Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

groupies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

also does he have a home?

BONGHITZ fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 26, 2021

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no. there are many stories of people inviting him over for a conference and then he refuses to leave for like a month until he secures another place to squat

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Truman Peyote posted:

nobody who eats chinese food could be a bigot

i used to work with a guy who would order "ch*nk food" for lunch and ask if i wanted to join the order. i always declined. primarily cuz this was the midwest and midwest chinese food is usually awful but also the racism.

in the early 2000's ACM at my tiny university invited stallman to come speak and i don't remember anything other than he made the gnu/linux point repeatedly in his presentation. presumably he + the organizers went out to the only chinese food restaurant in town afterwards. i probably went home and ate veggies and hummus or something who knows.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the first date i ever went on was to a chinese restaurant. makes you think

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

fart simpson posted:

the first date i ever went on was to a chinese restaurant. makes you think

was it with rms

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
that seems cool, op

rms would be interesting to talk to imho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that seems cool, op

i feel like all the interesting things rms has to say have already been said

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

someone should ask "how does it feel to piss your life away on a tantrum over a printer driver?"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i wish...

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I attended a talk RMS gave at UW several years ago (I wasn't a student it was just the venue). It was extremely cringy, surface level and awkward. Naturally there wasn't any nuance to anything and the talk easily could have been written 20 years ago, no hot takes on modern issues etc. New grads shouldn't work for Apple, Microsoft, whoever because they hate freedom, they should all live in an office provided by MIT free of charge.

I especially remember him awkwardly auctioning off some GNU plushy to try and raise money.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

ADINSX posted:

I attended a talk RMS gave at UW several years ago (I wasn't a student it was just the venue). It was extremely cringy, surface level and awkward. Naturally there wasn't any nuance to anything and the talk easily could have been written 20 years ago, no hot takes on modern issues etc. New grads shouldn't work for Apple, Microsoft, whoever because they hate freedom, they should all live in an office provided by MIT free of charge.

I especially remember him awkwardly auctioning off some GNU plushy to try and raise money.

$50 for this adorrrrable gnu that needs a hoooome

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Nobody Interesting posted:

$50 for this adorrrrable gnu that needs a hoooome

thats exactly what he said and exactly the way he said it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

was the pushy actually rms? sounds like a way to hustle up a free couch

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

for all I know it was a package deal, someone in our session paid 100 dollars to find out

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Free (as in accomodation)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that seems cool, op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj02_UeUnGQ&t=1737s

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
has anyone asked rms how it feels to be gnunemployed?

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

he is a nice guy to hang around with and you quickly figure out how to stop him from going on controversial tangents.

as problematic as this guy is i think it was pretty cool to get to spend so much time with him.

Please do not attempt to humanize rms

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

i will not attempt, i will succeed

he is an unfortunate sperg who will never know love or true happiness :smith:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

ADINSX posted:

thats exactly what he said and exactly the way he said it

he'd sometimes get stuck and repeat it over and over again, but he'd be talking about a cup instead of a plush

adooooorable cup sounded weirder

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rms was largely right about a lot of things wrt to his areas of expertise (computers, and the narrow band of politics around them) and wildly out of his depth about virtually every other possible facet of life on planet earth.

I agree with the sad nerd who was never wanted and was never forced to grow up assessment.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i would wager its very frustrating to see your lifes work - retaining the freedom of software from commerical interests - get hijacked as the primary shared development model for megacorporations like apple, facebook and google.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

"retaining the freedom of software from commerical interests" i think is a bit of a conflation. for rms there's nothing that says free software cannot also be commercial, he'd be cool with windows if it was distributed under GPL, i mean he actually gave a talk at Redmond fairly recently about that kind of thing. software absolutely needs to have a place in the commercial space, he's not so short sighted as to not realise that

honestly i think for him the more frustrating thing is hearing people say "open source" interchangeably with "free software", because sperg.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

oh and he absolutely snaps at you like a bolt of lightning if you say "open source" or "intellectual property" or "i use linux"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"retaining the freedom of software from commerical interests" i think is a bit of a conflation

yeah i dont wanna get into the weeds on this but sure. What I'm tryin to say here is that he has a big problem with non-gpl licenses and that's all anyone uses and I can imagine that this feels like someone hijacked your lifes work after you did all the heavy lifting.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

alright i getcha, i actually care about the free software thing so sometimes i forget i'm in yospos

at the same time though, i think he does look at say, android phones, and sheds a silent tear of pride...."i made this"

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
using a laptop built by slave labor because it has a free bios is the most rms thing ever

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

alright i getcha, i actually care about the free software thing so sometimes i forget i'm in yospos

so do i so here's my manifesto about it https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h__zP17eMoSXntHq6Jo7nKxRB8DoCOcVZ794Qd4LEA4/edit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

I can imagine that this feels like someone hijacked your lifes work after you did all the heavy lifting.

that happens to literally everyone on the planet who has ever had a boss or worked for a corporation. everyone just goes to the bar and gets over it. rms is the only guy who won't loving shut up about it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

that happens to literally everyone on the planet who has ever had a boss or worked for a corporation. everyone just goes to the bar and gets over it. rms is the only guy who won't loving shut up about it.

thats not really so much a great parallel but i'm not gonna argue with sagebrush about it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

his "life's work" has been complaining to people that nobody wants to do things his way.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

communists also won’t shut up about it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sagebrush posted:

stop trying to make ppl like rms

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i went to an rms talk in london and went along with the group of sycophants that gathered around him at the end.

you do realize that you were one of those sycophants right

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bernie sanders dot com posted:

The time has come to substantially expand employee ownership in America. Study after study has shown that employee ownership increases employment, increases productivity, increases sales, and increases wages in the United States. This is in large part because employee-owned businesses boost employee morale, dedication, creativity and productivity, because workers share in profits and have more control over their own work lives.
Employees in worker-owned companies are not simply cogs in a machine owned by someone else. They play a central role in determining what the company does and how it is run.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Gnossiennes posted:

you do realize that you were one of those sycophants right

absolutely

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

bernie lost, go to the bar and get over it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stringent posted:

bernie lost, go to the bar and get over it

i will never get over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

rotor posted:

i will never get over it