Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

AirRaid posted:

If by "Art Style" you mean, characters and places with some actual colour and big goofy monsters as opposed to the same boring drab grey post apoc world with the same boring grey drab zombies and the same grey boring drab city environments as a whole host of other games... yes I bought this for the art style.

Yeah, that's a big draw for me.
Fighting monstrous stuffed animals will always be cooler than big lizard with spikes and fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Play posted:

My worst fear, realized!

Really though I more mean the environments, enemies, and character movement. There's something kinda weird looking about the movement but I like it all the same

Also, I checked and I did indeed purchase it that wasn't a drunken fever dream

I think a poster here or in a different thread spotted this earlier. The player character travels way further and faster than their accompanying pace would dictate. Like, they’re taking fairly slow small steps but traveling a football field length in no time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the traversal and combat seem inspired by wuxia. except with heavy artillery

gujian 3 definitely had the same super-zippy running speed and a similar combat tempo

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This entire game reminds me of some old tabletop game setting, that one also was some post apocalyptic thingy with raccoon-type people in it. I think it may have been "Gamma World", but it could have been somthing more specific.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 19, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Blind Rasputin posted:

I think a poster here or in a different thread spotted this earlier. The player character travels way further and faster than their accompanying pace would dictate. Like, they’re taking fairly slow small steps but traveling a football field length in no time.

There's a funny quirk in Guild Wars 2 like this.
Every character has to have the same base running speed to the giants and the cat demon people move just as fast as the little goblins but look like they go much, much slower.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Tombot posted:

This entire game reminds me of some old tabletop game setting, that one also was some post apocalyptic thingy with raccoon-type people in it. I think it may have been "Gamma World", but it could have been somthing more specific.

Perhaps Mutant

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

its been forever since conan did a clueless gamer but he did one for biomutant with jb smoove yesterday...ofc they gave him a narrative story segment to play which conan hates lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JndG6WAtkx0

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I love Conan but his gross impatience is kinda grating now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

AirRaid posted:

If by "Art Style" you mean, characters and places with some actual colour and big goofy monsters as opposed to the same boring drab grey post apoc world with the same boring grey drab zombies and the same grey boring drab city environments as a whole host of other games... yes I bought this for the art style.

nailed it

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah, I'm sure it has to be like that to make the combat work. There's a magnetic quality there. I actually don't mind at all, though.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The way I see it, the absolute floor level for this game is that it's aggressively mediocre like Outriders and I still enjoy the gameplay and art design enough to merit the $45 I paid for it on GMG. It's nothing but upside from there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, if it's a middling game that's kinda fun to goof around in, I won't regret the purchase.

Just Cause is one of my favorite series just because messing around is good for dozens of hours, shallow though it may be.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm going to boldly say that this game will actually be good, you may now all gasp

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm going to boldly say that this game will actually be good, you may now all gasp

*inhales sharply*

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Memnaelar posted:

The way I see it, the absolute floor level for this game is that it's aggressively mediocre like Outriders and I still enjoy the gameplay and art design enough to merit the $45 I paid for it on GMG. It's nothing but upside from there.

Yeah my only concern now is that an open world game made by a small studio might be a bit buggy.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

been watching some stream of biomutant and there is a wild amount of exposition

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is there even any dialogue, or does the narrator do all the talking?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oxxidation posted:

is there even any dialogue, or does the narrator do all the talking?

It's all done by the narrator, which is a wild choice. Kept down on costs, for sure and I hope it works.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I can’t tell if this is good, or was meant to be a kid’s game. A lot of people in twitch chat are saying it’s basically a Genshin Impact reskin. I’ve never played that, so I don’t know.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

I can’t tell if this is good, or was meant to be a kid’s game. A lot of people in twitch chat are saying it’s basically a Genshin Impact reskin. I’ve never played that, so I don’t know.

I mean, a Genshin Impact minus the gacha sounds stellar. Hell I like Genshin Impact with the gacha, so this sounds great.

I'm still waiting a week before buying this, though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Blind Rasputin posted:

What the...

Genshin doesn't has modular weapons or unique traversal stuff.

Unless they mean "both are colorful, open world action games."
I mean, Genshin is pretty great so I'm not upset.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is absolutely a game made for middle schoolers, but thats not mutually exclusive with being good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://youtu.be/ksaJ91HdQsQ

This is a pretty good rundown of how the classes work and what it means that the mercenary class is locked behind a preorder or dlc purchase;

Tl;dw:

Every class gets 1-2 starting perks and has access to 5 more “class perks” the vast majority of these are exclusively available as class perks (though a few are available to literally any character). Some class perks are available to 2 or 3 different classes. Others are available to only one class exclusively.

The preorder class, the Mercenary, specifically, only has class perks that are shared with other classes - but it is a unique mix of abilities that you won’t get together any other way and provides for basically the best possible melee damage build (based on class abilities) if you care about that.

The other notable class stuff:

Deadeye gets the single best gun talent in the game for using anything other than a pistol. If you like guns, go deadeye ignore the commando.

Commando starts with an assault rifle but that’s a trap long term. Their gimmick is basically guns, like the deadeye, but with less specialization so you can do pistols. Seems bad.

Sentinel is your 2h melee/bruiser class with mostly defensive perks
Saboteur is your dual wield melee class without the preorder bonus; seems fine.

N.b. Saboteur and Mercenary get dual wield for free but every class can get it.

Psi freak is the caster type. They start with a unique to them spell that will be their main attack for a lot of the game I guess, and their perk list is all +ability damage stuff that is unique to them.

So, to clarify a bit:

Class is not just an equipment load out. It matters, and there is exclusive stuff to each class. However, in the context of all of the choices you can make to build your character class is mostly a smaller factor.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Huh, alright. Hopefully replayability is moderately high so doing it again with a different class is worthwhile.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
After watching Lirik play this game for a few hours ... it does not seem great to me. The extremely long tutorial certainly isn't good, but the general vibe is more Ubisoft drudgefest than BOTW childlike joy of gaming. It might get better once you're past that point, but it's certainly not something I'm interested in day 1 at this point.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I fuckin can't get enough ubisoft games tbh so I'm more hyped now than ever

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think I'll be happy with it as long as the combat is difficult/fun and there is a sense of discovery. Hard to tell from the clips how hard the combat is but if it's easy hopefully there is a difficulty slider to make it more challenging.

I don't think the story will be anything to write home about, and I don't care. Just give me some fun combat and some cool things to discover on the map. Bonus if there is cool traversal and the character creator is interesting, which it does look to be.

Play fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 21, 2021

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

What I got from this video was is that

Mercenary(pre order only) = Melee
Dead Eye = Ranged (or just pick it anways because it's the only way to get double damage with two handed guns)
Psi-freak = Magic

and don't bother with the other classes. Or just seriously pick dead eye no matter what your build unless you're doing some no guns gimmick.

I love/hate that stats are tied to appearance so I'll probably just make my critter look cool stats be damned

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That perk is so wildly, comically out of line with the others it makes me genuinely worry for the overall balance of the game, if the devs think something like that being exclusive to one class is acceptable.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm going full big-brain psifreak no matter how stupid it looks.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://gamerant.com/biomutant-next-gen-performance-details-controversy/

super disappointing this game is optimized for last generation

https://twitter.com/THQNordic/status/1395427690392563716

https://twitter.com/THQNordic/status/1395427865932541954

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Hopin that 3 dollar preorder holds

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

https://gamerant.com/biomutant-next-gen-performance-details-controversy/

super disappointing this game is optimized for last generation

It's been in development for like six years, I wouldn't have expected anything else.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

There’s a 60 FPS/30 FPS cap toggle on Series S, folks have shown video of it in the wild. It’s basically just running in BC mode and it sticks at around 60 on Series S with dips (and seems pretty much locked on X). Lower resolution on Series S, too, of course.

The PS5 situation is the way it is because, similarly, they’re running it in PS4 Pro BC mode.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

are people seriously getting pissed off that this game, which was originally supposed to release like a year before current gen consoles came out, isnt optimized for ps5

Orv
May 4, 2011
Never let the stupid poo poo gamers will convince themselves of being a thing surprise you.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If game does hit an arbitrary numbers point that I determined, it is an utter failure. That's rational because I don't make games, therefore I know best.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

also, a note about the mercenary class DLC: Experiment 101 have made it clear that it will be available for purchase Day 1 as a separate DLC on digital storefronts, but preordering gets you it for free.

also i believe if you buy a physical copy of the game you get the DLC regardless of whether its a pre-order or not

still sucks but its not exclusive to pre orders at least, I assume there are a lot of people who are waiting for post-launch reviews and opinions to drop before taking the plunge

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Game looks neat.

Don't pre-order video games.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Prawned posted:

Game looks neat.

...unless theres a pricing error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Prawned posted:

Game looks neat.

Preorder 24 hours before release if you’ve made up your mind for a neat freebie.