Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I think my problem with AAI on the whole really is that Edgeworth is just like, too smug, even despite his "stunned in anger and can only make weird grunt moments" to work as a protagonist in this series.

PW and his proteges are pretty much always treated as underdogs during cases even in the later games when PW is known for pulling off insane bullshit in court. He's never really treated with that much respect which makes it more satisfying when he turns people's bullshit around on them.

That same sort of thing that bugged me in AAI dragged down the Layton cross-over a bit too, with one protagonist being dumped on underdog PW alongside a guy who is always treated as the smartest guy in the room and near-infallible to the point that iirc Layton just figures out everything offscreen and the last 20% of the game is waiting for PW and crew to catch up on that discovery so Layton can reveal it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Amppelix posted:

https://twitter.com/FalKoopa_/status/1384892010432286720

I didn't notice this on first viewing but this is super cool
Wonder if they'll leave the VO in Japanese for the trials set in Japan.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's cool they're crediting the VO in the trailer, wish it happened more often overseas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wonder if they'll leave the VO in Japanese for the trials set in Japan.

The game is dual audio anyway so that'd probably be redundant.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Zerilan posted:

I think my problem with AAI on the whole really is that Edgeworth is just like, too smug

WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT, this is the best thing about those two games

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Fangz posted:

WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT, this is the best thing about those two games

It gets wearysome to me for a main character after awhile.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zerilan posted:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Zerilan posted:

teh being wrong about ace attorny m-m-m-m-megathread

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

The game is dual audio anyway so that'd probably be redundant.

Clearly the solution is just to have the voices in Japanese for the Japanese cases and switch to English for the British cases.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zerilan posted:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I always loved that young Edgeworth wasn't just a reskin, and that they actually had him mimic Von Karma's emotes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Imagine if Edgeworth just kept getting strung along by having the defendants in all of his cases die before their trial completed, so that by the time he debuts in 1-2, he technically still has a 0-0 record.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Japan has a nice set of Great Ace Attorney and 1 through 3 that the US isn't getting and I put one on preorder. It's going to have english as an option and will be the same localization as the US release right? Never bought a game overseas like this before.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
If it's the same as the 3DS version, then it'll be the US localization, yeah.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/1392668443229540352

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I got a preorder in at Best Buy because I'm worried the physical edition will be a small run. Hoping to be able to shift it to a store pickup closer to release so I don't have to bow to the whims of Shipping Times.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
More games should have commentary on their audio tracks

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Something I might have missed, but is this just GAA 1 or is it 1 + 2 bundled together?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Both games.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's both GAA games, though Japan is also apparently getting a bundle that also includes Trilogy IIRC.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So are we, but it's just a digital bundle since Trilogy never came out physical here.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

£32! That's pretty drat reasonable.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hell yeah I slammed that preload button so hard. I can't wait! :stoked:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Physical release! :rock:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I just realized that every single character who ever mentions their father has abandonment issues from losing him at a young age

We need fewer stepladders in these games and more stepdads! Phoenix can't be everybody's!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Franziska doesn't.

She has a different set of issues originating with her father.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I just realized that soon enough, Kenji 2 will be the sole one that got away...:smith:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I really hope that the Apollo trilogy gets the PC port treatment next, I want to replay them but I don't feel like destroying my retinas trying to focus on a 3DS screen.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
They're all available on Android, which can be emulated on PC with Bluestacks.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Commander Keene posted:

Franziska doesn't.

She has a different set of issues originating with her father.

Franziska is right in the middle of losing her father at a young age when she shows up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also she could probably use a better father figure.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/ace_attorney_and_ghost_trick_return_to_the_ios_store

Looks like Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick are back on for iOS.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm playing Spirit of Justice and...why does Athena annoy me so much? At first, I thought "I'm just annoyed that she's not Maya", but I liked Trucy just fine during Apollo Justice.

Part of me thinks it's her constant use of random foreign phrases? Also I hate her emotions gimmick and enjoyed the mechanics of the magatama/Apollo's bracelet much more.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Athena is a character that has never really been used well, and part of that for me is that she's essentially shoved into third tier immediately after being introduced to make room for Apollo's five backstories. It's part of why I hope they do the same thing with her and just make her the protagonist of 7 and give her her own game for once.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I do think Athena's used a bit poorly in 6 specifically, and I hope she gets put front and center in 7. But I think her mood matrix is way better than Apollo's bracelet. That one is easily the worst of the 3 superpowers, just looking over a witness for a little animation is really boring.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if you are annoyed by athena i'm sorry but you just have awful taste

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the character personally, especially the dynamic she has with Blackquill. But yeah she didn't really get to do much in 6.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I do think Athena's used a bit poorly in 6 specifically, and I hope she gets put front and center in 7. But I think her mood matrix is way better than Apollo's bracelet. That one is easily the worst of the 3 superpowers, just looking over a witness for a little animation is really boring.

I think 5 and 6 having multiple playable characters is cool in theory, but I think it would have worked better if the agency was still just Phoenix and Apollo. Adding a third in Athena just makes things crowded and one has to get the short straw.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Her and Simon getting to star in one case together was her main highlight in 6 and was pretty great. But otherwise she's just kind of There.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, she’s only gotten to headline two and a quarterish cases since her debut, and one of those was a filler that didn’t have much (if any) relevance to the rest of the story aside from the thematic resonance of heritage.