Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

Teddy Thunders posted:

I actually don't have a single desire in my body to sell, I'm just incredibly good at it. I have no ambition and the only reason I have a job is to satisfy my now estranged wife, because I run two separate businesses full time with a huge net profit (actual profit after expenses and taking out salary, not revenue) and actually enjoy my work when left to my own devices. Having a "real job," as she calls it, nets me zero benefits, I make an hourly poo poo wage, I'm berated constantly and it's cutting into my time that I could be spending volunteering or growing my own poo poo.

I never thought I could be in sales because I'd have to really believe in the product I'm selling to be convincing, but the older I get the more I think I could do it because I'm cynical and don't really give a poo poo. I still couldn't do it though. I thought most big corporate sales people were paid mostly or at least partly by commission? You're making multimillion dollar sales and you're paid an hourly wage? That's some bullshit.
The idea that working for some dillhole that pays you an hourly wage to say yes sir right away sir is the only real and honest way to make a buck is some hosed up bullshit and I wish I realized this 23 years ago.
In other news, I'll be returning to work soon, which is good, it'll be work from home for now, which is better, and I only need to do it for two more years, which is best. But I also need to do it for two more years which kind of sucks all that good better best stuff right out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Escape From Noise posted:

That's what I fear, still saying "This is just temporary." a year or two later.

Sometimes it's all you can do to get you through it.

Finger Prince

Teddy Thunders posted:

I'm just bringing in money and making side deals and I might let one of the suppliers poach me. Less work and hella more money? Sure.

this is the way.

Finger Prince

So I'm just setting up my makeshift home office (depending on how long I'm on WFH will determine how much furniture I'm going to buy for this setup). Anyway I got one of those cool new logitech keyboard and mouse combos that lets you use them on multiple devices. So great! I put the dongle in my home PC, figure I'll use channel 2 for my personal laptop using Bluetooth, and channel 3 for my work laptop also using bluetooth. Sounds perfect! Except that my work laptop is lol windows loving 7 and you can either have a Bluetooth keyboard or a Bluetooth mouse attached, but not both at the same time. So now I have to use the laptop keyboard which means a whole lot less desk space. So far not ideal.

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

Oh cool a byob thread for the working stiff.

Today one of my employees confessed that as soon as it became clear we were going to be forced to go into the office in July, they began looking for other jobs. I warned everybody this was going to happen.

Like they are retooling storage closets as offices when people are quitting because they want to keep working from home. The solution seems pretty obvious to me, but I guess there's more at play here than "obvious solutions that make a ton of sense", just like always.

One of the big banks has been building a palatial headquarters building downtown here. Initially I thought, man all these companies with downtown offices are going to save a mint on rent with everyone now working from home. It'll really change things. People won't want to deal with commuting anymore. Then I saw that glass ziggurat inexorably rising day after day and thought, the fuckers who own that building, who built that palace, they are not going to want to see that investment sit empty not earning them rent on corporate offices. They are on or at very least influence the boards of directors of all these big corporate tenants. You think they aren't going to make it abundantly clear to the executives of those companies "you get your asses back in this building"? You think the directive that's going to roll down to the cubicle peons won't be "hope you enjoyed your WFH vacation, starting next Monday you're expected back here, or no job"? Everyone in the suburbs with their real estate bubble house they can barely afford the mortgage on because they haven't got a tenant for their downtown condo they bought so they have to pay that mortgage too are going to step to it. All the downtown condo dwellers who are going to have to get on a street car or subway or walk or cycle a few blocks are going to jump at the chance of getting back into a cubicle bigger than the den both them and their partner have been working out of for 2 years.
The natural order of office work will reestablish itself. Actual WFH jobs will be thin on the ground and most people won't hold one even if they want to.

Finger Prince

It's funny to think how "when I say jump, you say how high" is used as a quote to show dominance and obedience. That seems like a pretty sweet power dynamic compared to "when I say jump, you jump, you don't ask questions, and it had better be high enough."

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

Lately in my job, it's more like "when I say rewrite this, you say how many times".

Because I'm now on the fourth iteration of the mission/vision, which has had 0 substantial changes, and we are just catering to the whims of management increasingly higher on the chain. For the last update, I just reverted to two revisions ago.

Our manager asked us today to review a flowchart of our daily routine to make sure it was accurate and a bunch of my colleagues had various feedback and I'm just sitting there reading it going lol I don't even know what my job is anymore.

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

I just don't understand this style of operating a small business. I want to hire people who are well-qualified to do a specific job, but then I'm going to ignore their advice and even enforce contradictory procedure... I mean, why did I hire this person? I could have hired a high school student for a lot less, and then I wouldn't have to fight them.

I'm sure this thought has crossed your mind too.

Hell, large businesses operate this way too.

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

[another soap joke goes here]

There's no sense getting in a lather about it.

Finger Prince

One neat trick companies use to make sure people working from home need to go back to the office:
Slow, lovely, flaky VPN that keeps disconnecting

Finger Prince

Looks like it wasnt the VPN, it was my internet. Down for emergency maintenance now to repair a fiber optic cable. Extended lunch break for me I guess!

Finger Prince

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don’t know how freight/trucking companies keep existing because they are the least customer-oriented companies ever.

The customer is the freight. Everything else is just middlemen.

Finger Prince

Achtane posted:

It should be mandatory that everyone put in a year of retail work.

What like some countries have mandatory military service?

Finger Prince

Achtane posted:

Yeah, totally. Everyone should experience the fun of retail just once.

I think I'd rather have the military service.

Finger Prince

One of the side benefits of working from home that isn't often mentioned is being able to have an omelette for lunch.

Finger Prince

+ switching to a compressed work week
- 6am start time
- double the workload

That last one is a doozy, but I know how my director operates. Prove things are unmanageable at current staffing, ie force failure, in order to justify increased staffing. It sucks being in the set up to fail group though.
On the plus side though, compressed work week opens up the opportunity of being able to move somewhere cheaper and more pleasant and just renting a room or cheap studio near work and commuting in for my shift.

Finger Prince

Forgot about another fun aspect of office work, the loving savages that piss on the seat. Bonus points for not flushing.
And drink some loving water dude, that's loving gross.

Finger Prince

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnx3wVMlZTU
:shepicide:

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

Speaking of work, I'm tired of it. It the past, I would start looking at switching jobs now, but I like my current salary and benefits, and I don't think I'd enjoy working somewhere else more. It's working itself i dislike right now.

Currently researching becoming independently wealthy, which seems like it would solve a lot.

:same:

Finger Prince

Where does calling you up to tell you how he's not like the other managers you might have had in the past and reminding you of all the favours he's done for you over the years, like hiring you, and paying you, fall?
Oh yeah, you definitely aren't like any of the other managers I've had in the past, that's for sure!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 15, 2021

Finger Prince

I never felt any guilt or remorse for taking vacation, days off, sick days, leaving my work phone at home when I go away, not checking it or emails on my days off or after shift or on vacation, because gently caress 'em that's why. (most of my career has been in a union so maybe that has something to do with it.)
Sometimes I do, if there's something going on I want to know about. That's up to me though.

God it's fricking freezing in here. I'm going to buy a radiator for my cubicle because this is is ridiculous.

Finger Prince

My partner just found out that her org has been screwing everyone out of overtime they are entitled to, and nobody knew, because nobody ever really read and understood the collective agreement. So even if you're in a union, it's still up to you to understand the t's&c's and be vigilant for fuckery.
Now she's in the tough spot of filing a grievance which will probably see everyone on the unit getting craploads of retro pay, but probably end up getting the scheduler if not fired, at least in big poo poo. Because of course the scheduler was never taught how to do the job right, but it's not like the manager is going to accept responsibility. At least the scheduler is in a (different) union, so hopefully there's some protection there for her.

Finger Prince

Finger Prince

I notice my coffee consumption has increased now I'm on 12hr shifts. Need to watch that. 2 cups is ok right?
Also a contributing factor to sleepy feeling might be the little space heater I just bought for my cubicle that's keeping me toasty and warm like sitting by a crackling fire in a cozy sweater except its a whirring fan and now I don't need to wear my cozy sweater which leaves lint on all my clothes.

Finger Prince

This is what happens when the means of production are controlled by the bourgeoisie.

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

Well I think the pain's about to be real for these folks when 25% of my team leaves in 2 months. And if they expect me to pick up the slack, I may also decide the Large Online Catalog Company would actually be a pretty good place to work.

See, here's the problem with that. The however% of bitter, jaded lifers that are left doing 100% of the work are going to bitch and complain, and morale will go for poo poo, more people will leave, etc.
But the bossman, he's gonna look great. Because the executive doesn't give a poo poo about morale, or work life balance, or any of that poo poo. Fewer workers doing more work is more beans in column B. It doesn't matter if they're happy. They've got a mortgage they can barely afford and kids in school, they aren't going anywhere. If one of them hangs themself, it's a tragedy, but hey that's one less salary to pay and more work for the survivors. Productivity++!

Finger Prince

Normally I like working on the weekend because it's quiet and you can get a lot done, but so far the only work I've done is to distill some really complicated, complex subject matter into simple, easy to digest morsels that my manager can understand, just in case it comes up. That's some time consuming poo poo, yo.

Finger Prince

With all the churn, it's definitely become a more significant part of my job.

Finger Prince

Escape From Noise posted:

My coworker and I both showed up today to brew basically a homebrew size batch of beer. All we knew is that it had bread in it. Both of us thought the other new what the recipe was going to be in more detail other than a text in a group chat from our boss that just said it was the wheat beer with bread in it. Turns out neither of us knew what was going on so we went to Lawson for a loaf of white bread and now we're just going to brew the wheat beer with bread in it. That's some great management! Lol! Just so glad I'm getting out of here.

That reminded me of a summer job I had as a teenager, lasted all of one day. It was as a general dogsbody at a driving range. Owner/manager/whatever put up a shed and told me to go to the hardware store and pick up some stain and brushes and stain it. I ask him what kind of stain? He says cedar stain. So off I go, buy a few tins of cedar stain, come back, paint the shed. He comes back in the afternoon, sees the shed and is livid! What the hell is this!? You painted it orange??
You said cedar stain, I bought cedar stain. It's orange. I don't know what to say. He fired me on the spot, but at least has the decency to pay me some cash for the day's work.

Finger Prince

Achtane posted:

IT'S FRIDAY EVERYONE

Monday here.

Finger Prince

Achtane posted:

I'm so sorry.

It's all good, I just had 5 days off. Fireworks kept me up last night though, had to get earplugs. Good thing I have coffee.

Finger Prince

Achtane posted:

I don't even really like fireworks anymore because I just worry about animals and people with PTSD. Earplugs are a must, always. And little CBD gummies for the doggies.

Hey check this out

Oof
I saw another one that listed "bay rum poisoning" as the cause of death. Apparently Bay Rum was some kind of old timey cologne/antiseptic/deodorant that was pretty much straight ethanol , and this dude must have tried to get hosed up on it during Prohibition or something.

I love fireworks, but the ones that just make bangs and flashes are pointless and annoying, and unfortunately that describes a lot of the consumer grade stuff that people let off at 11-12pm when you have to get up at 5am. Why can't people just fire Roman candles at eachother like sensible, responsible pyromaniacs?

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

Supposed to be, but lol I haven't had to do it yet because there's been a pandemic since I took over a lot of the company running stuff. I'm supposed to go all over the place, but, well.

I got an email from him asking me if I would rather go to Bali or Brunei instead and I just sent back the COVID statistics and he says "oh, right, I forgot."

Yeah okay buddy this is why I took over most of the things.

I'll go to Bali for you. I've had both my shots. I can't sell for poo poo and would do nothing more than drink and swim in the ocean and eat fresh seafood, but I know how to book a hotel and file expenses.

Finger Prince

I feel like those should be good resume skills.
💥Proven ability to book own accommodations using a variety of portals.
💥Capable of claiming expenses for meals, transportation, accommodation and sundries.
💥Able to come out ahead on both of the above, but not so much that it's taking the piss.

Finger Prince

I'm the only one in the office today so I can play my tunes out loud and shake my butt all I like.

Finger Prince

Twooo moooorrrrree houuuurrrrsssssss llllleeeeeeefffftttttttttttttt aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Finger Prince

gently caress office clothes.

Finger Prince

I was supposed to go to bed early last night and it ended up being late and now I can barely stay awake, and the white noise and heat from my little space heater isn't helping.

Finger Prince

Having a little space heater blasting on you all morning is pretty cozy, but kinda desiccating. I think I'll make another coffee, that's sure to help. I need to buy a thermometer for my desk because I swear the AC gets down to like 12 degrees in here in the mornings. It's July and I'm wearing a sweater and running a space heater most of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Mormon Nailer posted:

I have 900+ unread emails and I have never wanted so badly to delete them from the server, put my computer in the trash and drive over a cliff.

Instead I will be answering these emails with "haha that's crazy anyway nobody has soap good luck"

:stonklol:

It's pretty much all just canned reports that are probably important to someone but mostly just take up server space.