Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

i would wager its very frustrating to see your lifes work - retaining the freedom of software from commerical interests - get hijacked as the primary shared development model for megacorporations like apple, facebook and google.

as already touched upon probably not, he refuses to consider any concern outside what license the software he is running is under.

of course that also makes his entire standpoint dumb as hell, and i disagree he had any real insights precisely because he refused to take even that one single step of considering any social or practical viewpoint on these matters. if anything he is a huge hinderance to any kinds of improvements because he sits on the sideline parroting the pointless hypothetical where all software is under the gpl.

to add to this i would actively avoid any opportunity to meet with or talk to rms, and think his input on any of this would be useless and excruciating to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

cultural appropriation is well understood by an example: if you're a white hipster running a higher-end mexican restaurant in direct competition with a mexican-run food truck down the street it is tacky as hell to go on about how authentic and genuine your stuff is, and how you use the correct hard-to-get chilis that "some other" places don't have.

the name we give that specific kind of tackiness is cultural appropriation.