Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Time for another update on the forums, financial and otherwise.

Income:
January 2021:
Raw store revenue: $8,922.35
Processing fees: $627.44
Hosting cost: $1,156.97

February 2021:
Raw store revenue: $6,301.55
Processing fees: $480.14
Hosting cost: $1,026.24

March 2021:
Raw store revenue: $6,394.30
Processing fees: $478.02
Hosting cost: $1,096.97

7%+ for processing fees? Holy cow, man, you're getting ROBBED. I don't know who you're using for payment processing, but there's no reason you should be paying more than 3%. Many processors don't even charge a percentage and just charge 25 cents per credit card transaction. Your processing fees are double what they should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It could be better certainly but it's never that good - often it's "interchange + 25 cents" where interchange is the passed through cost charged but the credit card company itself. Stripe is 2.9% + 30 cents with no interchange, which I think would be a small improvement. The real thing would be more payment method.

I started looking at a few a bit ago. Square actually upped their rate from when I used them last. They're 2.9% plus 30 cents for api based transactions which ours certainly will be. I think you can accept ETF payments and perhaps even crypto that way, as well.

Check with some major banks as well. BOFA used to call me often when I owned my food truck and offer me 0%+30 cents per. I stuck with square, though, because it was still just flat 2.7% for me which came out slightly cheaper per transaction. If my average transaction was higher it would have been worthwhile.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So was Lowtax just pocketing the difference between the costs and revenue?

I should start a dead comedy forum...

Yes including whatever he got from ad revenue and the patreon. If you haven’t noticed, jeff stopped all ads except goon purchased ones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zil posted:

Empty quoting is our version of a like.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It works in the lower right also - I never use it but it's cool that it's there. I actually had no idea there was a lower-left version until this post.

That's a cloudfare feature added by lowtax when he turned on a bunch of cloudfare stuff years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

astral posted:

You're thinking of the gigantic obnoxious one that was there for a while. The little ones in the corners are added by forums JS.

I remember the annoying social media buttons as well. I thought they were added at the same time as the up arrows. Thanks for the info!