Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

ol’ Jeff from this Parrish has been quite transparent on the costs of keeping this shitboat afloat.

well there was at least one post about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

vbulletin 2.whatever is better and more resilient software than most multibillion dollar corporations poo poo out

amazing this shitheap runs at all

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

vbulletin 2.whatever is better and more resilient software than most multibillion dollar corporations poo poo out

your monitors off again op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

this is true

the forums have been running on this dogshit for 20 years with pretty good uptime. according to the vendor narrative they should have burnt into a smouldering shitheap long ago

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this is very topical. the vps i use to tunnel all my internet traffic is currently stuck and i cant even restart it because all communication with the node is lost. thanks, cloud.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is not how we do clod migration jeffrey.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

all that radium code made it immortal in the same way radiation turn people into super heroes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Zlodo posted:

all that radium code made it immortal in the same way radiation turn people into super heroes

security through insanity

praise be unto thee lord radium :worship:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

this is true

the forums have been running on this dogshit for 20 years with pretty good uptime. according to the vendor narrative they should have burnt into a smouldering shitheap long ago

this in fact happened, which is why search was broken for 10 years

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

pram posted:

speaking of this, guess what i found earlier this week when the css didnt load properly for me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

fart simpson posted:

speaking of this, guess what i found earlier this week when the css didnt load properly for me

lmao

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

what does that mean

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

looks like a fun lil note to self.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cat Face Joe posted:

what does that mean

its load bearing html so they just hid it with css

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i know enough about these things to know this is funny. thank you

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it is not at all obvious to me what jeffrey thinks 'cloud' means. it's very clearly not what anybody else thinks 'cloud' means

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fart simpson posted:

yeah radium built in some good metadata tagging of posters based on their posting style

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
your cloud sounds like a real pos, jerf

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

astral posted:

Everyone, thank you again for bearing with us during the various site maintenances of the last week or so. You might not be surprised to learn that there were some missing pieces in SA's infrastructure. Perhaps most appallingly among those, there had not been a database replica server running for several years. Further, if the site had a backup process in place before, it must have lived on that missing replica; there did not seem to be anything configured. You read that correctly—for many years, these forums were one malformed shell command, bad SQL query, or hardware failure away from vanishing in a puff of magic smoke.

Over the last week we've largely rectified this. We've taken backups, spun up three new database servers (2 live forums, 1 archives), imported all the data, set up replication (meaning changes to the main database server are sent to the replica database server), and after the cloud provider maintenance is behind us we'll work on migrating the forums from the old database servers to the new (timeline TBD). This will involve an easter egg hunt as we migrate all of radium's little cron scripts over, but thankfully Jeffrey already has a good handle on where these live. One of those new servers is already in production and handling database queries for things like displaying attachments, calculating the results for the "Who posted?" feature, as well as for various administrative tools.

With this work—and more—completed, we have the utmost confidence that we'll be able to recover from several potential worst-case scenarios, both in the upcoming downtime for cloud host maintenance and as we proceed onward into the future. Thanks for loving the forums.

:catstare:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lmao nice nice

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
lmao

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i'm glad our precious posts are no longer in danger

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

fart simpson posted:

i hope it’s cheap at least

it was run by lowtax so you know it is

pram posted:

the sacrificial feature given to perpetuate to whole

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

did anyone think otherwise?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lmao

I’m glad that people were paying lowtax a deece monthly salary for that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just lmao at them keeping the concept of paying for archives tho

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
those archives are a liability to me. they must be.....heh.....destroyed.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol bad rear end.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lmao

I’m glad that people were paying lowtax a deece monthly salary for that

yeah it was like $12k+ a month for a while there lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GTRs full of gourmet airmail cookies don't just pay for themselves

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

jeffrey of yospos come home to your people. we can create the ultimate goon project - installing a lamp stack

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
literally how big can this all be? you can probably fit the entire forums in ram, excluding images which should be on a different server anyway.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

have they tried kubernetes? i think they should try kubernetes.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

you could probably spin the web/app tier up on a bunch of t3 instances with spot pricing for a few bucks a month. the DB would be mildly chonky tho i’d say?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Gentle Autist posted:

you could probably spin the web/app tier up on a bunch of t3 instances with spot pricing for a few bucks a month. the DB would be mildly chonky tho i’d say?

five hundred million posts if the IDs are to be believed. let’s say 1kb each on average, 500 GB of data total. that’s like a db for babies

The Management fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 23, 2021

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i say we move to nosql

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you could tokenize 'lol' and 'turn your monitor on' and probably knock yospos' db size by 73%