Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maya being 28 made me feel like some kind of proud parent. They grow up so fast. :unsmith:

(Man that means Gumshoe would be 41... wow.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

ApplesandOranges posted:

Finished AA6-2 and this really feels like a case that should have been swapped with AA5-2.

It's a Trucy-focused case, which AA5 kinda needed since she was otherwise near invisible there. And it brings back Ema, who was in AA4 and is notably completely absent in AA5. Feels like 5-2 was just the 'Fullbright introduction case' to start building the rapport for him.

imo AA6-2 was the more fitting and true end to Trucy and Apollos arcs from AA4. What they actually did in AA4 was way more about Phoenix, but with Roger Retinz the Ratings Rajah, it sort of completes the Gramarye plot for me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I finally picked up Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane, cuz I'd been meaning to after seeing it talked up in this thread and it was on sale.

Oh my LORD I love it! I've only just finished the first case and I am thoroughly hooked. Yes it basically follows Phoenix Wright beat for beat, right down to the animations and music stingers being basically the same, but the magic aspect.

OH MY GOD the magic aspect. The spell cards you get could have been lifted straight out of D&D, and you point out inconsistencies with them by rules lawyering like a bunch of grognards at a tabletop game and I am SO loving CHARMED by it. :kimchi:

I didn't expect two interests of mine to intersect in quite this way but I am SO here for it.

And consensus was it gets even better as the game goes on? Oh dear time to STRAP IN, baby! We are in for a wild ride.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Sadly you stop counting grid squares after the first map. The later cases each have a focus on specific magic fuckery rather than whole spellbooks as well.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ugh. K I know some people in this thread played Tyrion Cuthbert and I need a hint. I am having the usual Ace Attorney problem where I have a pretty good idea of what happened, but I need to follow the primrose path and point out what the game wants me to point out first. I think I might be a couple steps ahead here...

I am on the second case, second trial day. Cross-examination of the school janitor.

I have three statements I can get him to add to his testimony: lady knocked over a vase, lady shoved him out of the way, and lady yelled at him to "Be Quiet."

I think the important one is the third one, because that's the same thing the lady said to the previous witness in response to "Good morning." But I don't know which piece of evidence or spell the game wants me to Present to point out a problem. Here's what I THINK is going on, and this is pure speculation: The Professor Bellweather that both of these witnesses saw was not the professor. It was a magical construct draped in Illusory Disguise to look like her, under orders to shove anyone out of the way who got in its way, and respond to any conversation with "Be Quiet."

I think I'm thinking ahead of where the game thinks I am and need a nudge to get back on track here. I tried presenting his previous statement he gave about the lady the day before, but no dice. If anybody could give me a tiny hint, I'd be grateful.

EDIT: I GOT IT. Yes I was right, I was a step ahead. First I had to prove a different thing.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 18, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally playing Ace Attorney chronicles and boy this game just opens with a three part court trial as a tutorial. Definitely feels like the first of these games where they felt confident enough to go all out on a bigger plot and also assume the player is ready for some Ace Attorneying from the outset.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Took my sweet time, and only finished the first game in the Apollo collection, with my history with the franchise being I've beat Ace Attorney 1-3 and GAA Chronicles.

I avoided spoilers here and elsewhere, but I kind of get the vibe that my feelings toward it are quite conventional. Game looks really good with its art, but the wrap up of the last two cases feel particularly anti-climactic.

And Phoenix gives Apollo a mystery envelope that actually never gets opened? And the abrupt turn into Another Code: Recollection was strange, but I didn't mind it, though some pieces of evidence feel like they've shifted slightly back in time. Weird how they let a disgraced attorney manipulate a jury pool, though I accepted from earlier games that the entire legal system makes no sense, and you should do whatever you think the plot wants you to do.

I guess a the little plot contrivances added up a bit to the point where they chipped away from overall world building. Though I was pleasantly surprised by the 2nd bracelet reveal. Well, onto Dual Destinies.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

And Phoenix gives Apollo a mystery envelope that actually never gets opened?.

You mean the one bearing a Gramarye signature? It's not opened as part of the events unfolding but all it is is a letter to Trucy granting her sole rights to the Gramarye trade secrets. Didn't you show it to Zak or w/e the guy who appeared in the third case is called?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Tesseraction posted:

You mean the one bearing a Gramarye signature? It's not opened as part of the events unfolding but all it is is a letter to Trucy granting her sole rights to the Gramarye trade secrets. Didn't you show it to Zak or w/e the guy who appeared in the third case is called?
Oh it was that? I believe they were listed as separate pieces of evidence in the court record, which to be fair was done before in previous games. But I just thought they were two different things entirely.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
As I recall there are two mystery envelopes; one is Phoenix' reproduction of the one in Kristoph's cell, with the murder stamp on it, while the other is the one from Zak to Trucy, giving her exclusive rights to the Gramarye repertoire. You present the former in court and there's a whole back and forth about how a reproduction is not admissible as evidence to convict Kristoph, but it is allowed to convince a jurist that Vera obviously didn't do it, while you present the latter to Valant to ruin his dreams and make him spill the beans about Magnifi's death. I'm pretty sure it gets wrapped up as part of the story.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I quickly checked again. They had different names and positions in the record during the Wright and Apollo sequences. I still think Apollo doesn't really do anything with it despite the "Do not open until the time is right" description.

If I'm still recalling it wrong, it's fine.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 25, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finished the first of the Chronicles games. Was not expecting to get Gregson as hes a lore character in Sherlock Holmes stories

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Finished Dual Destines, save for the DLC case. Better than Apollo Justice. Intro case was strong. Second case was okay despite how they gave the killer away in the opening cutscene. Third case had a few amusing moments and a strong finish, but I wasn't fond of the high school setting and how the culprit was always the most sus guy. Fourth and fifth case (really one big case) were good, that only gave the player the smoking gun for the real killer literally the last few moments before you name them. They probably sidelined Apollo and Athena too quickly, and gave Phoenix too many "backup Mayas". And I was getting annoyed at all the instances they kept hammering the dark age of the law!!!! :supaburn: in your face like okay we get it. I'm glad Phoenix stopped being an enigmatic hermit, though I wonder why he's still hiding the identity of Trucy and Apollo's mother from them.

I guess these are fairly conventional takeaways.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yes the constant hammering off THE DARK AGE OF THE LAW is certainly a routine source of mockery, given how easily it gets supposedly solved.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Finished the first of the Chronicles games. Was not expecting to get Gregson as hes a lore character in Sherlock Holmes stories

The game is full of those. Just wait til you figure out Jezaile Brette.

Tesseraction posted:

Yes the constant hammering off THE DARK AGE OF THE LAW is certainly a routine source of mockery, given how easily it gets supposedly solved.

Though at the same time it's funny to have the games seemingly acknowledge that all those high profile figures in the legal system get busted for murder and other crimes have consequences.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Barudak posted:

They probably figured they were safe from the rear end in a top hat Arthur Conan Doyle estate from going after them for that character. I think they would've just straight up used the Sherlock Holmes name if they could have.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The change was worth it just for the Herr Lock gag

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They probably figured they were safe from the rear end in a top hat Arthur Conan Doyle estate from going after them for that character. I think they would've just straight up used the Sherlock Holmes name if they could have.

I mean, the original game released in Japan under Japanese law (which I understand to be de facto extremely hostile against Doyle estate-type lawsuits by non-Japanese companies) straight up uses Sherlock Holmes.
E: you're so right you can drop the conditional tense since they straight up used Sherlock Holmes in a jurisdiction where they absolutely knew they could.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 15, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

The change was worth it just for the Herr Lock gag

It shows up in one of the old Basil Rathbone Sherlock Films, apparently its something people have mulled over for a long time.

Game is good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Herlock Sholmes also goes way back from Doyle's lawyers going after the original Arsene Lupin author for an unauthorised crossover.

Kinda ironic given iirc, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles released basically a couple months before the full Sherlock Holmes canon entered public domain anyway.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Herlock Sholmes also goes way back from Doyle's lawyers going after the original Arsene Lupin author for an unauthorised crossover.

Kinda ironic given iirc, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles released basically a couple months before the full Sherlock Holmes canon entered public domain anyway.

It was a year and a half and they probably didn't wanna wait that long.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

phoenix? Wright!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I refuse to believe case 5-SP was set between 5-2 and 5-3, because not once did they mention THE DARK AGE OF THE LAW.

also love the bait and switch and switch back with the orca cross examination.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i finished great ace attorney 2 yesterday and was going to write up some big plot thoughts here but i just found out natsume soseki was a real dude and what the gently caress

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I was watching a video of all the breakdowns in the AJ games, and being reminded how super zany and cartoony DD's animations are has warmed me back up a little on it. I still think it's one of the worst games in the series, but it still has a decent amount of charm unique to it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

abraham linksys posted:

i finished great ace attorney 2 yesterday and was going to write up some big plot thoughts here but i just found out natsume soseki was a real dude and what the gently caress

From what I understand I Am A Cat is basically the Japanese equivalent of the book everybody has to read in high school so there's an extra level of silliness to it that is mostly lost.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Belated PSA: I finished the first investigation for 6-2 in the Apollo Trilogy pack, and only found the Spirit of Justice animated Prologue cutscene in the museum and watched it, well after finishing the intro case. Before, I knew this cutscene exists, but I thought they were gonna show it later to contextualize a later case, since almost all of Dual Destinies happened non-chronologically anyway.

I figure it wasn't in the 3DS game too, which is why it didn't play when I started a new game for SoJ. It looks like some dudes on Reddit argued over whether or not it's really "canon", but I would have liked to have watched it before 6-1, even if it might undercut Maya's real re-introduction in the game when it eventually happens.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 24, 2024

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Blue Labrador posted:

I was watching a video of all the breakdowns in the AJ games, and being reminded how super zany and cartoony DD's animations are has warmed me back up a little on it. I still think it's one of the worst games in the series, but it still has a decent amount of charm unique to it.

It's weird but having played it for the first time recently, I didn't feel like DARK AGE OF THE LAW was that hammered in. Like yes they talk about it quite a bit, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be.

I like the game overall, though it has its ups and downs. I really liked 5-3, 5-2 was fine but it felt like filler (I strongly think it should be swapped with 6-2 personally outside of tweaking things that are specific to each game's overarching plot).

Also 5-3's culprit's breakdown is fantastic.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I adore Apollo and Blackquill in 5-3, but I think it also highlights my main beef with the Yamazaki games, which is that the actual murder mysteries and solutions... don't flow very well? Aren't intuitive? I can't exactly put my finger on it, but there's some quality I felt they lacked compared to the Takumi games, even before learning that the series has had two directorial teams.

I haven't gotten to 5-3 on my replay, but as I recall the culprit's alibi is that he was giving a speech in a packed auditorium, but the speech was pre-recorded and no one noticed he wasn't physically in the room? And no one comments that, what, he was supposedly talking from a side balcony and crouching behind the parapet or something? Also the whole Hugh O'conner/You're A Goner segment, which is so pointless that Simon just leaves and waits for it to be over, which rules on his part but is annoying to everyone else.

and not related to the trial itself, but I didn't care for the concept of lawyer high school, nor how everyone just rolls with Professor Means' offer to take up Juniper's case and fabricate evidence that gets her and her friends off the hook, because who gives a poo poo about due process, it's the dark age of the law, baby. I know Ace Attorney always takes liberties with how law and lawyers work, but that apparently turned out to be my limit.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the idea was that Means was talking from the PA booth at the back and having it broadcasted to the room.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mycot posted:

From what I understand I Am A Cat is basically the Japanese equivalent of the book everybody has to read in high school so there's an extra level of silliness to it that is mostly lost.

Kinda extra funny given from what I've read of it it's a super depressing book about a cat who dies of alcoholism.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Just finished Apollo Justice Case 2 (turnabout corner).

Its really dumb how the crux of the case is that a trained doctor could somehow not tell the difference between someone who was dead and unconscious,

mycot posted:

Botchan is also a book that everyone has to read in high school and Kokoro is an extremely well-known novel. He's a great enough novelist that he was the portrait on the 1000 yen note for 20 years.

His Ace Attorney portrait looks almost exactly like Edgar Allan Poe to me so I just imagine that its Japanese Edgar Allan Poe he's defending and I think it converts out pretty well for my mind especially since he helped invent the detective genre

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 30, 2024

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Just finished Apollo Justice Case 2 (turnabout corner).

Its really dumb how the crux of the case is that a trained doctor could somehow not tell the difference between someone who was dead and unconscious,

weirdly, that bit never bothered me, he wasn't a very good doctor, and he was planning to kill Tialita to shut her up, him thinking he needed to dispose of an already-dead body was just speculation on Apollo's part, it can be made to work

though I didn't care for the part immediately after, where Klavier points out he had a car and you have to figure out why he didn't take it, that just felt like a really weak final objection compared to the one in 3-2

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

weirdly, that bit never bothered me, he wasn't a very good doctor, and he was planning to kill Tialita to shut her up, him thinking he needed to dispose of an already-dead body was just speculation on Apollo's part, it can be made to work

though I didn't care for the part immediately after, where Klavier points out he had a car and you have to figure out why he didn't take it, that just felt like a really weak final objection compared to the one in 3-2

The entire thing with Phoenix Wright randomly being involved in the whole thing by chance feels real forced

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apollo Justice really has a lot of issues with feeling thrown together IMO. Doesn't help that the devs kinda realised Apollo barely had any real accomplishments in his own game and they invented like two additional backstories for him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love how Apollo collects backstories like I collect bullet heaven survivor clones on steam.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They really shouldn't have had Phoenix come back until like game 5. loving commit to your new protagonist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

They really shouldn't have had Phoenix come back until like game 5. loving commit to your new protagonist.

I think kinda the problem was they panicked halfway through development when someone realised they were making a game without Phoenix and demanded they throw him in. Kojima was at least deliberately loving with the fans and anticipated the reaction. Things like the timeskip they clearly have been trying to quietly ignore. (Though the Dark Age of the Law as I've said does actually make sense as a thing, as fallout for all the crazy poo poo that keeps happening like prosecutors getting convicted for murder and all)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Apollo not having any real accomplishments in his first game is fairly intentional. Like the last case points that out directly.

They just probably expected they'd get sequels out quicker to build on that instead of the next game being six years later and not starring Apollo Justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The issue is that Apollo has always just felt like Phoenix Wright 2.0 with little to distinguish himself from the original in terms of personality.

I'm wondering if Spirit of Justice is a send-off to the character, or if he show up again in like case 3 or 4 of the next game It feels like it could go either way.