Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Our patience has been rewarded.

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is an HD compilation of the Dai Gyakuten Saiban duology, a spinoff of the Ace Attorney series originally released for 3DS in 2015 and 2017, making their way out of Japan for the first time. Initially leaked via last year's ransomware attack on Capcom, the collection and its localization have finally been formally announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJk4hMgtbPA

Taking place at the dawn of the 20th century in the Meiji Restoration, The Great Ace Attorney finds series creator Shu Takumi in the director's chair and follows Ryunosuke Naruhodo, an ancestor of Phoenix Wright, as he studies law in Japan and later Great Britain. Along the way, he is joined by Susato Mikotoba, a judicial assistant, and the great British detective Sherlock Holmes Herlock Sholmes and his assistant, Iris Watson Wilson.

New to The Great Ace Attorney is the presence of jury trials. This IS Britain, after all. Each case is overseen by a jury of your peers and the "Summation Examination" mechanic tasks Ryunosuke with persuading the jury by pointing out conflicts in their statements and refuting their claims with evidence, a gameplay evolution of the multi-witness testimonies Takumi incorporated into Layton vs Phoenix Wright.

Additionally new to the compilation is a toggleable Story Mode, that allows you to kick back and enjoy the story as the game plays itself. The collection also includes a wealth of bonus features, such as 8 standalone Escapade stories, several promotional videos from the games' initial marketing, a gallery of art, video, and music with comments from the developers, and three additional costumes for the main characters. The release also includes full dual-audio voice acting in English and Japanese.

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is being released on Nintendo Switch, PS4, and Steam on July 27. In North America, a physical release will be available on the Switch version. Pre-orders and early purchases will also be able to redeem DLC for additional music and art for the gallery. The Ace Attorney Turnabout Collection, a bundle of both Chronicles and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy, will also be made available.

I know these games have been out for a while, but many people will be playing for the first time, so no spoilers please

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm ready to solve crimes with my buddy Herlock Sholmes :clint:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Great, I've heard nothing but great things about these two games from you guys and I can't wait to dive in! :)

How will spoilers be discussed in this thread?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vichan posted:

Great, I've heard nothing but great things about these two games from you guys and I can't wait to dive in! :)

How will spoilers be discussed in this thread?

Not at all until the games are released, and then in tags by case.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I wonder if they will insert something about Naruhodo going to America by the end.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Regy Rusty posted:

Not at all until the games are released, and then in tags by case.

Sweet, thanks.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Now this is in the bag I want to know what (if anything) Shu is working on next. Where's my Ghost Trick 2 you coward? :argh:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

old thread

Lamont posted:

While we're at it, what's the best way to play the main series these days? I see 1-3 have a collection on PC and PS4 - any idea if one platform is better than the other?

play the trilogy on a ds or emulator. avoid the HD 'remasters' that are on modern systems/pc the HD sprites look really bad

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

It's wild that they didn't announce this thing during the recent Great Ace Attorney online concert (or even before it, to help sell the concert). Seems like an obvious thing to do. Instead they just dropped it a week later.

But who cares, I'm really happy this is getting released officially. I played the 1st game with the fan patch and it's definitely one of my favorites in the entire series.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The first game with the fan patch was wonderful, I regret playing it only insofar as the subsequent wait was agonizing. Blessed are the patient I suppose

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
At work but pretend I put an AZ meme here in celebration.

Waffleman_ posted:

and his assistant, Iris Watson.

Iris Wilson, she also got changed.

Level Seven fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 22, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So glad its coming physical to the console ill be playing on

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Apropos of nothing, but the prosecutor from 6 was a hypocritical piece of poo poo who only rebels when its popular.

6-4 is also one of the biggest dud cases in the series due to how nonsensical it is to any non-japanese.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Dongicus posted:

play the trilogy on a ds or emulator. avoid the HD 'remasters' that are on modern systems/pc the HD sprites look really bad

Counterpoint: While I agree that the sprites look a bit better (a lot better in some cases like the wide courtroom shot), I think the Trilogy looks fine overall and has a few advantages by itself: saving/loading is way faster, it tells you when you've already examined a thing, and has a handful of localization fixes. Nothing that makes or breaks either version IMO, pick whichever you want.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 21, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, out of curiosity has there been any word as the whether the Ace Attorney anime could possibly be getting a third season?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Counterpoint: While I agree that the sprites look a bit better (a lot better in some cases like the wide courtroom shot), I think the Trilogy looks fine overall and has a few advantages by itself: saving/loading is way faster, it tells you when you've already examined a thing, and has a handful of localization fixes. Nothing that makes or breaks either version IMO, pick whichever you want.

100% agreed. I'd recommend the HD trilogy for any newcomer. Only those with nostalgia for the DS versions may be bothered by the somewhat different look; I was for a few minutes too.

And for the asker, the PS4 and PC versions should be identical, although the adventure sections and a few other bits might be more comfortable with mouse controls.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

It's been so long since jumping back into this world, I'm :stoked:

Maybe one day I'll find the time to revisit the original trilogy that I haven't touched in like 15 years but have bought every single chance I could.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I feel bad for the DGS tl guy who was like trying to get people to VA some of the DGS1 segments.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apropos of nothing, but the prosecutor from 6 was a hypocritical piece of poo poo who only rebels when its popular.

6-4 is also one of the biggest dud cases in the series due to how nonsensical it is to any non-japanese.

Not that I disagree, but in his faint defense learned helplessness is one hell of a drug and (Spirit of Justice endcase endgame spoilers) the queen was straight up holding his little sister hostage since he was like 11 and she was 1.

Who's ready for the adventures of Grandpasuke Wright against prosecutor von Dracula, special guests SHerlock SHolmes and Iris Watson Wilson? :stoked:
(How are they mangling inspector Lestrade by the way?)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Omobono posted:

Not that I disagree, but in his faint defense learned helplessness is one hell of a drug and (Spirit of Justice endcase endgame spoilers) the queen was straight up holding his little sister hostage since he was like 11 and she was 1.

Why he gonna be a such an rear end overseas though? The worst prosecutor.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Dongicus posted:

i don't really agree with this. while i do prefer the sprites because that's what i'm used to, most the character sprites look fine, and a lot of scenes are actually improved artwork.

most people probably don't want to suffer through a ds emulator to play the funny lawyer game.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tired Moritz posted:

Why he gonna be a such an rear end overseas though? The worst prosecutor.

Oh, I can't :agreed: more, the writing didn't really give him enough depth and hints to his struggles before the reveal on why he was behaving as an rear end.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It was fun learning about Rakugo though, as a person interested in Japanese culture.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Dongicus posted:

old thread

this is nuts, the trilogy looks fine and is a million times more convenient than an emulator

you know they improved the art like tenfold from the original super sucky upscaled ones from the ios port, right??

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sharkitten posted:

It was fun learning about Rakugo though, as a person interested in Japanese culture.
Yeah, the rakugo case was weird but interesting, and "weird but interesting" is pretty much what I expect from AA at this point, so it's all good.

Besides, it still doesn't beat Nine-Tails Vale in terms of sheer "dev team messing with the localization team" energy.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Sharkitten posted:

Yeah, I liked that about it too. Like, if you're 9+ games into a series, I'd rather it get niche like that instead of super-duper anime like all of AA5. Plus I think it worked better than a lot of other middle-of-the-game cases across the series in terms of being a tension breaker.

Also, Uendo's theme is really catchy, the way it layers on itself is fun.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

you really should play the version of the visual novel that has better visuals. its up to you though, look up some comparisons and see if it matters to you.

its such a lazy HD remaster where they didn't even bother to re-do the shading on the characters

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Amppelix posted:

this is nuts, the trilogy looks fine and is a million times more convenient than an emulator

you know they improved the art like tenfold from the original super sucky upscaled ones from the ios port, right??

sec ill look. forgot there was a few of them

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dongicus posted:

old thread

I maintain what I said at the end of the old thread, the only truly bad version of the PW Trilogy is the mobile version. The old DS/Wii versions are still fine to play if you have access to em, but in the way of modern releases that you can just buy, literally anything but the mobile trilogy looks and plays great.

As for 4-6 and the first AAI game, the most accessible versions are on mobile and those are leagues better than AA1-3's mobile port. AAI2 does not have any release outside of the original Japanese so that one must be emulated for the time being and the Layton Crossover will probably forever be stuck on 3DS.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

yeah its whatever is more convienent to the guy who asked, really

not everyone has a DS or can be bothered googling how to set up an emulator

Dongicus posted:

sec ill look. forgot there was a few of them

yeah still looks worse lol. tho not as bad as the ios version for sure.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obvious question first: physical release?

Edit: There it was at the bottom of the OP. Switch is getting it.

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, the rakugo case was weird but interesting, and "weird but interesting" is pretty much what I expect from AA at this point, so it's all good.

Besides, it still doesn't beat Nine-Tails Vale in terms of sheer "dev team messing with the localization team" energy.

I appreciate that they've really committed to the "What? No! These games take place in the US!" as it's become harder and harder to do it. That's some dedication.

I've been playing the second Ace Attorney game before going to sleep and I'm just reaching the big turn in the final case. I've been meaning to replay the third game and it had been long enough that I decided to play the second as well.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 21, 2021

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Simon going from old-fashioned samurai to a massive weeb was the best change the localization team made.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I’ve watched the first three cases LPd (by Tie Tuesday, if it matters) and despite my apprehension adored Herlock and Iris once they were introduced. I see some people goggling at the designs and I get it, but gosh do they just settle perfectly into the Ace Attorney universe.

I’m just overjoyed by this surprise and even happier Capcom is including all sorts of additional content. To me it’s their acknowledging “here’s this amazing thing and we want to share it all with everyone.”

IncendiaC posted:

Simon going from old-fashioned samurai to a massive weeb was the best change the localization team made.

I just imagined Simon learning about a historic attorney who wore a sword and smiled.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I have kept myself completely in the dark about TGAA beyond watching the trailer and I would like to say at this point that Iris is very cute.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

IncendiaC posted:

:yeah:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, out of curiosity has there been any word as the whether the Ace Attorney anime could possibly be getting a third season?

I would fully support a third season solely for the blooper reels.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I never played AA6 despite playing the rest of the series. I wonder if I should get on that. I thought there was a cell phone version but I do not see it for iPhone?

Also Herlock Sholmes apparently is an actual thing that moved into the public domain recently?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars%C3%A8ne_Lupin_versus_Herlock_Sholmes

EDIT: Oh wow I just looked and that is one hell of a package they are putting together.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

I would fully support a third season solely for the blooper reels.

Wait, the other two seasons had blooper reels? Got a link?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I knew about this entry to the series, but never played it or watched it, so I'm going in blind, heck yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Larryb posted:

Wait, the other two seasons had blooper reels? Got a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qszj6Wbkr38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E02nF5lJB2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2f8gwygj6I

Fair warning, they get really raunchy and otherwise NSFW.