Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Also I still feel like they pulled a bait and switch on me with my position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Thanks for the write-up!
Really hope your old job gets their poo poo together..

Escape From Noise

Wooooooo! I think it'll happen eventually, but it'll probably be a little bit.

xcheopis

Escape From Noise posted:

Wooooooo! I think it'll happen eventually, but it'll probably be a little bit.

We're rootin' for ya!

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

xcheopis

I have too many passwords.

xcheopis

My coworkers are very kind and checked on me today to make sure I was all right after yesterday's unhappiness.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

How is your coworker? I worry. Are you holding up okay or faking it okay at least?

xcheopis

Co-worker is in-patient. :(

I'm ok, thanks! Still a little freaked because that is a shocking thing to witness but I went home and watched Lucky & Toaster videos and played PrettyGoodSolitaire. Slightly difficult puzzle solving helps distract the anxiety.

xcheopis

We have two sites that have the most data for me to look at and they always always send it in such a state that I waste a couple of hours re-formatting spreadsheets. It's so annoying.

Escape From Noise

xcheopis posted:

We have two sites that have the most data for me to look at and they always always send it in such a state that I waste a couple of hours re-formatting spreadsheets. It's so annoying.

That sounds really frustrating.

xcheopis

That sounds really frustrating.

I keep a Data Issues workbook for the "higher-ups" to see what needs to be addressed and I've succumbed to mild swearing and all caps bold red letters
"NO. WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DOING THIS???"
"STOP IT!"
"FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS PURE AND HOLY, WHAT. JUST WHAT."

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm legitimately so tired of this job that I applied to do logistics coordination for a poo poo tier freight company because it sounds more fun.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

sorry hj

though now you have me thinking, is there a tier list for freight companies?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

sorry hj

though now you have me thinking, is there a tier list for freight companies?

There is. Very much so. SAIA is at the very bottom.

Finger Prince

So I'm just setting up my makeshift home office (depending on how long I'm on WFH will determine how much furniture I'm going to buy for this setup). Anyway I got one of those cool new logitech keyboard and mouse combos that lets you use them on multiple devices. So great! I put the dongle in my home PC, figure I'll use channel 2 for my personal laptop using Bluetooth, and channel 3 for my work laptop also using bluetooth. Sounds perfect! Except that my work laptop is lol windows loving 7 and you can either have a Bluetooth keyboard or a Bluetooth mouse attached, but not both at the same time. So now I have to use the laptop keyboard which means a whole lot less desk space. So far not ideal.

Escape From Noise

Boss brought in a guy from the company who supplied our bottler. He had some good information that I already knew, some bad, outdated information regarding cleaning and bottling procedure. So I've been sorta undermined. One step forward, two steps back. gently caress this poo poo.

Escape From Noise

I give up on bringing this loving place up to standards. They want big improvements without allowing for basic changes and getting the owner to allow anything is just a bunch of back and forth, then he agreed only partially and tries to find some way to say I'm wrong.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

How long can you get away with not working, because this guy is gonna give somebody botulism.

Escape From Noise

Fortunately no known pathogen can survive in beer. It's pretty gross though. He's getting the bottler deep cleaned/serviced at least. I just gotta keep going until I can find something else that isn't a total disaster.

Vernii

Pretty sure my boss got fired this morning. That or something happened and he quit on the spot, either way he's gone. No one else in the department has said anything to me.

It sucks because he was the best boss I've had; didn't micromanage me or even really interact much other than when he needed something.

Probably time to work on my resume in case it's part of a larger departmental shift.

Vernii

Lmao he just moved offices without him or anyone else mentioning it. Was really confused to get an email from him 3 hours into the workday.

xcheopis

This is the dumbest finance team I have ever worked with and I'm counting the time I had to explain to an accountant at Stanford what a credit memo is and how you use one.
Just a really toxic and stupid group of people.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Somebody tried to put in a web order eleven times over the weekend.

The payment connector we use between our processor and Magento failed somehow. Eleven times this person's card was charged--not just auth'd, but charged and settled--for over 4k a pop.

They big mad and I'm like "did you think to stop after one?"

I'm big mad because I can't figure out why the connector failed for only one customer and not the 2000+ others we had over the weekend.

Ass-penny

Fortunately no known pathogen can survive in beer. It's pretty gross though. He's getting the bottler deep cleaned/serviced at least. I just gotta keep going until I can find something else that isn't a total disaster.

Good luck looking, I know it sucks. But the stories you're posting about this gig... fuckin :yikeseroo:

Vernii posted:

Lmao he just moved offices without him or anyone else mentioning it. Was really confused to get an email from him 3 hours into the workday.

I'm glad to see this post, a good boss is hard to find, and losing them suddenly would be so weird.

xcheopis posted:

This is the dumbest finance team I have ever worked with and I'm counting the time I had to explain to an accountant at Stanford what a credit memo is and how you use one.
Just a really toxic and stupid group of people.

:glomp: Good luck friend.

Mormon Nailer posted:

Somebody tried to put in a web order eleven times over the weekend.

The payment connector we use between our processor and Magento failed somehow. Eleven times this person's card was charged--not just auth'd, but charged and settled--for over 4k a pop.

They big mad and I'm like "did you think to stop after one?"

I'm big mad because I can't figure out why the connector failed for only one customer and not the 2000+ others we had over the weekend.

That's hosed. Good luck finding and fixing the issue.

Work has been slow lately. Trying to find things to do while we wait for it to pick up, and in spite of this I still haven't had time to get any reading done on the clock (which is a rare but real perk). At least some of my coworkers have added interest to the shift by not understanding real basic poo poo about the job they've been doing for a fuckin year already. I really needed the laugh I got out of that.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Escape From Noise

As a change of pace from my usual doom and gloom the restaurant is closed this week due to the state of emergency and one of the staff is helping out in the brewery. She is exceptionally capable and picks up things really well despite me being dogshit at teaching. Just really quick on the uptake and good at asking questions about things she doesn't understand at first.

GoutPatrol

*Stupid Babby*

sitting in an empty classroom, hiding from my coworkers

at least I have my beach chair in here

Escape From Noise

GoutPatrol posted:

sitting in an empty classroom, hiding from my coworkers

at least I have my beach chair in here

Just heard my dad say "LIFE'S A BEACH!" in my head followed by his very distinctive laugh

Escape From Noise

The brewing industry is being hit with a long overdue reckoning in regards to sexism, racism, bigotry, etc. Some pretty harrowing stuff is coming to light involving some industry heavyweights. Unfortunately, it is not very surprising.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Yup it's happening all over, and it's past time.

Let it hit them.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Oh poo poo, sometime finally called out one of the guys from PDX.

I have personal stories. Several. If it weren't for the CRiot crew I dunno if I would've survived the last time I attempted Portland.

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

Yup it's happening all over, and it's past time.

Let it hit them.

Oh, for sure. It is well overdue

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
Chilling in the private handicap bathroom that has been repurposed into a pumping room, messing around on my phone with suction cups attached to my boobs.
Honestly not a bad way to break up the work day.

Escape From Noise

DaChurl posted:

Chilling in the private handicap bathroom that has been repurposed into a pumping room, messing around on my phone with suction cups attached to my boobs.

This is an entirely new dimension to the crapping on company time philoy.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

DaChurl posted:

Been there, my good orb. Been there.

I spent a lot of hours in the break room with the door locked because that's the only place that they would allow me to pump. Real good, lmao.

DaChurl

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
Yeah, luckily there are other handicap bathrooms so I get to claim this one specifically for pumping. Converting the space literally consisted of me reminding my boss about it on my first morning back, her saying "oh poo poo, I forgot to respond to your text about that, didn't I?", placing a reasonably comfortable chair in here and taping a piece of paper that says "PLEASE DO NOT USE!!!" to the door.
All things considered, it's not a bad setup. Washing the parts afterwards is super easy since the sink is right there. Definitely lost track of time reading in here several times already and nobody's noticed.

cruft

Oh cool a byob thread for the working stiff.

Today one of my employees confessed that as soon as it became clear we were going to be forced to go into the office in July, they began looking for other jobs. I warned everybody this was going to happen.

Like they are retooling storage closets as offices when people are quitting because they want to keep working from home. The solution seems pretty obvious to me, but I guess there's more at play here than "obvious solutions that make a ton of sense", just like always.

cruft

DaChurl posted:

Yeah, luckily there are other handicap bathrooms so I get to claim this one specifically for pumping. Converting the space literally consisted of me reminding my boss about it on my first morning back, her saying "oh poo poo, I forgot to respond to your text about that, didn't I?", placing a reasonably comfortable chair in here and taping a piece of paper that says "PLEASE DO NOT USE!!!" to the door.
All things considered, it's not a bad setup. Washing the parts afterwards is super easy since the sink is right there. Definitely lost track of time reading in here several times already and nobody's noticed.

That sounds relaxing as hell, now I want to get pregnant.

No I don't want to hear about the other things involved in having a baby why do you ask.

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

Oh cool a byob thread for the working stiff.

Today one of my employees confessed that as soon as it became clear we were going to be forced to go into the office in July, they began looking for other jobs. I warned everybody this was going to happen.

Like they are retooling storage closets as offices when people are quitting because they want to keep working from home. The solution seems pretty obvious to me, but I guess there's more at play here than "obvious solutions that make a ton of sense", just like always.

One of the big banks has been building a palatial headquarters building downtown here. Initially I thought, man all these companies with downtown offices are going to save a mint on rent with everyone now working from home. It'll really change things. People won't want to deal with commuting anymore. Then I saw that glass ziggurat inexorably rising day after day and thought, the fuckers who own that building, who built that palace, they are not going to want to see that investment sit empty not earning them rent on corporate offices. They are on or at very least influence the boards of directors of all these big corporate tenants. You think they aren't going to make it abundantly clear to the executives of those companies "you get your asses back in this building"? You think the directive that's going to roll down to the cubicle peons won't be "hope you enjoyed your WFH vacation, starting next Monday you're expected back here, or no job"? Everyone in the suburbs with their real estate bubble house they can barely afford the mortgage on because they haven't got a tenant for their downtown condo they bought so they have to pay that mortgage too are going to step to it. All the downtown condo dwellers who are going to have to get on a street car or subway or walk or cycle a few blocks are going to jump at the chance of getting back into a cubicle bigger than the den both them and their partner have been working out of for 2 years.
The natural order of office work will reestablish itself. Actual WFH jobs will be thin on the ground and most people won't hold one even if they want to.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm angling a pitch right now for a wfh job at a company that is now remote only and they literally laughed when I asked them if they were planning on going back to the office ever.

"We don't give a gently caress, our board is smarter than that."

Let's hope they stay smart. I won't hold my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

The worst of the data sets has finally been uploaded. It only took me half of one work day and most of today, god drat. It's not just their data, it's also that our database is very very creaky and gives hilarious error messages in the middle of a 45-minute upload process, such as "there are records in the import table without client ids" and then aborts the import and demands that I never try to import anything ever again, so I have close the demented thing and re-open it and start all over.

And the closest we have to "client ids" is that a lot of times the client's SSN is included but not always, so. What the gently caress.

Yes, we are using a Microsoft product how is that important?