Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis

Finger Prince posted:

I never thought I could be in sales because I'd have to really believe in the product I'm selling to be convincing, but the older I get the more I think I could do it because I'm cynical and don't really give a poo poo. I still couldn't do it though.

I am still not able to sell convincingly unless I believe in what I'm selling HOWEVER this means that friends trust my recommendations, so think of it that way!

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

Escape From Noise posted:

Last two years have been kind of hell tbh

Do you think your old job will be available again soon?

xcheopis

Possibly? It really depends on the Osaka tax office in Kita-ku. The people in the company I talked to are very sure that they're getting their brewing license in July, the guy I know who's helping them with the paperwork for the license thinks it'll take longer than that. With how strict the tax office has been, the fourth COVID wave closing a lot of things down, and the company's inexperience with the whole process, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes until next year. They're apparently still going ahead with the Olympics despite the current increase in cases in most of the major cities, and I'd be surprised if we get a general vaccine rollout here before the end of the year, and with the tax office and other major non customer service places basically closing down mid December to mid January, I think this kind of cements the situation. We'll see though.

Oof. That's a long wait.

xcheopis

One of our managers retired in March. I did some minor tasks for her, including making sure the invoices she processed were logged and copies saved to the right folder. Logging means having all of the PO information already set up, which kind of stopped happening around August. In fairness, it was a very, very busy and stressful time!
While we waited for a new manager to be hired, her part of the invoice process was taken over by another admin, who made it clear she didn't like doing it and barely put in any effort. Repeated reminders to please enter the info so that I can log the drat things got sullen replies.
Finally, the new manager was hired and it was decided that, effective immediately, I would take over that entire process. Fair enough! I have an accounting background and I've worked with the idiot software we use, so, yes, it's yet more work but at least it will get done.
It took me all day to process the backlog because the necessary information wasn't entered and/or she was putting the wrong information on the invoice. :cripes: It's so frustrating.

At least it's done and I don't have to interact with her much any more.

xcheopis

Also I'm supposed to give three months notice

Is that standard (in Japan) for your industry?

xcheopis

It's weird being in this office by myself again. Bit nice, because I can keep my mask off and turn up the volume on music.

xcheopis

magic cactus posted:

Oh man, usually I like my job, but today I had to proofread the most bullshit of all academic bullshit papers I've ever read thus far. The subject was basically every person's critique of academia rolled into one. Just thinking about the amount of money my boss probably made on this bullshit "study" makes me mad.

:doom:

oh well, almost quittin' time.

There are so many things I like about my job but some of the bureaucratic stuff is ridiculously stupid.

xcheopis

Teddy Thunders posted:

I have cleared approximately seven years in revenue, five in net profit, by myself in eight weeks.

My boss today: "I think you might be okay at selling but you should use <outdated verbiage>."

Me: but that doesn't apply anymore, because <reasons>.

My boss: "since when? It's always been like this, right?"

Me: since 2017. That's why you were hemorrhaging customers.

I so hate this type of boss. No jury of your peers would convict you.

xcheopis

I shouldn't have to come to work if the temp is going to be over 74*.

xcheopis

Mormon Nailer posted:

They're hiring another sales rep at twice what I make and letting them work from home. New guy is 21 and in college still.

I'm done. I'm just, I'm about to lose it completely. I'm literally working through a pandemic selling my rear end off which is not even why I was hired, and I get paid poo poo an hour, and I work full time. With no benefits.

Sounds like discrimination. Seriously. Can you get a free consult with an employment lawyer?

xcheopis

Thanks for the write-up!
Really hope your old job gets their poo poo together..

xcheopis

Wooooooo! I think it'll happen eventually, but it'll probably be a little bit.

We're rootin' for ya!

xcheopis

I have too many passwords.

xcheopis

My coworkers are very kind and checked on me today to make sure I was all right after yesterday's unhappiness.

xcheopis

Co-worker is in-patient. :(

I'm ok, thanks! Still a little freaked because that is a shocking thing to witness but I went home and watched Lucky & Toaster videos and played PrettyGoodSolitaire. Slightly difficult puzzle solving helps distract the anxiety.

xcheopis

We have two sites that have the most data for me to look at and they always always send it in such a state that I waste a couple of hours re-formatting spreadsheets. It's so annoying.

xcheopis

That sounds really frustrating.

I keep a Data Issues workbook for the "higher-ups" to see what needs to be addressed and I've succumbed to mild swearing and all caps bold red letters
"NO. WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DOING THIS???"
"STOP IT!"
"FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS PURE AND HOLY, WHAT. JUST WHAT."

xcheopis

This is the dumbest finance team I have ever worked with and I'm counting the time I had to explain to an accountant at Stanford what a credit memo is and how you use one.
Just a really toxic and stupid group of people.

xcheopis

The worst of the data sets has finally been uploaded. It only took me half of one work day and most of today, god drat. It's not just their data, it's also that our database is very very creaky and gives hilarious error messages in the middle of a 45-minute upload process, such as "there are records in the import table without client ids" and then aborts the import and demands that I never try to import anything ever again, so I have close the demented thing and re-open it and start all over.

And the closest we have to "client ids" is that a lot of times the client's SSN is included but not always, so. What the gently caress.

Yes, we are using a Microsoft product how is that important?

xcheopis

cruft posted:

Access strikes again!

How ever did you know?

xcheopis

Mormon Nailer posted:

Freight companies loving suck to work for as much as the service sucks. Maybe if they were nicer to their employees, their service would improve.

I've worked at two different rail companies (mostly logistics) and it was not fun, except that one job was near the train tracks and I like trains, so that part was good. The other was smack in the middle of a lot of shopping which was... sort of bad?
The people, though. Sucked.

xcheopis

About five months before I started at the first place, one of the women in customer service (phone) had an actual nervous breakdown which I'm told was horrifying to see.

xcheopis

Oh, it's just great being a young female in retail-type situations, yes indeed! Especially back in the Long Ago when we were just expected to tolerate (with a smile!) the sexual harassment and generally demeaning attitudes from customers and coworkers!

This short rant brought to you by all the women in the 1980s who started filing law suits.

xcheopis

Mormon Nailer posted:

"oh, he's harmless."

Is he?

God that poo poo is infuriating. "Just be professional!"

xcheopis

Not that this is a thing of the past, just that now we (mostly) have ways to fight back.

https://www.askamanager.org/2015/12/update-coworker-keeps-calling-me-baby-mama.html

xcheopis

The person who is only in the office for two days a week - and not full days, either - does not get to dictate how things are done right now. We do things this way because we have had multiple conversations around being short-staffed and also people moving offices and also all the Covid work being done and you were not part of any of those conversations because you work from home, so just sit the gently caress down and shut the gently caress up god drat.

xcheopis

Vacation!

xcheopis

I have colleagues who lost family and friends in the last year and just recently one woman had to be the one making the decision to put her family's beloved dog to sleep and the very next week one of her sisters died of Covid.
As someone who is not a hugging person, there were hugs anyway because sometimes you need to stop Being The Strong One and have a good cry, you know? There's a lot going on. It's ok to let go a bit. Take care of yourself, too.
Sometimes hearing about family expectations of their daughters gets me super riled up but I'm mostly just sad right now.
:sigh:

xcheopis

Why is your boss being such a weirdo?

xcheopis

What a jackass

xcheopis

I hope so!

xcheopis

That is so annoying!

xcheopis

Also thanks for listening and being supportive

:sympathy:

xcheopis

I'm sorry this new job has turned out so poorly. How long would it take to move back and is that going to set you back financially?

xcheopis

I'm alright financially. That was part of the reason that I decided to take it in the first place. It wasn't a very big move. I'll probably give three months notice so I have time to get an apartment I'm happy with lined up. All in all it could be a lot worse. I'm pretty sure my last job will take me back even if they don't have their brewing license yet. So overall I just have to deal with it for 3 more months, and it's not like there's much he can do about it.

And you found a great Korean restaurant to which you can take friends on outings!

xcheopis

I met a lot of cool people here, actually. If it wasn't for this job sucking I could see myself staying for at least a year. Also most people in the city who know my boss don't like him.

I'll definitely be back to visit.

:shobon:

xcheopis

cruft posted:

Speaking of work, I'm tired of it. It the past, I would start looking at switching jobs now, but I like my current salary and benefits, and I don't think I'd enjoy working somewhere else more. It's working itself i dislike right now.

Currently researching becoming independently wealthy, which seems like it would solve a lot.

I've frequently been tired of work but the days that are hard are the ones where I wake up thinking, "I've had one job or another since I was 13 and I just can't do this anymore" instead of the more normal "I hate working and just want to pet cats and play solitaire all day".
(13 is when I first had a job requiring a social security number)

okiedoke posted:

I've applied for a new position in my company that's basically doing the same thing I do now, but pays quite a bit more and will remain 100% virtual. I suck at interviews, but really hoping I can get it as it would allow me to move somewhere I don't hate.

Once again I pop in with advice to read AskAManager for very good tips on interviewing.

xcheopis

Thank you! I wrote my resignation letter tonight. Having some people look at it, then I'm turning it in tomorrow. gently caress this poo poo

Yay!

xcheopis

It's annoying that moving our invoice process to nearly entirely online has significantly increased my workload and now it takes longer to get everything done.

Not so much complaining about work - the people here are very supportive and most of them have training in dealing with just this sort of thing which is super helpful right now - but more complaining about having to fill out paperwork, which always sucks. Boo! Down with form-filling!
I have to fill out incident reports about the attack on Friday and also I then have to have meetings with people and everyone is being/has been kind and supportive but I'm still in a bit of distress over it all and really want to go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

I understand. Paperwork isn't usually a ton of fun.

My hated enemy! :argh: