Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I attended a talk RMS gave at UW several years ago (I wasn't a student it was just the venue). It was extremely cringy, surface level and awkward. Naturally there wasn't any nuance to anything and the talk easily could have been written 20 years ago, no hot takes on modern issues etc. New grads shouldn't work for Apple, Microsoft, whoever because they hate freedom, they should all live in an office provided by MIT free of charge.

I especially remember him awkwardly auctioning off some GNU plushy to try and raise money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Nobody Interesting posted:

$50 for this adorrrrable gnu that needs a hoooome

thats exactly what he said and exactly the way he said it

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

for all I know it was a package deal, someone in our session paid 100 dollars to find out

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

rotor posted:

i will never get over it

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

He worked on NetHack, uhhhh, <tugs collar>

I hear he's a pretty accomplished LARPer