Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

God Hole posted:

has anyone mentioned Time Lapse (2014)? it involves a dude who invents a camera that takes future pictures of what it's pointed at and the Primer-like shenanigans that ensue. i'd put it on a similar tier to ARQ in that it's an enjoyable enough netflix romp with some issues

There is also an episode of Twilight Zone with the exact same plot, if you love the premise and want to see it done 50 years ago instead of 5.

Annabel Pee posted:

I haven't seen ARQ.

I was attempting a time loop, check out the first message of the thread :ssh:

Sorry I'm dumb?!?!?!?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

How are there multiple goons who have seen Happy Deathday 2U without seeing the first? Dear god, half the jokes won't work at all.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How are there multiple goons who have seen Happy Deathday 2U without seeing the first? Dear god, half the jokes won't work at all.

To be fair I saw the first one and half the jokes in the second still didn’t work.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There is also an episode of Twilight Zone with the exact same plot, if you love the premise and want to see it done 50 years ago instead of 5.

Sorry I'm dumb?!?!?!?

I reposted the OP's list of films watched as my own post and appropriately confused the thread.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ozmunkeh posted:

To be fair I saw the first one and half the jokes in the second still didn’t work.

lol, the second film is so bad.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
The episode of childrens hospital where owen gets caught in a time loop and learns how to play the trumpet is the best this concept has ever been filmed

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

BiggestBatman posted:

The episode of childrens hospital where owen gets caught in a time loop and learns how to play the trumpet is the best this concept has ever been filmed

Childrens Hospital was the best show that hardly anyone has seen. They did so many ridiculous high-concept episodes that should not have worked, and always stuck the landing with every one.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

I reposted the OP's list of films watched as my own post and appropriately confused the thread.

Never mind. Next time round you can try it differently

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just watched 41, really low budget and the soundtrack doesn't really fit at all but the story was really enjoyable. I recommend it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BiggestBatman posted:

Stargate SG-1's best episode did this gag too.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

sigher posted:

Because no one knows what this is?

I just watched it again after years and it still holds up. I love this film, though I wouldn't say it's really a time loop film because they aren't going back. I still think people in this thread would like it though.

Given the hundreds of pages of discussion it has gotten on something awful there's no way that's true.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sri.Theo posted:

There’s a US the series called Daybreak which was never popular but I thought was fantastic. It’s about a police officer caught in a time loop who gradually has to uncover why.

I think it only got one season so some plot points are left unresolved but I remember it being surprisingly good.

ynohtna posted:

Yeah, I remember that being really enjoyable and compelling. Taye Diggs!

I've been meaning to revisit it but it seems I'm stuck in a procrastination time-passing loop.
Daybreak Bros

BiggestBatman posted:

McSpanky posted:

Stargate SG-1's best episode did this gag too.
I would venture to say that said Stargate SG-1 episode is the best this concept has ever been filmed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's this one bit of fanart with a ton of time loop characters I feel needs to be posted itt but no idea where to find it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Interstellar was mentioned as a singular closed loop, as is Tenant and Terminator 1.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

sigher posted:

Just watched 41, really low budget and the soundtrack doesn't really fit at all but the story was really enjoyable. I recommend it.

Nothing can prepare you for just how low budget this is. It’s a neat idea that has enough meat for a 15 minute short but does that low budget thing where each scene has an extra 15 seconds of the actors struggling to emote into middle distance while lit from all directions with 5000K floodlights.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Given the hundreds of pages of discussion it has gotten on something awful there's no way that's true.

Okay then what is your theory.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The time loop in Madoka is very well done and an interesting part of it, but probably not what most people think of about for it, since it shows up later on. I think more people are likely to remember the twist about exploiting teenage girls to counteract the Second Law of Thermodynamics; and yes, I know the time loop is going on the whole time.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i mean i would just call it Madoka and never call it's longer name but i'd also never bring up anime because it makes some people very angry

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Regarde Aduck posted:

i mean i would just call it Madoka and never call it's longer name but i'd also never bring up anime because it makes some people very angry

That's half the fun!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Borscht posted:

Is The Endless a time loop movie or does it have so many loops it becomes more of a spirograph movie?
Certain pockets of space exist within their own time loops of varying lengths and sizes. All are within the larger bubble of a ~10 year loop though, and you're only trapped if you submit to the entity causing it. My personal theory for The Endless (and by extension, Resolution) is that it's meta-commentary on film itself, using a cosmic horror entity as a storytelling device. That's why it communicates through media: it IS media.

Spoilers follow for Resolution, The Endless, and sort of Syncronic. I highly recommend watching the first two as a double feature.

In Resolution, you have the two guys repeatedly ignoring several first-act Inciting Incidents (one of which is the cult from The Endless) until the third act, where the movie makes it impossible to ignore: "It wants an ending." I compare it to the basement scene in Cabin in the Woods, where each artifact they play with could potentially start a stock horror movie, except in Resolution they refuse because they're working on their own personal drama. But in The Endless, you have a broader scope where you see things representing the history of film - like the 1800s-looking guy in the tent who loops for only a few seconds, because that's all the medium of film had to work with at the time. The low budget indie film Resolution is trapped specifically within the low budget indie film Resolution, while The Endless is the greater cinematic universe the directors are building. It even ties into Syncronic because the drug is made from the red flowers that came from the setting of the other two. Smoking the flower also allowed Byron in Resolution to see through the veil - which he calls "a film" (he clarifies that he meant film as in "membrane", but the clue is still there). The multiple moons in the sky also visually represent the spokes of a film reel, and there are often weird little jump-cuts/film grain/distorted footage between scenes, as if the entity is self-editing the movie you're watching.

Basically it's saying that if you're watching a movie, these characters are trapped inside of it at your whim. Whenever you watch something, it's a linear story, but when you watch it again, you hit a reset button where the story repeats and the characters go through the same things over and over again. These movies are an instance where the characters become self-aware of that format, and what an existential hell that would be. I'm really interested to see what Benson & Moorhead do next; they're probably my favorite auteur filmmakers at the moment.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Benson and Moorhead are great, I will watch anything they put out.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Just watched Palm Springs for the first time last night and goddamn what a great movie. I loved how the script led you to realizations about ten seconds before they're actually revealed, and a lot of things aren't necessarily spelled out for you at all and the movie just trusts the viewer to figure out their implications.

Of all the time loop movies I've seen this is probably the most worthy successor to Groundhog Day yet, and would make a fantastic double feature as two movies with really similar premises and even similar themes that are executed in completely different ways.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Looter Shooter Destiny 2 Recently had the Groundhog Day related twist that A character who you thought was a time traveler from the future is actually just stuck in a Groundhog Day loop. All her “knowledge from the future” is just stuff she knows from loops where she made it farther than the story’s current “present”.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

galagazombie posted:

Looter Shooter Destiny 2 Recently had the Groundhog Day related twist that A character who you thought was a time traveler from the future is actually just stuck in a Groundhog Day loop. All her “knowledge from the future” is just stuff she knows from loops where she made it farther than the story’s current “present”.

this is a cool idea but i refuse to believe anyone understands destiny's story enough to see if it lines up correctly

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I watched 3 of Benson and Moorhead's movies (Resolution, The Endless, Synchronic) thanks to this thread and in 2 of them there's either a dog being killed or being lost in time do they not like dogs or something :smith:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i didn't know synchronic was their third installment. i heard mixed reviews so i avoided it but i'll have to give it a shot now!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Came in here to suggest Lola Rennt, but someone else gad that one covered on page one. Thankfully, I just remembered the "White Hole" episode of Red Dwarf, which is an all time classic.

The crew of the Red Dwarf encounter a "White Hole" while the ship's computer "Holly" has shut herself down after having her life span drastically reduced by an intelligence-enhancing operation.

The show explains it like this: Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. A black hole sucks time and matter out of the universe: a white hole returns it.
So, this thing's spewing time back into the universe, and that's why they start experiencing these curious time phenomena on board.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's this one bit of fanart with a ton of time loop characters I feel needs to be posted itt but no idea where to find it.

Surprised no one's posted it.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 4, 2021

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK I saw The Map of Tiny Perfect Things, and I really liked it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

God Hole posted:

Predestination is a great little movie with ethan hawke, not sure how it hasn't been mentioned yet but to be fair it did fly under the radar a bit a few years back. not sure why though, it's one of the best in this class imo. edit: don't read about this movie or watch a trailer. go in blind.

Note that this movie is an adaptation of Robert Heinlein's "All You Zombies", one of two solid time loop stories he wrote.

Argue posted:

Some books that might interest are The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North and Replay by Ken Grimwood. These are both long-term time loops, as in the main character lives their entire life over and over again. The former is legit good and I'd recommend it whether or not someone was explicitly looking for a time loop. The latter is a decent read for people who are already in the market for the genre.

Harry August gets mentioned a lot around here and I always feel compelled to point out that Kate Atkinson's Life after Life is similar in many respects, and I think, just plain better, with stronger prose and a more thoughtful examination of what it must be like to live serial lives. Another decent serial lives/time loop novel is The 7 and 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. It's a fun little murder mystery, though I think its conclusion is flat and doesn't live up to the promise of the rest of the novel.

And if we're adding other non-movie titles to the mix, I can't recommend enough the intertwined X-men miniseries House of X and Powers of X. They were the relaunch for all Marvel's mutant titles after Disney acquired Fox and decided it was okay to promote their best ensemble again. They rest on the premise that Moira McTaggart is herself a mutant with the power to live and remember serial lives.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Triangle

If you were disappointed that Happy Death Day was PG-13 then here's what you're looking for. Buckets of blood here, but also a surprisingly hopeful story. Like how Timecrimes is about how easily one loses their morality when it becomes more complex than just direct consequence and action, Triangle is kind of a story about choosing to do good even in the face of futility.

Triangle is on my list of my all-time favorites but I'd like to hear more about this interpretation of the film, because my read of it is that the main character is a total shithead and that's why I love it. The ending seems to reveal that she beat her kid, refused to take responsibility for it, got both of them killed, and is subject to an eternal Sisyphean punishment of her own making because she refuses to accept that's it's too late to save him and it's all her fault. And that's without talking about everything on the boat!

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
No additional movies from me, but The Forgotten City is an excellent time-loop videogame that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PTizzle posted:

No additional movies from me, but The Forgotten City is an excellent time-loop videogame that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

I really didn't get on with TFC. It acts like you've got this detailed, changing world to explore, but the quests and puzzles are all incredibly shallow. And the final resolution of the mystery was trite and unsatisfying.

The mid-game revelation about Karen was a great head-slapping moment though. That was very well done.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Undertale probably deserves some honorary credit for playing with some time loop elements, combined with the whole video game medium being taken apart a bit, given the one character who remembers poo poo between saves and loads, and another who is aware that they exist but not the specifics, and it kinda broke him.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i'll always have a special place in my heart for the Legacy of Kain games

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timesplitters 2 has some incredible time-loop moments, including one where you loop through the same area 4 times so you can cover yourself doing various tasks in the room.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Xenomrph posted:

Timesplitters 2 has some incredible time-loop moments, including one where you loop through the same area 4 times so you can cover yourself doing various tasks in the room.
Not Vin Diesel: It's time to split! :haw:
Everyone else: :rolleyes:

Or was that Timesplitters 3? I can't remember, I'm so tired of all these time splits.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I don't think it's streaming anywhere yet but Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes was fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQ15uKGHkI

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I always forget about this until I watch them again, but Wishmaster 1 and 2 are an open time loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's an open time loop? Is that when one timeline doesn't care if the other one messes around?

Speaking about games, how's Deathloop? The concept seems interesting but the gameplay looked really dull.