Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hammerite posted:

Visit the people doing UI once every 4 weeks. Demand they make something look a certain way. The next time you visit, demand to know why it looks that way because it's obviously terrible and they should know better. Look them straight in the eye when you do it
I had a boss who would do this in our weekly 1:1s so I started ccing her the notes from the meeting so when she would get mad about what she saw as a dumb design decision I could point to where she literally told me to do it, while this did piss her off to my surprise she eventually backed off a bit

I think she didn't actually like being a full time manager and missed being a designer so she just micromanaged her whole team and I can see myself turning into that

pointsofdata posted:

Are you struggling to get your ideas implemented? Do your colleagues say they are "dumb as gently caress", "completely lacks understanding of the problem space", or "an enormous waste of time"? Try running some user focus group sessions, then using the results (Important! You should be the one writing them up) to bludgeon the rest of the company into submission. Accuse them of not being data driven if they push back.
a different manager had a truly bad idea that everyone except the vp in charge of our group hated so we spent tons of money usability testing it in a dedicated lab with professional test proctors and extensive recruiting and everyone hated it [I've been doing these for 20 years and it's the single worst test response I've ever seen] so net net I got blamed for not designing the bad idea good enough. after that I started asking lots of questions about managers' motivations and style during interviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

If your direct reports aren't getting enough done, try scheduling daily 45-min "sync-up" meetings until they're back on track

Also encourage other people to set up similar meetings with your report, but at different times.

the more people you invite the more synchronized your team will be

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also note that these sync up meetings must not interfere with daily standups