Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON
Was that a taskmaster reference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well, she is a zerg monster. And so far they have shown zero interest in activities not labeled murder or devour.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
"You are the enemy of all who live, Kerrigan" seems very specific to her, though, especially saying the enemy. It's not like he's saying, "As a zerg monster, you're a threat to all life" or something.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

FoolyCharged posted:

Well, she is a zerg monster. And so far they have shown zero interest in activities not labeled murder or devour.

Also Zeratul just watched the Zerg eat like 70% of his entire species, I don't exactly blame him for not giving Calm Rational Kerrigan the benefit of the doubt

and in the end, he's totally right

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I understand him balking at trusting her, he just seems to have an oddly specific beef with her given that I don't think she has specifically done much to warrant that much personal infamy yet, that's all! And yes it turns out he's right, which makes a bit weirder because it's like he's peeked ahead.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

I understand him balking at trusting her, he just seems to have an oddly specific beef with her given that I don't think she has specifically done much to warrant that much personal infamy yet, that's all! And yes it turns out he's right, which makes a bit weirder because it's like he's peeked ahead.

to be fair, it was very specifically Kerrigan that led the efforts to hunt down the Dark Templar on Char while the rest of the Swarm left for Aiur.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Oh lol, completely forgot that. :v:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 2, 2024

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

But it is an interesting point in general, I think, that 90% of Zeratul and Infested Kerrigan's characterizations come from this expansion. They have surprisingly small roles in the base game, Kerry dropping off the face of the earth halfway through and Zerry mostly being in the background unless it's time to kill a Cerebrate or bail out Tassadar.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Exciting news, everyone! I'm home now, so I was able to replace the crappy low-res picture of Razzy's head with a slightly better one. Also, she's possibly my biggest gripe with the Remastered artwork. Here's her now:

And here's what she looked like in '98:

Way better, right?

Also, in doing this part of the LP I now understand why Selendis barely appears in LotV: she and Artanis are basically the same character. Seriously. Try writing something in Artanis's voice, then try writing something in Selendis's voice. It's gonna be basically the same. Artanis is maybe more of a drama queen, but otherwise they're pretty much identical.

GodFish posted:

I believe the starting Disruption Webs originally lasted long enough to fully destroy the sunken colonies, but the duration was nerfed in a patch that hit single player too, leading to a less impressive spotlight than before.

I looked it up and you're right! Patch 1.08 nerfed the web duration and the campaign was never adjusted to compensate for it. Kind of a relief, really. I was thinking "Man, I knew my micro was bad, but I didn't know it was that bad."

You're right about the Overlords, that makes sense. And that's a fun fact about Tassadar, I didn't catch that. Makes sense, though - why make new High Templar hero when old High Templar hero do trick?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Was that a taskmaster reference?

If it was something I wrote, then no, not deliberately. If it was something Blizzard wrote, then... maybe? Hard to say.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will say, I don't mind the artstyle change for the Dark Templar.

Originally, they honestly just sorta looked like Protoss hobos wearing ninja masks.

Now, they're designed to look like a distinct, yet functional and still Protoss culture. Just because they have a combat focus on stealth doesn't mean they're all gonna dress in rags. Are they Protoss, or are they Protoss? And Raszagal is their leader. Their Matriarch. She may be old, but it fits that she's going to look fancy.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

GodFish posted:

I believe the starting Disruption Webs originally lasted long enough to fully destroy the sunken colonies, but the duration was nerfed in a patch that hit single player too, leading to a less impressive spotlight than before.

Yep, that’s what happened. I had StarCraft 64, and this is one of the most memorable balance differences I saw soon after I got it on PC.

Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne expansion was the first place I remember them really considering single player and multiplayer balance separately. Undead Banshee units could permanently sacrifice themselves to possess an enemy unit, and one expansion mission’s bonus objectives revolves around that. A ways into the expansion’s life cycle, they changed it to a channeled ability for multiplayer, but kept the original version for the campaign.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

GunnerJ posted:

Zeratul calling Kerrigan "enemy of all who live" at this point seems like a bit much given that, up until now, she's just been this weird Overmind science experiment stomping around on Char.

I brought this up in the Starcraft 2 LP but Kerrigan really didn't do much worthy of contempt or hatred in the base game at all since the Overmind left her behind for the invasion of Aiur. Perhaps some things will happen in this expansion to make her worthier of a negative reputation, ~who knows~, but the level of hostility they meet her with is pretty over the top. Like, assuming that these two Cerebrates are working for her is a weird leap. The Cerebrates all hated Kerrigan except for the PC Cerebrate, who was her commander. Why assume she's in charge of anything?

It's almost enough to make me wonder why they contrived to make sure Raynor wasn't here to lobby on her behalf. He would have the most reason to entertain the idea that she might have been "set free," by the Overmind's death. That would seem to be the logical narrative choice.

BlazetheInferno posted:

to be fair, it was very specifically Kerrigan that led the efforts to hunt down the Dark Templar on Char while the rest of the Swarm left for Aiur.

...I also forgot this though. Fair point to Zeratul.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They don't know that the cerebrates hate her and they don't know what the Zerg chain of command looks like after the Overmind ate poo poo, they would be right to be suspicious of her even if she called them to propose a little bit of mutual help or even emergency extraction, the Zerg are nothing if not insidious.

It would actually be pretty funny to keep a log of the violations of the laws of armed conflict she actually racks up in here vs in SC2.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Ah. So, in taskmaster, Greg Davis, the titular taskmaster keeps belittling his assistant Alex Horne by calling him, in a sing-song voice, little Alex horne and Kerrigan calling Matt that kinda seemed like a riff there

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Ohohoho, My friend and I ended up delivering a very succinct summary of Kerrigan's contribution to this particular campaign (as in like, Episode 4, The Protoss Campaign, specifically, not all of Brood War).

I will be waiting until an appropriate time to post it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

...I also forgot this though. Fair point to Zeratul.

Though otoh this at most makes her the enemy of the Dark Templar.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

JohnKilltrane posted:

Also, in doing this part of the LP I now understand why Selendis barely appears in LotV: she and Artanis are basically the same character. Seriously. Try writing something in Artanis's voice, then try writing something in Selendis's voice. It's gonna be basically the same. Artanis is maybe more of a drama queen, but otherwise they're pretty much identical.

I don't agree on this, although that's mostly comparing Selendis in Starcraft 2 to Artanis in Starcraft 2. Artanis in Brood War is a completely different character. I would much rather have had Selendis as the player character in its Protoss campaign and it's not just because she's a woman.

Even then though, I read Brood War Artanis as a young, headstrong, naive hotshot. He's open-minded and trusting. We never see that much of her in SC2 but from what we do see, Selendis is a lot more stubborn and quick to choose violence. She'd rather settle disagreements with a good fight than talk things out.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Selendis feels like a replacement of Fenix, and Artanis becomes a replacement of Tassadar. Much like their replacements, that means Selendis gets a lot of shafting in the narrative, much like what happens with Fenix.

poo poo, Selendis gets shafted MORE, for very stupid plot reasons

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

SIGSEGV posted:

They don't know that the cerebrates hate her and they don't know what the Zerg chain of command looks like after the Overmind ate poo poo, they would be right to be suspicious of her even if she called them to propose a little bit of mutual help or even emergency extraction, the Zerg are nothing if not insidious.

It would actually be pretty funny to keep a log of the violations of the laws of armed conflict she actually racks up in here vs in SC2.

I was about to say that I thought Zeratul touched the Zerg Hivemind when he killed the Cerebrate and so he could have some idea about Kerrigan's relatively subservient place in the swarm, but now I'm thinking that connection only went one way because it was the Overmind that was talking about that and it's not like he saw the invasion of Aiur coming so he might not have even realized that connection happened.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sanguinia posted:

I was about to say that I thought Zeratul touched the Zerg Hivemind when he killed the Cerebrate and so he could have some idea about Kerrigan's relatively subservient place in the swarm, but now I'm thinking that connection only went one way because it was the Overmind that was talking about that and it's not like he saw the invasion of Aiur coming so he might not have even realized that connection happened.

He did realize it happened, actually. He talks later about guilt, because he knows that the connection, which happened because of him killing Zasz, allowed The Overmind to find Aiur. Hell, other people BLAME him for it, because they know it happened too. Also, he talked about learning the Overmind's origins as a Xel'naga creation, and why it's so important to stop it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

SIGSEGV posted:

they would be right to be suspicious of her even if she called them to propose a little bit of mutual help or even emergency extraction, the Zerg are nothing if not insidious.

I don't know that the Zerg have ever done more than be actively hostile, even if that hostility can be sneaky infestations rather than open invasion. I don't see the Overmind inviting some Protoss honchos to a ceasefire negotiation and killing them. I can certainly see looking very askance at Kerrigan showing up and talking rather than fighting, though.

SIGSEGV posted:

Agree that this would be fun, though it's pretty much always warcrimes o'clock in the Koprulu sector so we shouldn't ignore all the ones that the Terran and Protoss commit along the way.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Here's an amusing video of what happens if you try and completely block the cerebrates from respawning when not killed by DTs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBtpvSuRF8c

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Random fact about corsairs: Of the 3 AA units added in Brood War, they're the only ones who don't have a projectile attack. This seldom matters, but in some custom games, total unit counts could get so high that projectiles stopped spawning, leaving the corsair the only AA splash unit that could attack. This was, of course, constantly abused in the maps where it mattered (Bunker Wars being the most common one)

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

SoundwaveAU posted:

Here's an amusing video of what happens if you try and completely block the cerebrates from respawning when not killed by DTs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBtpvSuRF8c

That video has strong I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream energy from the cerebrates’ perspectives.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

JackSplater posted:

Random fact about corsairs: Of the 3 AA units added in Brood War, they're the only ones who don't have a projectile attack. This seldom matters, but in some custom games, total unit counts could get so high that projectiles stopped spawning, leaving the corsair the only AA splash unit that could attack. This was, of course, constantly abused in the maps where it mattered (Bunker Wars being the most common one)

so did Remastered break the balance of those maps then? Didn't other projectile-based units get more viable because of fixes and engine updates

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Aces High posted:

so did Remastered break the balance of those maps then?

Ha! "Remastered broke the balance of those maps", title of Blizzard's sex tape.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

painedforever posted:

Ha! "Remastered broke the balance of those maps", title of Blizzard's sex tape.

......let's be honest, the contents of Blizzard's sex tape is evidence in a variety of criminal trials.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Unit Spotlight: Corsair

The Corsair as it appears in the manual.

Cost: 150 minerals, 100 vespene, 2 supply

HP: 100

Shields: 80

Armour: 1

Size: Medium

Damage: 5 (+1)

Damage Type: Normal Explosive

DPS: ~14.9 (+ ~3)

Range: 5

Sight: 9

Speed: 6.67

Special: Splash Damage, Disruption Web.

Built from the Stargate with no other tech requirements, the Corsair fills the much-needed role of a fast, (relatively) inexpensive air superiority fighter that can take down weaker flying enemies. The raw damage output is low, but with attacks coming at a speed of roughly 2.98 shots per second, it adds up pretty quickly. Add to that the fact that it’s normal damage, and therefore does full damage to small fliers like Mutas It's actually Explosive damage! Thanks blazetheinferno! Even only doing half damage, Corsairs still attack quickly enough to chew through Mutas. It still does so at 5 range instead of 4, so it's already outclassing the Scout. But then you factor in the splash damage – Corsairs are doing that damage to everything in a small radius, and like the Archon, Reaver, and Firebat, that splash damage doesn’t harm friendly units. A clump of Magic Box’d Mutas will just get shredded by these guys. Absolutely destroyed.

Of course, there’s downsides, too. As we saw, they have no ground attack whatsoever. And having a rapid-fire, low-damage attack means that they’re pretty awful against capital ships. And like the Dark Templar while they’re not squishy by Zerg and Terran standards they’re a little fragile by Protoss standards. Of course, as the second and final Medium-sized flyer in the game (200 Killtrane Bucks to whoever can remember the first one without looking it up), they’re a little tougher than they look, as they’re only taking 75% damage from explosive attacks – once their shields run out, that is.

They also join the ranks of the Battlecruiser and the Wraith as having space mana that they use for just one ability: Disruption Web. Researched from the Fleet Beacon for 200 of each resource, we saw its effects pretty clearly in the previous mission. It costs 125 Space Mana, lasts for ~15 seconds, covers the same radius as Psi-Storm, and prevents all ground units and buildings underneath from attacking.

There’s a couple of peculiarities to note. First, it only prevents actually using the “Attack” action. This means abilities are unhindered. Spellcasters can still cast spells, Zerg can burrow and unburrow, Tanks can Siege up and down, etc. Second, it does not prevent Spider Mines from attacking (nor does it prevent Vultures from planting them). Reavers under Web can’t spit Scarabs, but Scarabs spat from outside can detonate under Web. Third, it does not prevent Detectors from Detecting. No easy evasion for your Dark Templar here.
And finally there’s the requisite energy upgrade, Argus Jewel, which for 100 of each resource gives the Corsair +50 space mana, allowing it to cast Disruption Web twice without needing to recharge.

My lukewarm take about the Corsair is that it doesn’t actually make the Scout redundant. Think about the things it’s used for – hunting Mutas, shutting down static D. We didn’t really use Scouts for those things before we had Corsairs, either (except I guess that one island mission). Where we made good use of Scouts was in Protoss 08 – blasting apart Carriers, Arbiters, and other Scouts. These are things that we wouldn’t want to use Corsairs for.

So it’s less that the Corsair is replacing the Scout and more that the Scout’s niche is so specific that more general air superiority is a role it doesn’t fill with or without the Corsair around. The only spot of overlap between them is maybe Guardians.

In all its glory. I think it's a pretty cool design. This seems to be an expanded, coloured, and mirrored version of the manual render above?

Fluff: Like the Razzinator said in the previous mission, the Dark Templar spent ages as a nomadic people before they settled on Shakuras. During this time, they were forced to develop ways to safeguard their ships as they travelled from system to system, leading to them devising the Corsair: a fast, light, one-man craft armed with Neutron Flares that discharge fast bursts of energy over a small area.

Tech Fluff: Corsair craft can be augmented to allow their Dark Templar pilot to channel their psionic energy through the Neutron emitters, amplifying it over a wide area to create a field of psionic static. This static interferes with electric impulses, temporarily scrambling both neural pathways and electronic systems to prevent any sort of targeting, assisted or naked, from within. This Disruption Web is drawn by the magnetic resonance of the various minerals buried within most planets and so will settle on the ground, preventing it from affecting anything airborne.

…so, wait, interfering with neuroelectric impulses? Is the Disruption Web just forcibly inducing seizures? I don’t know why that feels more messed up than ripping their heads apart with a Psi Storm or dropping a nuke on them, but it does.

The Argus Jewel does not get any sort of fluff description. Presumably it’s a crystal of some sort that can be outfitted on the ship to amplify the pilot’s psionic power and make it easier to create Disruption Webs.

I looked it up online to see if they ever provided any later fluff for it and I couldn’t find anything. I did, however, learn that the Jewel of Argus is a transdimensional ship from the planet Argus in World of Warcraft, which… uh… man, things have really gone off the rails there.

Very little fan art of the Corsair, so here it is in the Starcraft Field Manual. The SC2 conception of it here doesn't look quite the same, but it still gives the general idea.

Campaign Usage: A quirk of the Corsair is that it serves very different roles between the campaign and competitive. In the campaign it can be useful for fending off Mutalisk attacks but the main draw here is going to be Disruption Web. As we saw here, shutting down enemy static defense can be very helpful, and it can also be great for handling enemy units as well. I even like it as a sort of panic button if a High Templar has been surrounded by Zerglings. So we’ll be getting a moderate amount of use out of it.

Competitive Usage: In contrast to the campaign, Disruption Web is almost never used in competitive. The biggest issue is that it’s on the Fleet Beacon: the most expensive building in the game that otherwise does nothing for you unless it’s late game PvT and you’re getting Carriers. You’ve also got the problem where static D is a lot less common and enemies can otherwise just micro their units out of the Web. Now, forcing the enemy to move or be unable to fire is no small thing and can confer a big tactical advantage, but then you run into the third issue: Storm also forces them to move, but also harms and potentially kills them if they don’t, instead of just disarming them. So when player focus is such a precious resource, why direct that focus to casting Web instead of Storm?

So you know, you might occasionally see oddities where, I dunno, Protoss is really putting the pressure on a Zerg who’s turtling up in response and Protoss decides that Zerg’s Sunkens are best dealt with by dropping a combined 500 minerals and 400 vespene on a Fleet Beacon and the Disruption Web research rather than spending that on 3 and a bit Reavers or whatever, but it’s very rare.

However, Corsair’s considerable air-to-air power is far stronger in competitive than it is in campaign, cementing them as a staple unit of PvZ.

Vs. Terran: In theory, this is the one matchup where Disruption Web shines the most – Tanks in Siege Mode will have a hard time moving out of the Web, their damage is very front-loaded so shutting them down ASAP is often better than wounding them with Storm, and their high range makes a flying unit ideal for lobbing spells at them.

The problem is that Corsairs just don’t have much use outside of that in this matchup. In traditional play Terran’s getting one or two Wraiths to thwart Shuttles and they’ll probably have a Dropship or two out, you don’t want to get Corsairs to deal with those. Especially because Corsairs need to hit a certain critical mass before they become Wraith-killers. So Disruption Web is good, but you’d be investing a ton of resources into it that you just can’t afford.

Now, my amateur armchair analysis is that Protoss are going more and more Shuttle-happy, so Terran are getting bigger clumps of Wraiths, so Protoss may start using Corsairs to counter those Wraiths, in which case they might also say “Hey, might as well get Dweb.” Am I right? Probably not. But it’d be cool.

Vs. Zerg:

This is where Corsairs really shine. You’re probably never gonna see Web here: Zerg ground units are fast enough that it barely gives them pause, and even Zerg’s immobile attacker (Lurkers) are going to be able to skitter out of it pretty quickly. Add that to the expense of a Fleet Beacon and things just don’t add up.

But that’s totally okay because Corsairs themselves are very strong in this matchup. Let’s start with the most obvious application, Muta hunting. Here we see a “Sword and Shield” relationship similar to Wraiths and Goliaths for Terran, where if all you want is to keep certain areas safe from Mutas, High Templar (aka your Shield) will often suffice. But if the Mutas are being a real nuisance all over the place and you need to seek and destroy, man are Corsairs gonna do the job.

Arguably even more important is using Corsairs to hunt Overlords. We mentioned this a bit last time – using even one Corsair to chase away an Overlord and make an opening for Dark Templar to exploit is a very powerful harassment option. But beyond that, you can cause all sorts of trouble just by picking off Overlords around the map. Deny vision, maybe even supply cap your opponent for a bit. Fun stuff. If Protoss wants, they can really double down on this, getting a large amount of Corsairs to keep the skies clear of Overlords, opening the potential for Dark Templar as not just harassment cheese but actual shock troops out on the map.

Scourge are a big threat here. Scourge have very low HP and a tendency to bunch up if not micro’d well by Zerg, so theoretically a few Corsairs can shred through a pack before they can even detonate – but it’s real risky. Especially since it’s likely that the Scourge are gonna be mixed in with some Mutas. It’s like what we saw last spotlight, with using DT to one-shot activated mines before they go off. You can do it, and it might work, but it also might blow up in your face.

There’s one final use for Corsairs which is the most mundane but arguably the most important: recon. There’s a strange wall Protoss hits towards the end of the early game/start of the mid-game where scouting becomes really difficult. Workers won’t make it across the map, Zealots and/or Dragoons are a bit too dear to use to suicide scout, and you haven’t teched up to Observers yet. And especially in this matchup, you need that intel. You need to know how many bases Zerg is on, how many Drones they have, and which tech buildings they have going. This is crucial to avoid being blindsided.

So, often Protoss will make a Stargate the first advanced building they get and pop out just one Corsair to zoom around and take a look at what Zerg’s up to. They’ll get more Corsairs later, probably, but at first it’s just the one. Kind of a tough thing to justify in PvT and PvP, both cases where you’re better off just getting your Observatory up ASAP, but here, where you’ll be getting good use out of Corsairs anyway? Great option. In fact, great to the point that Zerg might delay Mutas and instead first get Scourge to counter this.

Protoss got a big wing of Corsairs in response to Zerg’s big flock of Mutas. Zerg responds with Scourge…

…and takes down quite a few Corsairs…

…but it’s not enough to stop their merciless shredding of the Mutas.

Versus Protoss: Extremely limited use in this matchup. I actually can’t recall ever seeing a Corsair used in PvP. I guess you could try using one to chase Shuttles or even drop Webs on Dragoons, but you’ve got better things you could be doing.

Five Minutes Shorter: This is actually the last time we’ll see this segment, because none of the new units have hero versions. Actually, maybe the second last time, because one of them has a weird kinda-sorta-but-not-really exception (the Dark Archon, which sees the base unit edited into a hero version for one mission in Enslavers 2).

JohnKilltrane fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 8, 2024

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

JohnKilltrane posted:

Of course, as the second and final Medium-sized flyer in the game (200 Killtrane Bucks to whoever can remember the first one without looking it up)

Science Vessel?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I... have bad news, actually.

The corsair doesn't actually do Normal damage. it deals Explosive damage. Which... is strange, considering that makes it weaker at countering Mutalisks, which are Small, and thus take half damage. Unless all my reference materials are wrong.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

painedforever posted:

Science Vessel?

Nope! That's Large.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I... have bad news, actually.

The corsair doesn't actually do Normal damage. it deals Explosive damage. Which... is strange, considering that makes it weaker at countering Mutalisks, which are Small, and thus take half damage. Unless all my reference materials are wrong.

Holy crap, you're right! If you'd held me at gunpoint I would have sworn the Corsair does Normal damage, and I'd thought I'd doublechecked that. Maybe I'd confused it with another unit I was looking up? I'll have to fix that.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It does go to show just how ruthless the Corsair is that even doing just 2.5 damage a shot (no upgrades on either side), they still rip groups of mutalisks to shreds.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is the micro too intensive to split up all your mutas to avoid the splash? I'm assuming so because otherwise people would just do that.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

Ravenfood posted:

Is the micro too intensive to split up all your mutas to avoid the splash? I'm assuming so because otherwise people would just do that.

Generally, yes, especially for a more macro-focused race like Zerg who needs to really make sure they're hitting their larva timings moreso than shepherding their units. The problem is that unlike Irradiate where you just need to send away the one afflicted Muta (and even that can sometimes be too micro-intensive), here you'd have to separate all of them, which isn't easy - and, of course, doing so loses the offensive power from the synchronized shots through Magic Boxing.

You can do things like split the Mutas into two groups to try to save one of them, and that's what players will sometimes do if they can't win. But even then, the speed at which Corsairs do damage means that the surviving Mutas will be pretty heavily wounded and not good for much until they've had time to regenerate.

BlazetheInferno posted:

It does go to show just how ruthless the Corsair is that even doing just 2.5 damage a shot (no upgrades on either side), they still rip groups of mutalisks to shreds.

Yeah that's absolutely wild. Like the speed at which they chew through Mutas is insane, I'd never have guessed that their damage was being halved.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

JohnKilltrane posted:

Five Minutes Shorter: This is actually the last time we’ll see this segment, because none of the new units have hero versions. Actually, maybe the second last time, because one of them has a weird kinda-sorta-but-not-really exception (the Dark Archon, which sees the base unit edited into a hero version for one mission in Enslavers 2).

This is kind of untrue, but not mechanically. Hero Corsair does exist in the game, it's Raszagal. In vanilla StarEdit it can only be seen when selecting portraits for mission briefings / in-game talking via triggers, but using any of the third party editors lets you place it and edit it like a normal unit. There's a handful of these, but they're mostly Terrans if I remember right.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Welp. I went with guardian.

The answer:
The queen

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

quote:

Fluff: Like the Razzinator said in the previous mission, the Dark Templar spent ages as a nomadic people before they settled on Shakuras. During this time, they were forced to develop ways to safeguard their ships as they travelled from system to system, leading to them devising the Corsair: a fast, light, one-man craft armed with Neutron Flares that discharge fast bursts of energy over a small area.

Safeguard them from who? Other Protoss?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TheLoquid posted:

Safeguard them from who? Other Protoss?

There are a bunch of other intelligent alien species. They're only barely mentioned and never show up in the games, but the Protoss have fought many of them and have a whole Prime Directive situation with others.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Lettuce attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

Welp. I went with guardian.

The answer:
The queen