Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

God Hole posted:

Predestination is a great little movie with ethan hawke, not sure how it hasn't been mentioned yet but to be fair it did fly under the radar a bit a few years back. not sure why though, it's one of the best in this class imo. edit: don't read about this movie or watch a trailer. go in blind.

Note that this movie is an adaptation of Robert Heinlein's "All You Zombies", one of two solid time loop stories he wrote.

Argue posted:

Some books that might interest are The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North and Replay by Ken Grimwood. These are both long-term time loops, as in the main character lives their entire life over and over again. The former is legit good and I'd recommend it whether or not someone was explicitly looking for a time loop. The latter is a decent read for people who are already in the market for the genre.

Harry August gets mentioned a lot around here and I always feel compelled to point out that Kate Atkinson's Life after Life is similar in many respects, and I think, just plain better, with stronger prose and a more thoughtful examination of what it must be like to live serial lives. Another decent serial lives/time loop novel is The 7 and 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. It's a fun little murder mystery, though I think its conclusion is flat and doesn't live up to the promise of the rest of the novel.

And if we're adding other non-movie titles to the mix, I can't recommend enough the intertwined X-men miniseries House of X and Powers of X. They were the relaunch for all Marvel's mutant titles after Disney acquired Fox and decided it was okay to promote their best ensemble again. They rest on the premise that Moira McTaggart is herself a mutant with the power to live and remember serial lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Also, how is reading the book after watching the film?

"All You Zombies" is a roughly ten page short story, so it's much quicker to the point. The only major plot difference is the film adds the terrorist plot, which is only kinda alluded to in the short story, and even that's a stretch..