Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

MononcQc posted:

You might know of the Peter Principle, a concept in management developed by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to their "level of incompetence": employees are promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another.

I would propose to do reverse-stack ranking as a measure to prevent and defeat it once and for all. Effectively, the Peter Principle takes your best employees and removes them from where they are most valuable.

Reverse-stackranking is a practice by which you take your least competent employees, and promote them as fast as possible. This removes them from a position where they are actively doing harm, leaving room for your most competent people to do their work.

Furthermore, most solid organizational advice has to do with delegation, and pushing decision-making to people with the context to implement it, usually at the leaves of the organizational tree. Reverse-stackranking implies that the only people competent enough to make decisions are already at the leaves and therefore naturally fosters contextful and aware decision-making.

this is exactly how i play xcom and it works out great so it must translate to the real world pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
just like xcom the trick to management is to use your lowest developed people as cannon fodder or to run interference into danger.

its also why i rename all my jrs in slack (and xcom) to “decoy”

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Didn't Bing name their isometric aerial/satellite imagery mode "Birds-Eye View"?

yeah but in that case it made more sense cause it was bird level rather than satellite level

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the problem with the peter principle is that people dont actually get promoted based on competence

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

mediaphage posted:

as a child i dreamed of a house of pneumatic tubes to, i don’t know, send poo poo between rooms

as a man i still want this

the dream will never die

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i wanted a model train that constantly drove around the house like a big sushi boat and there were like snacks and stuff on it and all my cool pets like flying squirrels and so forth

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
jira dreams of sushi

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

here's a picture of me doing an innovation

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

rotor posted:

No!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
move fast. break poo poo. blame someone else.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

peer reviews should be conducted yearly. however, to prevent employees banding together and effecting results by protecting each other’s incompetence, you should create subtle milgram shock experiment analogues to see how much pain employees are willing to inflict on coworkers while removing your own authority from sight. the more pain, the least appreciated the coworker.

examples: measure how nitpicky code reviews are across specific worker pairs; cause outages and see who helps or hinders a responder; change meetings so a note-taker is volunteered and see who comes up the most; measure whose estimates are most often debated.

people who others are willing to make suffer are less appreciated and not a culture fit and they should be let go.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

snazzy new employee uniforms are a sure-fire way to send morale through the roof

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

We can save money by nixing the gym membership subsidy and replacing the entire office’s walls with one gigantic kanban board as The Source Of Truth in the company so everyone has to get up and walk across the office to check on or change the status of anything.

Developers may never escape their sticki-note grave but they’ll be getting exercise while they ponder it!

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

rotor posted:

snazzy new employee uniforms are a sure-fire way to send morale through the roof

would

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fortaleza posted:

We can save money by nixing the gym membership subsidy and replacing the entire office’s walls with one gigantic kanban board as The Source Of Truth in the company so everyone has to get up and walk across the office to check on or change the status of anything.

Developers may never escape their sticki-note grave but they’ll be getting exercise while they ponder it!

my company replaced the gym membership subsidy with the total lack of gym membership subsidy

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

each year during the review cycle your are expected to provide feedback to ten different coworkers. the entire review process will be drawn out over 4 months.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's important to get buy in from your employees for new projects and processes. As such, you should have an open q & a session at the end of the company wide zoom meeting when you announce them. After this, you can consider the issue settled, and everyone should be in the same page.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

fart simpson posted:

my company replaced the gym membership subsidy with the total lack of gym membership subsidy

what a deal

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
layoffs require all sorts of nasty red tape and notices. save time and money by scorching your company's corporate culture and then offering people severance for leaving.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Agile workflows are great, but very hard to plan around. Consider adding quarterly product goals, then dividing them into weekly sprint goals, to get the best of both worlds.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

Agile workflows are great, but very hard to plan around. Consider adding quarterly product goals, then dividing them into weekly sprint goals, to get the best of both worlds.

:whitewater:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

ah the open floor plan

kitten emergency posted:

layoffs require all sorts of nasty red tape and notices. save time and money by scorching your company's corporate culture and then offering people severance for leaving.

please don't share our old management's techniques

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Agile Vector posted:

ah the open floor plan

lmao

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
720 degree feedback, employees are given evaluations over and over until the rating distribution lines up with what management believes it to be

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
introducing the six ligma methodology

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

force the entire company to use amberpos

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Captain Foo posted:

fire anyone who doesn’t do this willingly

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Management posted:

excuse me i don’t work for people who commit war crimes

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

pointsofdata posted:

I expect this to accelerate velocity. To improve adoption, let's tie engineer bonuses to your quarterly goals.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

pointsofdata posted:

Spend a month arguing about the metrics that you’ll use to evaluate success at the end of next year.

In 11 months, spend two weeks arguing about how to change the metrics that didn’t work out last year, and two more weeks coming up with new metrics that you’ll be changing the following year.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

tk posted:

Spend a month arguing about the metrics that you’ll use to evaluate success at the end of next year.

In 11 months, spend two weeks arguing about how to change the metrics that didn’t work out last year, and two more weeks coming up with new metrics that you’ll be changing the following year.

are you my boss

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Management posted:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just lol if you manage in any other way than by being completely unengaged 90% of the time and firing people the other 10%

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/bertlamb/status/1387767473483796480

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Visit the people doing UI once every 4 weeks. Demand they make something look a certain way. The next time you visit, demand to know why it looks that way because it's obviously terrible and they should know better. Look them straight in the eye when you do it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Captain Foo posted:

Anyone using greenpos is on notice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

i use amber on phone and green on desktop so I know how it feels to be not only you but also someone else

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

i use amber on phone and green on desktop so I know how it feels to be not only you but also someone else

same but the opposite, actually. though objectively amber is better

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:chanpop:

how awful would a rodtronics / rainbow style sheet be ?

i’m guessing “quite”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk if this is actually a thread about managment

anyway I am the "manager" at my pharmacy. we had a bit of a chat this morning. I made it clear to everyone that when you want to take time off, yes you may feel a pressure that you're putting everyone else under stress because we operate at minimum staff levels and have small staff anyway, so a person off can be a 1/3 of your staff off or more.

and so people may feel something like they're being a dick by taking time off, or someone else may be annoyed that someone is taking time off because it makes their job harder

and so I made it clear to everyone who works under me, that the actuality is that our boss has chosen to udnerstaff us so if there is anyone to get annoyed at it's him and not thre person taking time off

there are 3 pharmacies in the group, and we share staff, and the attitude I shared isn't the way it is at the other places, at least at one of them the manager guilt trips people when they want to take time off.

I then said "I reckon I am a poo poo manager" because I reckon I am, I barely manage anything, I am just fortunate that my staff are great people. I'm no good at correcting people. but I am very chill. and so people said "nah we love working for you" and thats nice to know but I don't know if the success of the business agrees. covid and market downturn and massive aussie pharmacies have eviscterated us, and some time ever we're gonna merge with a medical centre and when that happens who know who'll be on the chopping block.

hopefully not me. I bring something special to the pharmacy. which is my genitals. we have a lot of other cultures and immigrants in our area and they're generally sexist as heck and I am the only dude in the entire business outside of the owner, and so they always want to talk to me and ignore the women. its poo poo as heck but it's hardly my place to tell other people from other cultures how to act

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 4, 2021