Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Last month, Paul Noonan posted a series of articles arguing that a great number of NFL teams have broken through barriers previously constraining QB development. Because of this breakthrough, QB stability is now the norm for the majority of the league. The following linked articles examine this hypothesis and the changes in how coaches and GMs approach player development.

I will post excerpts from each article, but I strongly recommend you read the series in full -- it should take only 10-15 minutes.

Disclaimer: as Noonan is a Packers writer writing on a Packers fan site, the articles will be oriented towards a Packers perspective.

Part 1. Scheme is Everything -- how coaching schemes put Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, and Ryan Tannehill in the best possible situations to succeed. One of the things creating quarterback scarcity is teams and coaches being unwilling to refit their systems to their players, instead hunting perpetually for the perfect player fit for their system.

quote:

Instead, Jackson landed in the perfect spot. The Ravens are among the most progressive organizations in the NFL, and rather than hold out for an old-school “big statue” at quarterback, they instead found an exceptional college player and tailored their offense to his talents. The Ravens run a run-based modern throwback offense, which creates easy passing opportunities for Jackson by making defenses respect his, and his teammates’ legs. Such an offense would have been unthinkable even 10 years ago, but more and more frequently, NFL coaches are looking at the college game and asking why they can’t do that.

Jackson is an example of the league having created an elite quarterback that could not have existed before through the simple acts of understanding a player’s strengths and weaknesses and scheming appropriately. Jackson is the most extreme example of this phenomenon currently playing, but we have almost as good of an example here in Green Bay. Matt LaFleur and Kyle Shanahan run similar offenses, and it’s a blessing that we have both of them for the sake of comparison. It’s also a blessing, for analytics purposes, that we have a large sample size of Aaron Rodgers in an old-timey conventional NFL system run by Mike McCarthy, as well as in LaFleur’s system.

quote:

While the Ravens, Packers, and 49ers excel at this, the league as a whole is catching up. Andy Reid is basically a pioneer in scheming success for quarterbacks, and it’s no surprise that Mahomes has succeeded as much as he has. Veterans on the move have also taken notice of the importance of scheme, as Philip Rivers decided to spend his final, successful season with Frank Reich in Indianapolis and Tom Brady moved to Bruce Arians’ talented and quarterback friendly Bucs. Reich is worth focusing on as he managed to coax a Super Bowl out of Carson Wentz and Nick Foles in Philadelphia before resurrecting Rivers for one more run. Reich was never considered the true guru of the offense in Philly until he left, but it’s clear now that Reich made everything work.

Finally, consider Ryan Tannehill, who was buried in a terrible situation in Miami. Upon moving to the Titans, who use play-action more than almost anyone in the league, he has become one of the NFL’s most efficient players, and his success and struggles are completely dependent on the amount of play-action Tennessee runs on any given day. Tannehill never finished above 18th in DVOA while in Miami, but has never finished lower than 6th as a member of the Titans. While Tennessee’s roster is more talented than Miami’s, Tannehill’s extreme splits when in a play-action heavy scheme make it clear that scheme, not talent, is the big differentiator.

Without progressive schemes, it’s very likely that Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, and Ryan Tannehill would currently be considered average quarterbacks, and in Jackson’s case, there a decent chance he wouldn’t even be in the league, let alone an MVP candidate. Teams have managed to elevate mediocre quarterbacks like Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Nick Foles, and Jimmy Garoppolo to Super Bowl caliber players through quarterback friendly scheme as well.

Part 2. Tape Analysis, Focused Practice, and Coaching -- the transformation of Josh Allen. One of the things creating quarterback scarcity is players being unable to get proper coaching and targeted development to overcome their deficiencies. Allen benefited from not only having a team that believed in him, but getting specialized training that used video data to analyze his deficiencies and personal coaching focused specifically on fixing his movement and throwing mechanics.

quote:

Allen, who was drafted 7th overall as the third quarterback taken in the 2018 draft, is in many ways the prototypical bust. He’s a physical specimen, extremely fast, with the strongest arm the NFL has seen in years. Quarterbacks like Allen are often drafted too high based on the idea that NFL coaching can harness that raw physical ability and fix whatever mechanical and accuracy issues may exist.

In reality, this almost never happens.

quote:

The NFL is a pioneer in the use of video, and any scout, coach, or even fanboy wannabe looking to prove his mettle need only cite the hours of tape they grind and the use of “All-22” to put their credibility out there. NFL coaches have used tape sessions for almost as long as they’ve had film, and generally speaking, they’re quite good at it. They have also enjoyed a virtual monopoly on tape availability until recently, but that’s changing fast. The NFL is letting more out the door than ever before including their precious All-22 via the NFL Gamepass, and through the gradual publication of tape-based statistics via Next Gen Stats. We also have outside organizations like Pro Football Focus and Sports Info Solutions selling in-depth tape quantification to any fan or analyst who wants it.

It’s becoming more and more clear that as we gain sophistication measuring athleticism on the field through frame-by-frame tape analysis, data derived from the NFL Combine and college pro days become less and less valuable. Quarterbacking is no exception.

The Exception. A (slightly outdated, with the recent draft trades from NYJ and SF) review of the QB situation for each franchise.

Noonan asserts there are 17 teams that are "set" / stable at QB, 7 teams that are actively evaluating their QBs and are likely to draft a QB this Thursday, and 8 teams that don't have any stability or future potential with their current QBs.

quote:

https://twitter.com/YahooSchwab/status/1371937801474740224

That argument goes against the point of this recent series of articles at Acme Packing Company. However, I want to point out that one really should not use the Bears to prove this point or any other point about quarterbacks.

Part 3 & Conclusion. Drafting the Future -- how analytics and scouting missed badly on prospects from previous decades -- featuring Brian Brohm -- and how the Chargers hit on Justin Herbert despite his college performance. One of the things creating quarterback scarcity is teams drafting the wrong players because they're looking at the wrong traits and attributes.

Herbert was terrible under pressure in college:

quote:

“Though if the clean pocket collapses, Herbert becomes increasingly volatile. Among 129 qualifying quarterbacks this season, Herbert ranked 124th in negatively graded play rate under pressure. You can see his panic in a collapsing pocket, an area where a first-round quarterback really shouldn’t be losing his poise. He’ll try to create outside of the structure but will toss up some desperation heaves and, in turn, produced the 47th best accurate-pass rate among 66 qualifying quarterbacks.”

“Quick, short passes have been Herbert’s nemesis this season, ranking 64th in the FBS in accurate-pass rate on throws in 2.5 seconds or less and traveling just 1-9 yards. On throws of 19 yards or fewer when clean, Herbert has thrown the fourth-most incompletions that were faulted to him — whether it was an overthrow, underthrow, ball in front or behind, etc. Regardless of the scenario, he owns the second-highest rate of such throws among the top seven quarterbacks in the 2020 draft class.”
but still became one of the best QBs under pressure in the NFL:

quote:

We’ve never seen a better performance from a rookie under pressure and, honestly, it’s not even close. His 75.4 passing grade under pressure was not only the highest we’ve ever seen from a rookie, it was also the highest in the entire NFL this season. Of the 30 seasons we’ve seen where a quarterback earned a 70.0-plus passing grade under pressure, only five of them came from players you wouldn’t immediately recognize as sure-fire, stud, franchise quarterbacks: Jeff Garcia (2007), Robert Griffin III (2012), Carson Palmer (2015), Jay Cutler (2015) and Marcus Mariota (2017).”

Conclusion:

quote:

With all of that said, I wonder how wrong the analysts actually were on Justin Herbert and Josh Allen. You can measure so many traits and slice and dice so many metrics for each player, that it’s virtually impossible to have a poor scouting report on anything other than makeup. Analysts can point, over and over, to how often certain player types have failed, but teams aren’t static. Most teams, at least the sophisticated ones, likely have a good idea of exactly what they can and cannot develop. The recent focus on mobile quarterbacks reflects a larger trend in the NFL that shows more faith in a team’s ability to develop a prospect. College football has featured great athletes forever, even (especially) back into the triple option days, with the only difference that a college team never required as much development.

Patrick Mahomes is the NFL’s best quarterback, and Josh Allen may be his equal in short order. Herbert had a nice completion percentage in college, but he also has a cannon, and an outstanding RAS.

Once you diagnose deficiencies like poise under pressure or short throw accuracy, you can use your coaching staff to specifically work on those issues. You can make additional use of that strong arm and mobility to scheme easier throws. In short, analytics, more than projecting fully developed players, allows you to more accurately assess a players’ strengths and weaknesses and develop a training program and scheme to maximize their gifts.

Quarterbacks are better than they have ever been before, but they’re also more diverse. Nowhere is that more apparent than in this class, where Alabama’s Mac Jones stands as one of the most accurate quarterbacks in college football history, but also one of the least mobile and least physically gifted. Justin Fields is an incredible athlete, but he was helped by his surrounding talent, per SIS, more than just about anyone else. You have your “can’t miss” guy in Trevor Lawrence, and your scout’s dream in the small school prospect Trey Lance. Using one single criteria to project this field is a fool’s errand, but thanks to an unprecedented effort in data collection, no team should be surprised by what they are getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

My first thought is that Rodgers was on the of the greatest QBs ever and the scheme never matured past "Go make a huge play Aaron."

Obviously Lafleur has helped bring him back to MVP level, but let's not pretend McCarthy was an innovator when Rodgers was blowing up records for efficiency.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paint Crop Pro posted:

My first thought is that Rodgers was one the of the greatest QBs ever and the scheme never matured past "Go make a huge play Aaron."

Obviously Lafleur has helped bring him back to MVP level, but let's not pretend McCarthy was an innovator when Rodgers was blowing up records for efficiency.

Part 1 argues exactly this -- while McCarthy may have helped fix Rodgers's throwing mechanics, he didn't do Rodgers any favors with the offensive scheme. Rodgers's best seasons under McCarthy came when he had quality WRs like in 2011 and during Nelson's prime.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I don't buy it.

There have always been one or two coaches at any time in the league who can create innovative offenses with unique players. That doesn't mean that it's an approach that will be easily copied.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

I honestly think its more that offenses have evolved a bunch over the past few years with presnap motions and getting more involved with how to attack the coverages that are shown.

I'm guessing the defenses adjust in the next year or two and then we will have to see how new QBs react.

Also Arians is not QB friendly. He gets results but his playbook is famously a pain in the rear end to learn and adopt.

Its pedantic but I will die that hill.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 26, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I don't buy it.

There have always been one or two coaches at any time in the league who can create innovative offenses with unique players. That doesn't mean that it's an approach that will be easily copied.

Yeah, actually great coaching is even rarer historically than traditional good QB prospects.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Herbie

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't buy it.

See, this is actually the opposite of what this series is arguing. What happened with Josh Allen and Justin Herbert wasn't hyperinnovative coaching and scheming, it's just teams going "OK, we know what's wrong and how to fix this, now run these plays and you'll be good enough to be our franchise QB." Sean McDermott is a solid coach but he's not Andy Reid, and Herbert's coach... was fired.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

See, this is actually the opposite of what this series is arguing. What happened with Josh Allen and Justin Herbert wasn't hyperinnovative coaching and scheming, it's just teams going "OK, we know what's wrong and how to fix this, now run these plays and you'll be good enough to be our franchise QB." Sean McDermott is a solid coach but he's not Andy Reid, and Herbert's coach... was fired.

Herbert's coach hated him and wanted to start Tyrod the entire year

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
kirk cousins

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

That's right

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bears fan involuntarily convulsing at seeing the thread title

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chucktesla posted:

That's right

The hair is back boys

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

a neat cape posted:

The hair is back boys

Your AV is still probably top 5 ever on SA.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

quarterback scarcity is still a big deal and justin herbert is a top 5 qb and he's going to be #1 and joe burrow will be a little bit good as well

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

a neat cape posted:

Herbert's coach hated him and wanted to start Tyrod the entire year

The curse of being Tyrod. Coach hates the rookie and plays Tyrod till he dies then rookie goes off

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Regarding Justin Herbert, I don't know how a prospect goes from having all these red flags like how bad he was in the short game and under pressure, issues seeing the whole field, inconsistency with accuracy, all that poo poo to having none of those be big issues in his first start and effectively gone from his game by the end of the season. Scheme can only do so much there.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chucktesla posted:

Regarding Justin Herbert, I don't know how a prospect goes from having all these red flags like how bad he was in the short game and under pressure, issues seeing the whole field, inconsistency with accuracy, all that poo poo to having none of those be big issues in his first start and effectively gone from his game by the end of the season. Scheme can only do so much there.

Cristobal sucks big rear end

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If quarterbacks aren't so scarce then how come I have never seen team have a good one in my lifetime.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

If quarterbacks aren't so scarce then how come I have never seen team have a good one in my lifetime.

NFC

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Actually, you've had perfectly fine QBs this whole time but Bears fans are so PRIVILEGED that your wants greatly exceed your needs, therefore..

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Here's the best Herbert thing

https://theathletic.com/2314895/2021/01/13/justin-herbert-chargers-nfl-records?source=user-shared-article

quote:

After a particularly impressive throw, Beck said he and Dedeaux would put it into proper context.

“We would say, ‘Look, I’ll tell you right now, Justin, there are maybe five guys in this league that can make that throw,'” Beck said.

Justin would respond so innocently and so unknowingly: “Really?”

he didn't know he was that good throwing the football

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

a neat cape posted:

Cristobal sucks big rear end

Tyler Shough is going to have a ten year NFL career

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

R.D. Mangles posted:

The title is "Quarterback scarcity is over", not "Quarterbacks have never been scarce".

Unfortunately for Bears fans, the Bears organization spent the last 4 seasons deliberately and stubbornly tethered to a QB they drafted highly because he looked like a QB instead of drafting a QB because he played like a QB. That sort of outdated organizational outlook does not lend itself to the holistic approach that's becoming the norm across the league.

Perhaps Trubisky could be fixed -- but then again, a team capable of fixing Trubisky in the way described in the articles would be the type of team to draft Mahomes or W*tson over Trubisky.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

imagining a future where there are 32-35 brady-caliber QBs in the NFL and none are on the bears

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I kind of take issue with the premise that Quarterback Scarcity is Over when he admits that barely more than half the teams are "set" at QB

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Sex Cannon brought you to the Super Bowl.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
If they managed to learn how to teach people how to play qb(a premise I basically agree with) then the scarcity will just go to finding the most ridiculously toolsy guys and people in the future will complain there aren't enough guys out there who are 6'5 260, run a 4.4 and throw through a brick wall, which you now need to compete for a title

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

I don't buy it.

Yeah, basically good coaching can ameliorate some of the scarcity issues at QB... but then that kind of coaching is scarce in itself.

I think you're going to see that very shortly with the McVay/Shanahan stuff, they've both seen the writing on their wall in re: to their ability to sustainably compete with middling talent at QB, and all these teams who are trying to jump on that bandwagon are to get diminishing returns with worse coaching, defensive adjustment, and more teams in the market for some of those relatively scarce resources to make the whole deal work.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

indigi posted:

I kind of take issue with the premise that Quarterback Scarcity is Over when he admits that barely more than half the teams are "set" at QB

Let's see... this is my own sorting, not Noonan's.

Stable: BUF, PIT/BAL/CLE/CIN, TEN, KC/LV/LAC, NYG/DAL, GB/MIN, TB/ATL, SEA/LAR/ARZ (18)
Drafting highly: NYJ, JAX, SF, DEN (4)
Transitional or evaluating: MIA, IND, PHI, DET (4)
Unstable: NE, HOU, WAS, CHI, NO, CAR (6)

Of the "Stable" group Pittsburgh, Tampa, and Atlanta are the most likely to go unstable soon (due to QB age/retirement) but everyone else has at least a few more seasons remaining. I'd say at least half of the high-drafters are going to be stable once their rookies are settled, and probably about the same proportion for Group 3.

Of the final group, their biggest issue is that they have no real plan for what comes next, but about half of these teams are run by competent coaches who will be able to develop whatever they get their hands onto. Carolina and New England are also in a position to grab anyone who might fall out of the top 4 in the draft.

So we're looking at about 18 to 24 teams, conservatively, who will be in a stable position with their quarterbacks over the next 12 months.

Nov 6, 2002

lol if u think all of those "stable" teams are happy with who they have under center

Nov 6, 2002

Pittsburgh - Ben will probably die mid season
Cleveland - Is Baker good enough to warrant another contract?
Cincinnati - Burrow hasn't proved squat
LV - One day Gruden is in love with Carr and the next it sounds like he'd trade him for a ham sandwich
NYG - In serious denial about their QB situation
Min - Kirk Cousins is good until he has to be
TB - Their QB is a million years old
ATL - They need to trade Ryan, clean house and rebuild but can't afford to

Also about midway thru every season it always becomes obvious to everyone that a significant portion of the teams we thought were "set" at QB are very much not!

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

It'll be really funny if the browns draft the best quarterback the franchise has had since it restarted and then do the Kirk Cousins dance because he didn't want to sign with them for $20 million a year

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Chucktesla posted:

Having Keenan Allen helps a lot.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Chucktesla posted:

It'll be really funny if the browns draft the best quarterback the franchise has had since it restarted and then do the Kirk Cousins dance because he didn't want to sign with them for $20 million a year

Cousins might be better than Baker

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

The rest are good, but these 3 I dunno. I'd call them "set." Burrow and Jones are going to be run out there a few more years at very least and Brady is going to play for 5 more seasons or so.

I think in the NFL if you get a guy you can start for at least 3 years, that's pretty stable right?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Pittsburgh - Ben will probably die mid season
LV - One day Gruden is in love with Carr and the next it sounds like he'd trade him for a ham sandwich
Min - Kirk Cousins is good until he has to be
ATL - They need to trade Ryan, clean house and rebuild but can't afford to

Also about midway thru every season it always becomes obvious to everyone that a significant portion of the teams we thought were "set" at QB are very much not!

Everyone in the NFC West thread was very sure Jared Goff and Jimmy G were going to be around for a long time at the start of this season and the Rams paid Goff 25 million to leave and Shanahan is going to murder Jimmy G by Thursday.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Athanatos posted:

The rest are good, but these 3 I dunno. I'd call them "set." Burrow and Jones are going to be run out there a few more years at very least and Brady is going to play for 5 more seasons or so.

I think in the NFL if you get a guy you can start for at least 3 years, that's pretty stable right?

I wouldn't bet on Jones getting another season as unquestioned starter.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Athanatos posted:

Worked for the Giants and Baltimore even though there were probably a dozen QBs better than Flacco and Eli. Clearly they would've liked to upgrade if they were able, but if you get someone above the Dalton line locked down it's probably better to focus on the rest of the team instead of continuing to reroll at QB.

Especially nowadays with targeted training and analysis being so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Athanatos posted:

Burrow's grade last season is INC. He certainly hasn't proven that he's an NFL franchise QB and that the Bengals are set for the future and now he's a year older and coming off a serious injury.

Jones is a joke. The Giants are the only team in the NFL that would still be running him out there again because they're too stubborn/proud, or whatever you want to call it, to admit he's a failure. And yet, I think most observers would agree if Jones puts up another one of his typical seasons even the Giants FO will be forced to recognize that drafting him was a mistake and move on. Hardly set at that position. They're basically waiting for him to fail so they can move on.

Brady is one unlucky sprain away from being done forever. That's how all these old QB's go out; they get a nagging lower body or shoulder injury and that's the end. When you're as old as he is - regardless of your health regime - you do not recover fast enough to maintain your football shape.