Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

this happened in 2018 an i never thought to inform yospos. i went to an rms talk in london and went along with the group of sycophants that gathered around him at the end. he took us to Foyles (book store) and then to a chinese restaurant in chinatown that i forget the name of. i then helped him get back to where he was staying because he's pretty unfit to say the least and carries a LOT of heavy poo poo with him (read: i carried his things). caught the last train back home after spending pretty much the entire day with him.

he is a nice guy to hang around with and you quickly figure out how to stop him from going on controversial tangents.

as problematic as this guy is i think it was pretty cool to get to spend so much time with him.

if you are going to eat dinner with rms make sure you go to a buffet style place because he will do the ordering (while making dietary considerations - i cannot eat nuts so he ordered no nut-containing things) without consulting you so you'll need the options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

thankfully he did not have one with him BUT I WOULD HAVE

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

i will call it "the time i ate chinese with richard stallman"

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

pram posted:

how bad did he smell

surprisingly, not that bad. he did get very sweaty though.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

what's great is between doing this annoying thing with his teeth ("i have a fascination with making sounds with my body") he'll tell you sad stories about past loves and also how much he loves birds.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Gentle Autist posted:

i saw him speak in the IEEE building in London too and he was revolting in all aspects. i can’t believe you willingly ate with/hung out with him, well done goon

was a scout leader before i moved out of the UK, seen grosser

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

he wishes :smuggo:

did hug him

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

dude i gotta work i don't have time to go to the burns ward!!!

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

What would happen if, when he started ordering for you, you cut him off and told the waiter what you actually wanted?

i'd be boring and ask for a chicken chow mein, why not use the opportunity to have a well traveled guy suggest new things for you? somehow had never eaten crab before that day. it was pretty good.

but also to be real he'd probably assert that his choices were the good ones

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

fart simpson posted:

the first date i ever went on was to a chinese restaurant. makes you think

was it with rms

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

ADINSX posted:

I attended a talk RMS gave at UW several years ago (I wasn't a student it was just the venue). It was extremely cringy, surface level and awkward. Naturally there wasn't any nuance to anything and the talk easily could have been written 20 years ago, no hot takes on modern issues etc. New grads shouldn't work for Apple, Microsoft, whoever because they hate freedom, they should all live in an office provided by MIT free of charge.

I especially remember him awkwardly auctioning off some GNU plushy to try and raise money.

$50 for this adorrrrable gnu that needs a hoooome

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

i will not attempt, i will succeed

he is an unfortunate sperg who will never know love or true happiness :smith:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

ADINSX posted:

thats exactly what he said and exactly the way he said it

he'd sometimes get stuck and repeat it over and over again, but he'd be talking about a cup instead of a plush

adooooorable cup sounded weirder

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

"retaining the freedom of software from commerical interests" i think is a bit of a conflation. for rms there's nothing that says free software cannot also be commercial, he'd be cool with windows if it was distributed under GPL, i mean he actually gave a talk at Redmond fairly recently about that kind of thing. software absolutely needs to have a place in the commercial space, he's not so short sighted as to not realise that

honestly i think for him the more frustrating thing is hearing people say "open source" interchangeably with "free software", because sperg.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

oh and he absolutely snaps at you like a bolt of lightning if you say "open source" or "intellectual property" or "i use linux"

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

alright i getcha, i actually care about the free software thing so sometimes i forget i'm in yospos

at the same time though, i think he does look at say, android phones, and sheds a silent tear of pride...."i made this"

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Gnossiennes posted:

you do realize that you were one of those sycophants right

absolutely

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

i'll post mine i guess

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Gentle Autist posted:

i see nobody interesting in this image

:hmmyes:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

rms did nothing wrong!!

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

we split the bill btw

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

i got my job because i bragged to the ceo about getting fallout new vegas to run in linux

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

but all work and no play...

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

if Richard Milhouse Stallsman knew that you used GNU/Linux to run a nonfree computer game he would cry

he knows he doesn't mind

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

i am not certain as to whether he has done a Sex

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

he's a nice guy

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

ok lol i found the parrot quote

i wonder if he deliberately chose to write that story provocatively? my buddy warned me her conure might try to masturbate on me because she's a tiny horny dinosaur but if she did that i wouldn't say "the bird had sex with me" - she can also usually tell when she's about to try something so she'll put a stop to it

if a dog humps your leg, is it having sex with you?

he's a weird fella

but a nice guy he's a nice guy

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Gentle Autist posted:

when i met rms he was a real prick to every single person in the room of about 200

he definitely didn’t seem like ‘a nice guy’ to me

he's the Rough Autist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pube5Aynsls

I prefer this purely because the vid ID has the word "pube" in it