Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I don't use dark mode but I tried it out to take a look, LAB did a great job with it.

Quotey posted:

Why a patreon instead of something on forum? IDK how big their cut is but they’re also made to charge VAT in the uk for some stupid reason.

lol look at the processing fee the SA card processor is charging, it's actually more than patreon's basic tier and nearly as much as patreon pro. I assume SA gets charged out the wazoo due to Seraph and Dare doing chargebacks or something.

is the VAT thing on patreon collected on the UK creators, or the UK users who are putting in money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Also while it is a horrifying alt-timeline to consider I do lol at the thought of what the photoshop response would have been if Lowtax or somebody else with backend access fatfingered the site into oblivion. YOU BLEW IT UP! YOU MANIACS!!

would have been hilarious except the part where lowtax probably would have spun it as "the forums don't make enough money to afford a backup, please donate more!" and then bought cookies with the proceeds

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ratjaculation posted:

Keep them on, pay them or keep the app dev open, they're clearly great at what they do. Personally I do 99% of my SA browsing on the app, I imagine I'm not alone, so monetising the existing forum features in it would be good and you could use that to help the devs*

*obviously usage stats are a guess, and I know nothing about coding, monetising, apps or the internet. I just want an excuse to never use a browser.

There are 2 different SA phone apps, and both are open-source projects with a bunch of contributors. Neither of them ask for donations, probably because splitting it between the people working on them is more trouble than it's worth.

Also adding the ability to buy forums stuff through the apple/google store means giving 30% of everything to apple/google, gently caress that noise.

Ambaire posted:

e. *takes a second to actually think about the posts above* Is that a 'special' user id that shows the profile of whoever clicks that?
hint: click your own profile button below one of your posts and note the id number

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ratjaculation posted:

I thought Google Pay was just your card but through your phone for contactless? Are Google taking 30% every time I buy lube from the supermarket?

that's google pay, not the app store

if you put an app in the app store that sells in-app stuff*, google & apple want their cut

*(this is a flexible definition that really comes down to "whoever we can bully money out of")

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It really did make the forum super fuckin fast the month it was turned on.

(Oh hey, regular maintenance by people who know what they're doing also makes the forums a lot faster? And doesn't cost $2k a month? Wow, imagine that!)