Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Vietnom nom nom posted:

Yeah this is me too, there's just something about the aesthetics & designs that feels unique and cool, I very rarely preorder but I wanted to support this. Also it's good to see that they posted unedited gameplay footage from old consoles after the Cyberpunk disaster.

They really do seem to be very pointedly NOT doing what CDPR did with Cyberpunk.

They were originally shooting for a 2020 launch and may have seen the Cypberpunk trainwreck and been like "Well see you in 2021 LMAO" :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Man, let's not talk Cyberpunk in here anymore than we have to. It's depressing.

I'm really glad Biomutant buckled down and made the single-player game they ostensibly wanted to make. I'm really excited to give it a shot and given some of the other games I've spent $40 on in the past year (*cough* like Cyberpunk *cough*), if it even meets half of the reasonable expectations the preview videos have set for me, it'll be the best vidja game purchase I've made in the past year.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

sean10mm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgjNf0upii0

Not sure how different this is from what we've already seen, but this is specifically PC 4K 60fps gameplay video posted by THQ Nordic today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRMrDZc4qLQ

PS4 Pro and Xbox One X 1080p60 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXtyhpeayc8

Plain PS4/Xbox one 1080p30

man, it's super cool that they released these. Should be mandatory for games these days. I'll probably jazz up the OP sometime before this releases and add this to it.

all signs point to the studio being really proud of their work, I really hope this turns out to be something memorable. ten days!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
How do they claim that this game is only 10 GB in the minimum requirements? That's really surprising unless the world is super small, isn't it?

e: never mind that seems like it might be an error on the resale site, steam says 25 GB which sounds closer although still probably smaller than I would've expected

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Still just over here wondering why no one is using this engine to make a Redwall game.

I would pay a lot of money to play a Lord Brocktree game. Man, you have no idea.

Mildly excited for this one, glad they got rid of the BOING! effect when you jump.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
There's load of factors that come into play for install size. Texture resolution, sound files, localisations, FMV cutscenes...

It's worth noting that No Man's Sky is ~10GB, and that has the largest playable area of any game ever made. It's not about the size of the area, it's about what goes into rendering it.

They've been pretty open about the size of the world (a 64km^2 (8km x 8km) square), which is supposedly only slightly smaller than GTAV's map. You do have to be careful about comparisons like that though because scale like that only really matters with context. this might feel a lot larger simply because it takes longer to traverse without vehicles.

Oxxidation posted:

is that kevin "stanley parable" brighting as the narrator in the latest clip

It really does sound like him, but apparently it's someone called David Shaw Parker, looks like he's done a bunch of videogame stuff. And The Muppet Christmas Carol.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Since the player character is a creature much smaller than a normal human, the FOV is smaller and thus the textures in a scene can be smaller, too. It saves on a ton of disc space and is a strategy (moving away from human FOV) more and more studios are using

Orv
May 4, 2011

Play posted:

How do they claim that this game is only 10 GB in the minimum requirements? That's really surprising unless the world is super small, isn't it?

e: never mind that seems like it might be an error on the resale site, steam says 25 GB which sounds closer although still probably smaller than I would've expected

AirRaid posted:

There's load of factors that come into play for install size. Texture resolution, sound files, localisations, FMV cutscenes...

It's worth noting that No Man's Sky is ~10GB, and that has the largest playable area of any game ever made. It's not about the size of the area, it's about what goes into rendering it.

They've been pretty open about the size of the world (a 64km^2 (8km x 8km) square), which is supposedly only slightly smaller than GTAV's map. You do have to be careful about comparisons like that though because scale like that only really matters with context. this might feel a lot larger simply because it takes longer to traverse without vehicles.

Also keep in mind we have and have had for a while now incredibly good compression that takes very little time at all, studios have just stopped using it because gently caress you and your drive space.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Since the player character is a creature much smaller than a normal human, the FOV is smaller and thus the textures in a scene can be smaller, too. It saves on a ton of disc space and is a strategy (moving away from human FOV) more and more studios are using

I think you're referring to depth of field, not field of view, but either way that would help at run time, not on compressing file sizes. The textures are still the same size, you just have less of them on screen.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Aren't there a ton of games from the PS4 era that are huge because they got all their audio in .wav because it saved them a few pennies in codec licensing costs and "who cares we got space on blueray"?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Titanfall 2 was notable for that when it released. All audio in like 8 languages, uncompressed. :allears:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

They probably reuse a lot of the outdoor textures and lean more on comparatively smaller model variations. I imagine shaders have progressed to the point that they can effectively make variations of a texture for cheap too. If you want to see some even wilder optimization, go look up HAWKEN, a game that was only 5GB in size.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

And then there's .kkrieger, the game that takes 96kb. Yes, 96 kilobytes.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

And then there's .kkrieger, the game that takes 96kb. Yes, 96 kilobytes.

That kind of demoscene stuff was awesome, I played .kkrieger years and years ago. Do people still make those?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

AirRaid posted:

That kind of demoscene stuff was awesome, I played .kkrieger years and years ago. Do people still make those?

64k intros, and even 4k and 1k intros, are a staple of demo scene events. But very small games are rarer.

Here's a couple made by some people I know. The top one is 1kb, the bottom is 4kb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgDlqC19kss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESeOSd9joEw

E: here are some more 64K intros, IMO 64k is the sweet spot for demoscene things. You can do a lot of impressive stuff if you're extremely good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYyL_mEQWOM

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 15, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Control Volume posted:

They probably reuse a lot of the outdoor textures and lean more on comparatively smaller model variations. I imagine shaders have progressed to the point that they can effectively make variations of a texture for cheap too. If you want to see some even wilder optimization, go look up HAWKEN, a game that was only 5GB in size.

The recent PS5 version of Subnautica is about 5gb as well, which is about a 3rd of the PS4 version size.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

RatHat posted:

The recent PS5 version of Subnautica is about 5gb as well, which is about a 3rd of the PS4 version size.

Yeah but uh, Im not about to hold that one up as a paragon of clever programming

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pewdiepie streamed an older build of this yesterday. It's Pewdiepie(yeah...) but if you're really desperate for more footage then here's 4 hours of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVNautEM2Ug

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

RatHat posted:

Pewdiepie streamed an older build of this yesterday. It's Pewdiepie(yeah...) but if you're really desperate for more footage then here's 4 hours of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVNautEM2Ug

Let's not post nazi poo poo

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i see thq nordic is back to their old stunts

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

EA Play Pro probably worth it for at least a couple of months considering it includes Mass Effect Legendary and this game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RatHat posted:

Games that are designed for SSD-having consoles don’t need to use the trick of duplicating (or more) assets to reduce seek times for them, which can make a big difference in install size.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So new Explanation trailer just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Tq2Hr8I3E

While I am really digging the look, feel and just in general weirdness of everything the lack of reviews make feel like Biomutant is going to end up being a very wide but shallow game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BexGu posted:

While I am really digging the look, feel and just in general weirdness of everything the lack of reviews make feel like Biomutant is going to end up being a very wide but shallow game.
tbf pre-release reviews are pretty much a thing of the past

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
And I wouldn't really mind that but locking a class behind preorders is just dirty.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BexGu posted:

And I wouldn't really mind that but locking a class behind preorders is just dirty.

It's not great but it looks like classes just define your starting abilities and equipment, kinda like a Dark Souls. I'm not sure that not preordering actually locks you out of any actual gameplay.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Mordja posted:

It's not great but it looks like classes just define your starting abilities and equipment, kinda like a Dark Souls. I'm not sure that not preordering actually locks you out of any actual gameplay.

The devs have straight up said that it doesn't lock you out of any gameplay, and anyone can find the gear and grab the abilities through playing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dilber posted:

The devs have straight up said that it doesn't lock you out of any gameplay, and anyone can find the gear and grab the abilities through playing.
Ah OK I was wondering if the specific equipment/cosmetics of that particular class would be locked but I guess not even that.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

There's a really long Q&A that's been on-going! That one was one of the things asked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKbFouts39I

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dilber posted:

That's great to hear. Anything else would be insane.

This game looks like a lot of the fun but weird PS2 games I'd pick up as a kid with my meager earnings. Yeah, I'll spend $60 on this, which seems like a fairly large gamble but I don't think video games are weird enough anymore.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Inzombiac posted:

This game looks like a lot of the fun but weird PS2 games I'd pick up as a kid with my meager earnings. Yeah, I'll spend $60 on this, which seems like a fairly large gamble but I don't think video games are weird enough anymore.
Huh, speaking of, it's $60 Canadian as well, that's not something you see a lot.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mordja posted:

tbf pre-release reviews are pretty much a thing of the past

Yeah, I can't remember the last time reviews dropped for a game any significant amount of time before the release date.

Not having reviews this early says nothing either way. :shrug:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Pre-release reviews that drop 24-48hrs prior to release are often more advertisements than anything of real substance. Games that are not great often do not have them, take from that what you will. The post-release reviews, especially ones that come a week or so out, are certainly where the bread is at.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Dilber posted:

Additionally, it'll be purchasable DLC later on, so at worst, it's essentially a discount if you preorder.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Will you be able to turn off the jarring comic book text popups?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Well I caved and pre-ordered at DLGamer. At least I think I did, I was pretty drunk so I gotta find the emails.

Let's hope it's at least decent! Honestly it was mainly the art style and the ambitious gameplay elements that made me want to get in on the ground floor.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Anyone buying this for the art style is a furry, sorry them's the rules

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im playing it for the articles

Play
Apr 25, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

Anyone buying this for the art style is a furry, sorry them's the rules

My worst fear, realized!

Really though I more mean the environments, enemies, and character movement. There's something kinda weird looking about the movement but I like it all the same

Also, I checked and I did indeed purchase it that wasn't a drunken fever dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

If by "Art Style" you mean, characters and places with some actual colour and big goofy monsters as opposed to the same boring drab grey post apoc world with the same boring grey drab zombies and the same grey boring drab city environments as a whole host of other games... yes I bought this for the art style.