Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Nobody Interesting posted:

what's great is between doing this annoying thing with his teeth ("i have a fascination with making sounds with my body") he'll tell you sad stories about past loves and also how much he loves birds.

i can't believe rms is just pining away, wistfully dreaming of the day a parrot will dry hump him again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

George posted:

one story I heard is that back in the day he would gently caress groupies on your couch and just like leave the condom under the couch after

i think the actual story is that he would just gently caress your couch

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that seems cool, op

rms would be interesting to talk to imho

i feel like all the interesting things rms has to say have already been said

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rms was largely right about a lot of things wrt to his areas of expertise (computers, and the narrow band of politics around them) and wildly out of his depth about virtually every other possible facet of life on planet earth.

I agree with the sad nerd who was never wanted and was never forced to grow up assessment.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i would wager its very frustrating to see your lifes work - retaining the freedom of software from commerical interests - get hijacked as the primary shared development model for megacorporations like apple, facebook and google.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"retaining the freedom of software from commerical interests" i think is a bit of a conflation

yeah i dont wanna get into the weeds on this but sure. What I'm tryin to say here is that he has a big problem with non-gpl licenses and that's all anyone uses and I can imagine that this feels like someone hijacked your lifes work after you did all the heavy lifting.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

alright i getcha, i actually care about the free software thing so sometimes i forget i'm in yospos

so do i so here's my manifesto about it https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h__zP17eMoSXntHq6Jo7nKxRB8DoCOcVZ794Qd4LEA4/edit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

that happens to literally everyone on the planet who has ever had a boss or worked for a corporation. everyone just goes to the bar and gets over it. rms is the only guy who won't loving shut up about it.

thats not really so much a great parallel but i'm not gonna argue with sagebrush about it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stringent posted:

bernie lost, go to the bar and get over it

i will never get over it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

we're on the third page of rms chat and no one's posted the tom collins image?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you're no tom collins I'l tell u what

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

in fact rms did many things wrong.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

but he did two or three things right, which is what distinguishes him from esr

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

rotor just stop defending rms, he sucks rear end and that's it

emacs: good
gcc: well it was good for a long time
gpl: good

the rest? eh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

I mean I'm sure you could come up with 1-3 worthwhile things any person on earth did

ok try it with esr

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk if there's really anything to learn. desktop linux in 2021 is just as easy to install and use as osx or win10.

like if you wanna get into the weeds then its gets weird but so do the other ones.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

yeah, until you want to run real software

web browsers are the only software most people use any more and both firefox and chrome run on linux.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

speaking of internet weirdos, has jaron lanier been up to anything lately? i remember at one point nothing could happen without mondo2000 asking jaron lanier what he thought about it but i haven't heard of him in ages.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gentle Autist posted:

he hosed a parrot remember

uhh its really more precise to say that he was dry humped by a parrot and while he said he found the experience "Immensely pleasurable," I dont think it's accurate to say that he in fact hosed a parrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

welp, had the shopped Tom Collins RMS in a random crap folder

FINALLY