Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Hi, I've never seen this series of books mentioned here but I figure GBS could help me decide which Russian Criminal Tattoo to get before the summer starts and I am expected to take off my top. There are three books in the series and they are published by a company called Fuel, not to be confused with the band Fuel.

The illustrator is Siberian and is named Danzig but he is not Glenn Danzig of Portlandia fame. I think and he originally sketched the tattoos he saw as a hobby, in secret and then the KGB found out and instead of being mad like he expected, they asked him to continue catalogue the tattoos and decipher the meaning behind them. I think this stuff is pretty interesting. He also has a book that's basically illustrations of things describe in The Gulag Archipelago and, um, there's a lot of brutal drawings in that book.

Here's a bear

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
here is another bear

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The Moscow Kosomol Whores Gang

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
another polar bear picture please

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
A little bit of advice

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The Vor V Zakone tattoos are pretty crazy

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Uncle Joe

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I think the number of domes in depictions of churches usually references terms served or something like that.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
This one indicates a squealer and would have been forcibly applied.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i got one of these as my only tattoo even though im not russian.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Cats represent legitimate thieves. This would have been on a married person whose partner was also a criminal by trade. I think it is romantic.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
If you can't do the gulag
don't.. steal the.. yule log?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Sorry to doxx yr mom but someone in the gulag has a tattoo of her

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Brezhnev with a funky new doo

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

i got one of these as my only tattoo even though im not russian.

Really? What is it? Right now I only have plus and minus on both sides of my wrists stigmata style but I got a new second job and will have disposable income for the first time in 3 years soon so I want to get something cool but not horribly outlandish. I am not Russian.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe you can add a few cool Japanese words too, they make you look so cool and worldly.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kntfkr posted:

Cats represent legitimate thieves. This would have been on a married person whose partner was also a criminal by trade. I think it is romantic.

that's awesome

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

kntfkr posted:

Really? What is it? Right now I only have plus and minus on both sides of my wrists stigmata style but I got a new second job and will have disposable income for the first time in 3 years soon so I want to get something cool but not horribly outlandish. I am not Russian.

A goatse around your navel or butthole

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

kntfkr posted:

Hi, I've never seen this series of books mentioned here but I figure GBS could help me decide which Russian Criminal Tattoo to get before the summer starts and I am expected to take off my top. There are three books in the series and they are published by a company called Fuel, not to be confused with the band Fuel.

The illustrator is Siberian and is named Danzig but he is not Glenn Danzig of Portlandia fame. I think and he originally sketched the tattoos he saw as a hobby, in secret and then the KGB found out and instead of being mad like he expected, they asked him to continue catalogue the tattoos and decipher the meaning behind them. I think this stuff is pretty interesting. He also has a book that's basically illustrations of things describe in The Gulag Archipelago and, um, there's a lot of brutal drawings in that book.

Here's a bear

I have those!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Russian Criminal Tattoo Encyclopaedia (vols. 1-3)

Not sure which one you should get tattoed, op. Why not all of them?

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I find this a fascinating subject, OP. I hope this thread goes places. Also, If you haven't seen it watch Eastern Promises.

The evolution of a russian gangster:

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I found a treasure trove of stuff right here:

http://fuel-design.com/russian-criminal-tattoo-archive/drawings/drawing-1/

Many of the images aren't just NSFW but quite explicit.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Dang I didn’t know there were 3 of those I got the original one when it came out, still have it.

Get some sick rear end vory v zakone tats and show them off to all the Russians you meet!

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
iirc there's a pretty cool one of a tiger brandishing a pistol that I would consider getting, if I wasn't worried about getting stabbed outside a kebab shop

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

STABASS posted:

iirc there's a pretty cool one of a tiger brandishing a pistol that I would consider getting, if I wasn't worried about getting stabbed outside a kebab shop

Username/post combo.

The Mark of Cain is available on Youtube, in case anyone hasn't seen it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Can you post a full picture of the one on the next page from the bear we see here?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

kntfkr posted:

He also has a book that's basically illustrations of things describe in The Gulag Archipelago and, um, there's a lot of brutal drawings in that book.

Oh yeah! I remember that thread, that's the one that shows in graphic detail what daily life was like in one of those camps right? Specifically one where much of the day-to-day management was left in the hands of the criminal gangs. Anyone have a link to pictures from that one?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm pretty sure this is my favorite.

"The Scary Dicks of the Land of Fools"

on the dicks "Everything for the People".

edit: You know. I think spending much of your life in prison fucks with your head. Descriptions copied from the link to the archive posted further above.

left shoulder:
Sweet freedom

Made in the USSR [sign of the State Quality Mark]

center:
God save [me]!

right shoulder:
Man is wolf to man

left arm:
Ust Kut [town in Irkutsk]

left forearm:
Gentlemen Communist-Satanists, drat you for my hungry childhood!

right arm:
LOM acronym meaning 'I love brave men'.

right forearm:
My favorite idol: Adolf Ivanovich Hitler

under left breast:
The CPSU has always thought using its shitter

center star:
I am a slave of the MVD

below:
Decree of PVS [Polyvinyl Alchol, Ethanol] from 04.06.1947 'Tayshetlag'

under belly button:
Ah, thank you Gorbachev and Raisa personally - we've stopped pissing and making GBS threads in the zone, we feel great!

above genitals:
I need the KPSS like my c*** needs an alarm clock

hips:
USSR / Russia land of slaves

Country of fools and morons
the fleecing parasites of the Committee, forgotten by God

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 25, 2021

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

Sorry to doxx yr mom but someone in the gulag has a tattoo of her

drat, I guess it's finally time to get my first tattoo. I don't know what it means but look at those rockin' tits

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Smugworth posted:

drat, I guess it's finally time to get my first tattoo. I don't know what it means but look at those rockin' tits

Website says it's the tattoo of a "passive homosexual".

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

what the heck man :saddowns:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I gather all the prisoners were capitalists and subsequently deserved their terms

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Don't you know, people imprisoned for long terms always have the right opinion on the government. That's why I always go to the Aryan brotherhood for my political opinions :haw:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That link to the publisher's website with some of the pictures from the book actually mentions in alot of cases who had the tattoo and what they know about that person's history (though often enough you're looking just at records, because these tattoos were recorded at the morgue when the person died).
Alot of repeat offenders, many had been in juvenile institutions before going into correctional labor (many of these seem to be from the gulags and there's a connection to that earlier series mentioned that the author did of "pictures from the gulags"), many were arrested for homelessness (particularly the women), several were the children of people who had been in the gulags or were executed during the 30s and 40s. If you weren't a hardened criminal before you entered the prison system you would probably become one (not unlike many other prison systems), a common refrain seems to be "only death/a bullet will reform me".

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 24, 2021

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Randarkman posted:

That link to the publisher's website with some of the pictures from the book actually mentions in alot of cases who had the tattoo and what they know about that person's history (though often enough you're looking just at records, because these tattoos were recorded at the morgue when the person died).
Alot of repeat offenders, many had been in juvenile institutions before going into correctional labor (many of these seem to be from the gulags and there's a connection to that earlier series mentioned that the author did of "pictures from the gulags"), many were arrested for homelessness (particularly the women), several were the children of people who had been in the gulags or been executed during the 30s and 40s. If you weren't a hardened criminal before you entered the prison system you would probably become one (not unlike many other prison systems), a common refarin seems to be "only death/a bullet will reform me".

It's cool stuff, it was one of the worst most vicious police states in history, so there was a whole hidden criminal culture from the people the police had criminalized.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Get that entire image done as a backpiece

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

kntfkr posted:

Brezhnev with a funky new doo

This is just a Shadowrun character.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
These tattoos are cool as gently caress but I bet they’d be impressed by my naruto tat in those prisons

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Do it ironically posted:

These tattoos are cool as gently caress but I bet they’d be impressed by my naruto tat in those prisons

Some of them appear to be anime "otaku," aka fans, such as this young woman:

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ah I see she’s a woman of culture as well

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Will anime know no bounds