Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

At work. Ugh.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

Chewbecca posted:

I have been working my arse off all week thinking today was gonna be better, but now it looks like someone is gonna call out sick and I'm gonna get turbo owned lol

You know that whole thing of like "oh this week is chaos, but it will be better once we get through [x]", but for your entire life

narrator: it never gets better

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Escape From Noise

Very normal and not at all concerning that I had to wipe mold off of a yeast packet that was being stored in our walk-in.

:barf:

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
thought i was burned out
actually, now i'm burned out
phewwwwwwwwwwww (hold for 5 syllables)

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Adult life is operating at varying degrees of burnout until you die or get fired

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Chewbecca posted:

Adult life is operating at varying degrees of burnout until you die or get fired

the key is finding a part time job, or in my case a party time job. I'm much happier working 24-32 hours per week :dbuddy:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Farecoal

There he go

Areola Grande posted:

the key is finding a part time job, or in my case a party time job. I'm much happier working 24-32 hours per week :dbuddy:

Rent is too drat high

Ass-penny

Farecoal posted:

Rent is too drat high

I was thinking this, then I remembered that AG lives in rural Missouri, not unlike this sites late founder

Ass-penny

AG piss on the tax man's grave please

Areola Grande

rear end-penny posted:

AG piss on the tax man's grave please

:wellpiss:

Areola Grande

Farecoal posted:

Rent is too drat high

the key to cheap rent is the willingness to live in abject squalor. find the shittiest house possible and call it home :unsmith:

Escape From Noise

Areola Grande posted:

Once I can get Permanent Residency in about 4 years I'm definitely considering quitting whatever job I have and getting something part time for like a year and living off savings.

Chewbecca

What is rent like in Japan EFN? Is it reasonable? 3/4 of your salary? Something in between?

Escape From Noise

Chewbecca posted:

What is rent like in Japan EFN? Is it reasonable? 3/4 of your salary? Something in between?

Rent here is very reasonable provided you don't live in like central Tokyo, and even that isn't as pricey as it once was. I live in a pretty central part of Osaka and my rent is about 70k yen and my monthly take home income is under 285k. My apartment is pretty small, but if I moved slightly out of town I could get a larger place for the same price.

Right now on social media you'll see a lot of stuff about really cheap houses in Japan. Those prices are real, but also those houses are usually out in the middle of nowhere. As in at least half an hour to the nearest train station if not an hour or more, they're also pretty old and will not appreciate in value. It's just a given here that your house is going to lose value.

Chewbecca

Gosh that's fascinating! Was it hard to find somewhere to live for you? As in, were you competing against a bunch of people when you applied? It doesnt sound like there is a rental crisis over there anyway

Chewbecca

The term 'earn a living' implies we gotta justify our even being alive through the activity of working

Goons: I think you deserve to be here regardless of your capacity to work

Escape From Noise

Chewbecca posted:

Gosh that's fascinating! Was it hard to find somewhere to live for you? As in, were you competing against a bunch of people when you applied? It doesnt sound like there is a rental crisis over there anyway

Nah. Not too bad. The big cultural difference for me, as an American, was instead of searching listings myself, I went to a real estate agent. They're paid by the landlords mostly, so it wasn't out of pocket. The first guy I used was a nice enough person but got very pushy at one point and was showing me kind of dumpy places. At the same time I was looking at places with another guy and he was very laid back and found the place I was living at before through him.

As far as competitiveness, it wasn't that bad. The only issue is that everyone's moving it around the same time. If you move outside of that time frame, there's not a lot of places open sometimes. But yeah, the rental situation is actually not that bad. I think people have this image of housing being really difficult in Japan because of holdovers from '80s era Tokyo or something.

Escape From Noise

For some reason or another, it seems like a lot of people will get these prices for real estate in central Tokyo and think that it's representative of the entire country. That's like thinking the rent in downtown Manhattan is representative of rent across the US.

Escape From Noise

I think the other part is that people see things like apples being very expensive here. But you have to remember that apples aren't native to Japan. They were brought over as a food crop much later and Japan doesn't have a lot of farmland so it's a limited supply thing. In recent years the price has gone down. Some fruits are actually cheaper than in the US like Mandarin oranges and Asian pears.

Meanwhile, things like the cost of eating out and getting drinks can be really cheap. You can of course spend a whole lot of money if you really want to, but there are plenty of cheap options that are pretty decent IMO. Admittedly, I do think a fair amount of that does come from underpaying workers, but also I think it's a lot easier to open a restaurant and bar here. Liquor licenses are just like something you pay a little extra for, it's not a whole thing like in the US.

Areola Grande

Escape From Noise posted:

Once I can get Permanent Residency in about 4 years I'm definitely considering quitting whatever job I have and getting something part time for like a year and living off savings.

:rznv: it's highly recommended

Escape From Noise

Areola Grande posted:

:rznv: it's highly recommended

I'm definitely thinking about it. We'll see where I'm at then.

Areola Grande

I'm definitely thinking about it. We'll see where I'm at then.

mayhap we'll run into each other down that old Missouri path IRL someday pard :clint:

I already met a goon once so why not :shrug:

:gooncamp:

Escape From Noise

Areola Grande posted:

mayhap we'll run into each other down that old Missouri path IRL someday pard :clint:

I already met a goon once so why not :shrug:

:gooncamp:

I don't think I want to go back to the Ozarks. Lots of really bad memories TBH.

Areola Grande

I don't think I want to go back to the Ozarks. Lots of really bad memories TBH.

understandable. where then

Escape From Noise

Areola Grande posted:

understandable. where then

Ur mom's house!!!

I'd stay in Japan and maybe visit SE Asian or something I think.

Areola Grande

Ur mom's house!!!

that's about ten miles from lowtax's grave. just a happy coincidence I reckon

Areola Grande

four twenty is coming soon. it's gonna be a retail bloodbath :ohdear:

Escape From Noise

Areola Grande posted:

four twenty is coming soon. it's gonna be a retail bloodbath :ohdear:

drat, dude. :rip:

Escape From Noise

The end of next week is the beginning of Golden Week.

Golden Week here is a week where three public holidays line up in a row, if one lands on a weekend there's a compensated day off or two at the beginning of the following week. So basically, if you take two or three vacation days, you can get a week or more off. It's a very popular time to travel and restaurants are slammed.

I'm so glad I'm no longer a server. At least it wasn't end/beginning of the year rush.

Chewbecca

Good god work today is loving horrendous lmao

Escape From Noise

This week I only have one brew day. Gotta prep for that. Also take in and put away the order of frozen fruit puree I was gonna use on Friday, but I had to move to Monday. Cold room is crowded so it's gonna suck.

Chewbecca

I'm crying in the club right now my work from home office

Ass-penny

Chewbecca posted:

Good god work today is loving horrendous lmao

every day

Ominous Jazz

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
editing photos on the clock

Chewbecca

This is true, only the depth that varies tbh

Yesterday it was like....wall to wall panic attack lol

Ass-penny

yeh my job makes me wonder why I am still fuckin alive

Chewbecca

rear end-penny posted:

yeh my job makes me wonder why I am still fuckin alive

I'm sorry, goon

Idk why it's gotta suck right now, but one day it'll suck less

Ass-penny

I wish I could believe that, chewb

Escape From Noise

I'm at work. Mashed in about 20 minutes ago.

Bleh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

It's fuckin super grody that I probably clean the toilets more than anyone else here because I'll use some TP to wipe up the bright yellow caked on piss from the toilets here at work. :barf: