Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Dang I didn’t know there were 3 of those I got the original one when it came out, still have it.

Get some sick rear end vory v zakone tats and show them off to all the Russians you meet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Randarkman posted:

That link to the publisher's website with some of the pictures from the book actually mentions in alot of cases who had the tattoo and what they know about that person's history (though often enough you're looking just at records, because these tattoos were recorded at the morgue when the person died).
Alot of repeat offenders, many had been in juvenile institutions before going into correctional labor (many of these seem to be from the gulags and there's a connection to that earlier series mentioned that the author did of "pictures from the gulags"), many were arrested for homelessness (particularly the women), several were the children of people who had been in the gulags or been executed during the 30s and 40s. If you weren't a hardened criminal before you entered the prison system you would probably become one (not unlike many other prison systems), a common refarin seems to be "only death/a bullet will reform me".

It's cool stuff, it was one of the worst most vicious police states in history, so there was a whole hidden criminal culture from the people the police had criminalized.