Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Holy gently caress, dark mode is here and it's actually good. Love the white/blue on midnight blue (purple?) choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

nine-gear crow posted:

Someone actually proposed a literal Goon Senate to solve "the Problem of Lowtax" and was 100% not joking serious about it.

Goons.

sebmojo posted:

Please find that post I wish to lol at it anew

Found it, I think. Although it's from August 2019, so maybe not?

Byolante posted:

The logical starting point would be a representative democracy to produce the mods, then the mods would create what is essentially a cabinet for the admins. Regardless of where you fall currently there is a a serious concentration of the admin and mod team being drawn from a single subforum which leads to blind spots in the ability to keep track of whats actually happening on the forum.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ratjaculation posted:

Make Awful app official and add store features to it using Google Pay/Apple Pay

Wait is this a suggestions thread?

Also, make this goon a mod

gently caress no. I don't want that responsibility.

e. *takes a second to actually think about the posts above* Is that a 'special' user id that shows the profile of whoever clicks that?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 26, 2021

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I was randomly messing around with the perpage url tag just now, and found out that I can set any number from 1 to 40 (31 posts per page? no problem. 1 post per page? also works.), but it ignores anything over 40. Why is that?

As an aside, with less than 40, it's hilarious seeing posts talking about 'page sniping' halfway down the page. I've never understood why some goons feel those posts are extra special.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Torrannor posted:

That's a terrible page snipe, and it's right to point out to folks that if they somehow landed on the next page without seeing the previous page's post, they ought to go back and read it.

Yeah, if someone was totally new to these forums and didn't know how they worked. It's just a natural consequence of that working that ~2.5% of all posts will be the first one on a new page. If a new page post doesn't make sense out of context, I take it as 'go back a page, hit End' to see if there was relevance there.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The whole problem would be nicely solved if there was some alternative way to view these forums. Maybe scrolling up on a new page could somehow load posts from the last page?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Chadzok posted:

imo just add all new posts to one giant thread that auto-loads as you scroll down. add thread star ratings to each post and then elevate the posts by rating. i guess add 'sub-posts' so you can reply to particular posts, where it's relevant. probably should rank those by rating too

No, gently caress Reddit. Somethingawful's 'every post is equally important' is rather nice.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Youth Decay posted:

DEAR JEFFREY,

I really don't like the red text staring at me on the top of the page and the Donate on Patreon button forcing an extra line up on the purchase bar thingy please fix tia

What red text?

I used uBlock Origin's element picker mode to hide the offenders.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

H110Hawk posted:

What is the forums purchase or patreon amount to disable darkmode for specific users, or site wide? Like I'm in for :10bux: to turn it off for someone for a month.

I don't give a poo poo about titles or avatars because those can be disabled in the options. Suggesting actively loving with other users, though? Shame on you.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Meanwhile, I have a browser tab permanently dedicated to Bookmarked Threads and just middle click all the last read posts to open them in new tabs. It's been months since I last clicked the stuff at the top or bottom.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'd like to thank whoever changed the no new private messages text from "Nobody likes you" to just "You don't have any new private messages....yet."

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

The new purple for when you're quoted in dark mode is way better than the blue was, very good change

Yeah, this is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Geemer posted:

While I don't use Dark Mode and think goons who do should come out of their black caves and into the light, what about adding a Bark Mode?

I'll leave it up to you if that means more dogs or rendering the forums on the skin of trees.

No thanks, I like being able to save power by keeping my monitors dimmer and also not having all those reflections to deal with. Both of my monitors are very glossy.