Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The Neolithic period, also known as the younger stone age, is a period of history when people around the world began to farm instead of being hunter gatherers, in fact there are many centers of plant and animal domestication around the world. A sedentary lifestyle and calorie surplus (sounds familiar?) allowed for increased fertility (doesn't sound familiar), which enabled a population explosion. Farming was spread with farmers, experts tend to claim nowadays, rather than hunter gatherers being somehow persuaded to give up their hunter gatherer lifestyles in favor of farming. In fact the earliest farmers were much unhealthier than the hunter gatherers and had shorter lifespans, despite the amazing population growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Not much. What's Neolithic agricultural population explosion with you?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I took a megalithic poo poo this morning

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Judging by some pictures i've seen, neolithic people were hella horny and had huge boners at all times, which is probably why they died out.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The Neolithic in the fertile crescent, the home of cereals such as wheat, rye and barley, is sometimes divided into such periods as the Pre-Pottery Neolithic A (PPNA) and the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B (PPNB). Domesticating grains and animals took many thousands of years, during which people in the region were cultivating wild cereals without necessarily giving a thought to domesticating either the plants or animals for a long time. At some point people seem to have come up with the idea to hem in the ancestors of modern sheep and goats to secure a steady supply of meat, in several places in modern-day Turkey, and eventually domestic plants and animals became part of the "neolithic package" that farmers brought with them to colonize new regions, like they did Europe approximately 8000 years ago, a migration that has been thoroughly studied.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whoa fella, easy on the n word. :yikes:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Imagine having to sell your neighbors on the usefulness of 'a bowl'.

"Nah man, we're good."
No look, you can put stuff in there.
"...I dunno."
It stays right in there, check it!
"Seems expensive."
We haven't invented currency or trade yet, you just make something in this shape and put things in it.
"You lost me."

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like if everyone took stupid/know nothing pills it would probably take people like 30 or 40 years to figure out how to farm and build houses. :shrug:

Grumblepuff
Dec 29, 2018

You think you taught me a lesson, babe
Betcha think you "got through to me"
No one gets through here anymore
Right
At what point in this era was Queens of the Stone Age formed?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The first farmers in Europe seem to have had limited interactions with the native hunter-gatherer population, most likely because the latter was very small after a devastating period of climate change, and they also preferred to live in different biomes. Only after the farmers had already settled most of Europe, about 1000 years after the farming lifestyle had first arrived in this part of the world, we find much evidence of contact between European hunter-gatherers and farmers.

Mooey Cow posted:

Judging by some pictures i've seen, neolithic people were hella horny and had huge boners at all times, which is probably why they died out.

I like your avatar, a cow. Cows were most likely domesticated in one place only at first, judging from genetic evidence, unlike sheep and goats whose wild ancestors were captured and kept in pens on a wider scale. Once cattle was brought into new lands by colonizing farmers they would sometimes breed with wild bovines in the region such as the European aurochs. Cattle was important not just for meat but also dairy, for which there's early evidence, and for manuring fields of grain.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

haha cool like in stardew valley

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What are you trying to tell me? That I can farm animals to hunt?

No, Neolithic. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Look at this moron.

He's 11,000 years old.
Just look at him.

He's not hunting or farming. Just holding two pine cones or something like a drat moron. What a moron.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Ancient goon turned on by snake

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Look here's DJ Owltits here to regale you with the hot new hit "Thunk".

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Mooey Cow posted:

I fully believe with all of my heart that this a representation of the biggest piss this ancient person took. Did he draw it to show his friends? So that people would remember his mega-piss after he died? Was he just poo poo posting? These are the real questions.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

This is clearly a lamia

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

*extremely sweaty and embarrassed archeologist voice* uhhhh that's actually a pestle

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Didn't evolve lactose tolerance before domesticating livestock.

making GBS threads my brains out while dying of tuberculosis AMA

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
imagine how sad the grocery store was back then, your options is basically two lovely grains and a bunch of random stuff ground up and you hoped it wasnt dirt and rocks

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Khanstant posted:

imagine how sad the grocery store was back then, your options is basically two lovely grains and a bunch of random stuff ground up and you hoped it wasnt dirt and rocks

Akshually,

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
eating grain for dinner again while your hunter gatherer cousin is out eating fire roasted centaur and this ancient plant that gets them high and tastes like secrets and doesnt exist anymore

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

the dark side flintstones never showed was that as soon as some rear end in a top hat invented farming, they pretty much immediately also invented slavery. unless fred owned the granary and farms and poo poo, he was probably lucky to afford some grain to feed his family, let alone the bigass extinct animal ribs

If you ever get a time machine, it's your duty to go back in time and punch the first evil jerk who decided to keep too much grain for themselves while seeing how far they can leverage that over people who ain't enough

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Why is a bear driving the car behind Fred

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Grevling posted:

I like your avatar, a cow. Cows were most likely domesticated in one place only at first, judging from genetic evidence, unlike sheep and goats whose wild ancestors were captured and kept in pens on a wider scale. Once cattle was brought into new lands by colonizing farmers they would sometimes breed with wild bovines in the region such as the European aurochs. Cattle was important not just for meat but also dairy, for which there's early evidence, and for manuring fields of grain.

Nah there were atleast two domestication events for cows, one in the near east and one in Pakistan. Possibly a third in Africa.

Mooey Cow posted:

That's a huge cum. Didn't you read the part about increased fertility?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

I fully believe with all of my heart that this a representation of the biggest piss this ancient person took. Did he draw it to show his friends? So that people would remember his mega-piss after he died? Was he just poo poo posting? These are the real questions.

imo what we now know as shitposting has been a vital aspect of the human experience ever since the first perverts artists figured out how to make marks on surfaces. like, the earliest known image carved into rock (iirc) is of a kneeling stick figure with an apparent erection bigger than its forearm

so whenever one of our little planetary rovers touches down somewhere and accidentally draws a cock with its tracks, that’s just part of our heritage as a species :unsmith:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Beef City posted:

Why is a bear driving the car behind Fred

That's the Brown Manual Wagon Bear, Ursus Parktos

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I wish I had met a Sheila Na Gig

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

How big were pigs balls during the neolithic

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Before he was tamed, the megalopig roamed the Earth, his testicles like great mountains

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Big Beef City posted:

Look at this moron.

He's 11,000 years old.
Just look at him.

He's not hunting or farming. Just holding two pine cones or something like a drat moron. What a moron.

That's a neolithic balldo

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Weka posted:

Shooting one big rope of cum.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Beef City posted:

Look at this moron.

He's 11,000 years old.
Just look at him.

Maybe pinecones taste good to him, don’t be so quick to judge! :v:

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I notice somebody seems to have attached a flared base to the statuette of the pinecone clutching moron.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
OP I got a “Neolithic package” for you right here

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Weka posted:

Nah there were atleast two domestication events for cows, one in the near east and one in Pakistan. Possibly a third in Africa.

Weka posted:

Yeah but for taurine cattle like in his avatar from what I've read they were originally bred from a very small population, then interbred with closely related species like the European aurochs at different points later on. Zebu, yak, gaur etc. I don't know anything about.

The extra fertility was mainly in women, so I don't know if early farmers necessarily came harder than hunter-gatherers.

That rock carving looks like bronze age Scandinavian rock carvings so it might be that. Maybe it's an early version of the myth of Thor fishing the Midgard serpent?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
If it's from the bronze age how come it's carved into stone and not bronze? Checkmate liberals!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
An interesting fact is that during the Neolithic or new rock period, dimetrodon used to keep mans as pets. This was the only tome period where this occurred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nu lithic period sucks, why can't we just go to old school lithic