'm beginning to suspect that eventually there'll be a passage that just says "if you've eaten anyone, you loving lose right here".

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Let's Continue north.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

We've been stumbling into the good poo poo so far it seems.

We really have. That doesn't necessarily mean we're on the winning path, though! You thought there'd be a spoiler here, didn't you?

Arcvasti posted:

The book keeps asking us to eat people, so I'm beginning to suspect that eventually there'll be a passage that just says "if you've eaten anyone, you loving lose right here".

Ha! Yes, that's the sort of shenanigans this book would pull, isn't it? No, I'm not spoiling this either.

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Most intriguing. Maybe less intriguing to a Creature such as we.

Once again voting for eastwards.

Reference 204 posted:

The passage runs straight ahead until you reach a solid wooden door. It is locked and looks much too sturdy for you to break down. But in the centre of the door is a huge metal plate with a heavy ball pivoted above it. Will you:
  • Use the ball to hit the plate to attract the attention of whoever is inside. Turn to 435.
  • Return to the junction and take the passage to the north. Turn to 144.

If we wanted to turn to 144, we would have done it before.

Reference 435 posted:

The heavy knocker booms loudly on the metal plate. A grunting noise comes from behind the door and you can hear feet shuffling as some sort of creature responds to your knock. The door slowly creaks open and a long snout appears. Small, pig-like eyes peer out at you from behind the single tusk which stands in the middle of the Rhino-Man's face. The door opens wider and you can see the creature's stout, heavily armed torso and legs. It speaks to you: ""Come on, then. What business have you here? Answer quickly."

Reference 435 posted:

If you can understand the creature, turn immediately to reference sixty two. "Lost your tongue, eh? Then begone. Be off with you before I decide to have a little battle practice." He is closing the door without letting you in. Will you:
  • Perform a hidden action. Turn to 62.
  • Leave, return to the junction and take the northern passage. (You can't do this because you have the gift of knowledge.)
  • Shove the door and step in to attack. (You can't do this because you have the gift of knowledge.)

Oooh, intriguing. (In future, if we hit one of these 'turn immediately to' bits, do you want me to omit the rest of the reference text, or would you rather see what could have happened?)

Reference 62 posted:

"Are you also one of Marr's creatures?" he growls. When you look puzzled, he snorts. "If you don't know, then you must be looking for either the Yellowstone Mines or the Testing Grounds in Knot Oak Wood. Looking at the size of you, I'd reckon the Testing Grounds were more likely. Darramouss will know. He knows everything that happens in these parts. He'll set you right. But don't cross him. Even one of your size cannot hope to tangle with such a foul-tempered lifeless one. And if you make it to the Testing Grounds, oblige me by finding... oh, what was his symbol? They don't have names in the Testing Grounds - except for that foul-breathed weapon-master, Thugruff. Legionnaire twenty-nine, I think: a Rhino-Man like me. If he's still alive, he ought to know this: Gat H'Oulie has escaped with the ring to the Forest of Spiders! But of course, you cannot speak, can you? Here, I'll write it down for you." He hands you the message. If you come across "Legionnaire twenty-nine" later in your adventure, you may pass on the message by adding his number to the reference you are on at the time when you identify him.

You rise to leave the guardroom. The Rhino-Man gives you directions. "Leave through the north door here. When you arrive at the T-junction, turn right and follow the passage." You take his advice. Turn to 298.

Hm. How do we indicate to the Rhino-Man that we understand him? We can't speak, and the text doesn't indicate us performing elaborate charades. At any rate, new information! I'll just jot that down.

Reference 298 posted:

You decide to choose the eastward passage, and you follow it to a sharp bend to the right. Almost immediately after the bend you find yourself at the foot of a staircase and you climb the stairs carefully. Then a corridor leads straight ahead southwards until you reach a T-junction where you may:
  • Turn east. Turn to 373.
  • Turn west. Turn to 401.

Two notes here. One, the text at the beginning of this reference suggests it's possible to get here without getting the Rhino-Man's directions, in which case we would have had to choose blindly. Two, in at least once instance, the directions the book gives are wrong - that is to say, we may want to follow the Rhino-Man's directions and turn east, but 373 may actually be the passage for going west. Or it may not. At any rate, the choice is yours!

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 25, 2021

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

By the way, while the book normally just says 'turn to n' for choices, the few times it refers to what these numbered sections are, it uses the term 'reference'. I've gone back and edited any instances of 'page' accordingly. (The book does have pages - the rules and lore text are numbered - but those numbers stop once the references start.)

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Rhino-Man has helpfully provided some context for whatever this place is now, at least.

Continue the quest to go further east.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Rhino-Man has helpfully provided some context for whatever this place is now, at least.

Continue the quest to go further east.

Well, you know what they say: when there's only one candidate...

Reference 373 posted:

The rocky corridor continues for some time and then turns sharply southwards. Ahead of you, at the end of the passage, is a sturdy wooden door; to your left is another door. Will you:
  • Try the door straight ahead. Turn to 15.
  • Try the door to your left. Turn to 241.

...the Rhino-Man didn't say anything about this.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
The sturdier the door, the more it means the more important stuff is behind it.

Straight on ahead.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Left seems like a side room so, check the door straight ahead

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
Thisssss boooook. Legendary, this book. Does some really neat stuff in a really bass-ackwards way.

Left door, please, yes we want sidequests.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I really dig how they try to tie our burgeoning awareness into how the book works, maybe it would be better if it wasn’t so random at the start?

Let’s keep going straight, we weren’t told to make a turn.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The sturdier the door, the more it means the more important stuff is behind it.

Straight on ahead.

Reference 15 posted:

All is silent as you enter. The room is large, with a high ceiling, and a musty smell permeates the air. There are four doors leading from the room, one in each wall. A long table stands in the middle of the room and on it is a short stick with a metal head lying next to some small spikes. A couple of planks of wood are resting against the table. This is evidently a workroom of some sort. In one corner of the room you find the products of the work carried on here. Two tall and thin wooden boxes, almost as tall as you are, are leaning against the wall. They are standing next to a hole in the wall, just above floor-level, which is wide enough to fit one of the boxes through. You puzzle over this for some time.

What do you want to do:
  • Have a look inside the boxes? Turn to 217.
  • Investigate the hole in the wall? Turn to 319.
  • Ignore what you see? Turn to 436.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

What's in the box?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Investigate that there wall hole.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Boxes have loot.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Maybe if we ignore what we see, we'll... find something we didn't see instead?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
[b] Ignore what you see? Turn to 436.[/]

Theory about the room: Those are coffins and the hole goes to a crematorium.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Investigate Boxes

And I would be interested in seeing what we miss in the case of automatic references.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

habituallyred posted:

Investigate Boxes

And I would be interested in seeing what we miss in the case of automatic references.

Duly noted!

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Theory about the room: Those are coffins and the hole goes to a crematorium.

Survey says!

Reference 217 posted:

You step over to the two boxes and shake one of them. Something soft and heavy bumps about inside. This arouses your curiosity and you search for a means of opening the box. But none is apparent. In your frustration, you tip the box over and it crashes to the ground. Your attention focuses on the wider end as a splitting sound from within the box gets louder. Suddenly a crack appears in the wood! Then another! Finally, the front of the box smashes apart and your eyes widen as they catch sight of the hideous thing within...

A human shape appears - or rather, something resembling a human corpse. But it is not dead, as its thin lips are slowly curling back to reveal sharp teeth and a forked tongue. In an instant, the creature suddenly sits bolt upright and turns its head towards you! Its eyes flick open.

*ding!*

Reference 217 posted:

"Who disturbs the rest of the cursewitches? Foul creature, you dabble with what you do not understand. None may interfere with our peace save for Zharradan Marr the master. You must be taught to respect the sleep of the undead and you must be made to feel the wrath of the cursewitches."

The creature's eyes fix on to your own. They glow white and you find you cannot break from the gaze. When its eyes finally close, you feel strangely light-headed. As if in a trance, you step away from the corner and head towards the door in the east wall. You open it, step through and it closes behind you. Only then do your thoughts return to normal. But you are far from normal. You have been cursed and, until you are able to find someone who can remove the curse, your Initial SKILL has been reduced by 2 points and your Initial STAMINA by 5. If your current SKILL and STAMINA points exceed these limits, you must reduce them as necessary. Now you may continue by turning to 436.

Ouch. (Note that his speech is encoded, so it's possible to get here without the gift of language.)

Reference 436 posted:

You have four doors to choose from. Will you try the door in:
  • The east wall? Turn to 49.
  • The north wall? Turn to 262.
  • The south wall? Turn to 201.
  • The west wall? Turn to 409.

In case it influences your choice, I peeked; the door in the west wall isn't the same door we just came through.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

By the way, I've added illustrations for the Flesh-Feeders, the Vapour of Tongues, and the Rhino-Man to previous posts, courtesy of The Fighting Fantasy Project. (That's also where I got the other illustrations.)