Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
like a couple of rmses over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

i would wager its very frustrating to see your lifes work - retaining the freedom of software from commerical interests - get hijacked as the primary shared development model for megacorporations like apple, facebook and google.

as already touched upon probably not, he refuses to consider any concern outside what license the software he is running is under.

of course that also makes his entire standpoint dumb as hell, and i disagree he had any real insights precisely because he refused to take even that one single step of considering any social or practical viewpoint on these matters. if anything he is a huge hinderance to any kinds of improvements because he sits on the sideline parroting the pointless hypothetical where all software is under the gpl.

to add to this i would actively avoid any opportunity to meet with or talk to rms, and think his input on any of this would be useless and excruciating to listen to.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I bought my airplane headsets from an employee-owned company. They are still located in the same factory in Massachusetts where they manufactured most of the US spacesuits going back to the Mercury program.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

I bought my airplane headsets from an employee-owned company. They are still located in the same factory in Massachusetts where they manufactured most of the US spacesuits going back to the Mercury program.

are you glad they didn’t go to the bar and shut up about it?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
just because i’ll vote for ppl who work for faceless corporations doesn’t mean i’ll buy headsets from them

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op did rms ensure that the food was prepared according to free as in speech recipes?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I wasn't familiar with why it was controversial to reinstate rms on the FSF board, so I looked it up, and found this sentence on wikipedia:

"On September 14, Stallman acknowledged that since the time of his past writings, he had learned that there were problems with underage sex"

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

Truman Peyote posted:

I wasn't familiar with why it was controversial to reinstate rms on the FSF board, so I looked it up, and found this sentence on wikipedia:

"On September 14, Stallman acknowledged that since the time of his past writings, he had learned that there were problems with underage sex"

age of consent laws aren't issued under the GPL

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'd go to chinese buffet with rms for the yoscred

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

do it for the curlture

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The only activity I'd do with RMS is taking him for a shave + haircut

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

nvrgrls posted:

100% same.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
we're on the third page of rms chat and no one's posted the tom collins image?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
or the bird email for that matter

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

nvrgrls posted:

this is why i wanted to get a photo with him in 2008 but that luckily did not work out

I did see him sit wistfully on a table while he recounted the glory days and undergrads handed out defect by design stickers. i think i still have them in my old camera bag

rotor posted:

that is the exact reason i wanted that photo. lording that cool leather jacket over us

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

thyeres a photo of me with RMS that im not gonna post

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

i'll post mine i guess

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you're no tom collins I'l tell u what

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Nobody Interesting posted:

i'll post mine i guess

i see nobody interesting in this image

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Gentle Autist posted:

i see nobody interesting in this image

:hmmyes:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Nobody Interesting posted:

i'll post mine i guess

wow rms is really young in this photo

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

thyeres a photo of me with RMS that im not gonna post

you should adopt this attitude towards all your posts

kia kaha

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

rotor posted:

Nobody has it saved

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

whole lotta rms fanboys in the 'pos suddenly

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

what's tomorrow? "i went to the firing range with esr"

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

rms did nothing wrong!!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

in fact rms did many things wrong.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

but he did two or three things right, which is what distinguishes him from esr

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor just stop defending rms, he sucks rear end and that's it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

rotor just stop defending rms, he sucks rear end and that's it

emacs: good
gcc: well it was good for a long time
gpl: good

the rest? eh

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

rotor posted:

emacs: good
gcc: well it was good for a long time
gpl: good

the rest? eh

I mean I'm sure you could come up with 1-3 worthwhile things any person on earth did

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

sometimes i feel like I should learn more about linux and whatnot but then I think “i’m 41 years old. gently caress that.”

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

I mean I'm sure you could come up with 1-3 worthwhile things any person on earth did

ok try it with esr

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

rotor posted:

ok try it with esr

He worked on NetHack, uhhhh, <tugs collar>

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol. he supports 3D printing of gun parts. say no more.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

ok try it with esr

he can really buy a tux

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

we split the bill btw

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

TOOT BOOT posted:

He worked on NetHack, uhhhh, <tugs collar>

I hear he's a pretty accomplished LARPer

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

sometimes i feel like I should learn more about linux and whatnot but then I think “i’m 41 years old. gently caress that.”

youre correct its worthless and a waste of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk if there's really anything to learn. desktop linux in 2021 is just as easy to install and use as osx or win10.

like if you wanna get into the weeds then its gets weird but so do the other ones.