Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Will second that. It's lovely. And thanks for putting it here because I forgot to bookmark it like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Emily Short makes excellent IF games - I recently played Counterfeit Monkey which is a wordplay-based game. You start with an item that can remove a letter from anything - the example from the title is you can use a "k-remover" to turn a counterfeit monkey into counterfeit money. She makes a very strange world which explores how such a universe would work. I enjoyed it a lot.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

If you enjoy wordplay, why not check out my game, PataNoir, in which Noir metaphors come to life?

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 15, 2021

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I played it, it's a lot of fun!

I also really like the music video!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SimonChris posted:

If you enjoy wordplay, why not check out my game, PataNoir, in which Noir metaphors come to life?

That's by you? Cool, I played that ages ago.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SimonChris posted:

I actually bought this at the same time as your newer game, but I haven't played it yet.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

SimonChris posted:

This game is excellent. I really enjoyed it.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
I was always more of a text adventure person, but this is one of my favorite games of the more twineish type. Even when I got to a successful end I read some comments and realized I had only explored/achieved a fraction of what possible and I still had a desire to see what else what there. It's a fantasy milieu time loop game, but available options might depend on knowledge from previous loops and there's a lot of paths to take.

https://ejadelomax.itch.io/stay

Fumblemouse fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 17, 2021

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Big fan of interactive fiction games. Choice of Robots is easily the best of the "Choice of" games I've played.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

Big fan of interactive fiction games. Choice of Robots is easily the best of the "Choice of" games I've played.

The author's other games, Choice of Magics and Choice of Alexandria are also really solid.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Cyberpunkdreams just came out on Steam:https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361680/cyberpunkdreams/

It's a Fallen London-style game. I won't be playing as I can't stand action economies in narrative games but it looks interesting.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
If I really loved Open Sorcery and Sea++, is there anything in particular I should take a shot at or just pick something off the IFDB top 100?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Fumblemouse posted:

I was always more of a text adventure person, but this is one of my favorite games of the more twineish type. Even when I got to a successful end I read some comments and realized I had only explored/achieved a fraction of what possible and I still had a desire to see what else what there. It's a fantasy milieu time loop game, but available options might depend on knowledge from previous loops and there's a lot of paths to take.

https://ejadelomax.itch.io/stay

Oh, this one's fun! It's not Twine, it's INK, which is the engine used in 80 Days which somebody posted about before. I would also recommend. The only major gripe I have with it is that there's a character named Esteban, and I cannot ever read that name without cracking up, but that is my own personal problem.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

If I really loved Open Sorcery and Sea++, is there anything in particular I should take a shot at or just pick something off the IFDB top 100?

Well it depends on what you loved about them. I'd guess that if that's your starting point you'd probably want a gameplay-heavy game, then? You could do worse than Stay, and as mentioned 80 Days is good, but if you're gonna pick something off IFDB you'll probably want to filter out all the parser stuff. Unless you specifically want those, but they're very different.

It's short, but I'd also recommend JELLY which play closely enough, and also has that fun puzzle-ish mysticism vibe.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

fez_machine posted:

Cyberpunkdreams just came out on Steam:https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361680/cyberpunkdreams/

It's a Fallen London-style game. I won't be playing as I can't stand action economies in narrative games but it looks interesting.

I dipped in to use my initial actions and mostly felt like I already play one of these with Fallen London, and that's either enough or already too much, so I don't think I have room in my life for another. It's hard to judge based off playing for twenty minutes or whatever, but it didn't jump out as anything that was going to threaten to replace Fallen London for me. Honestly I don't think I'll even be dabbling with it any more unless I both hear people rave about it down the line and if enough of a community pops up around it to provide something like the Fallen London wiki as a resource.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

fez_machine posted:

While I'm not particularly interested in this one, I'd be down for recommendations of other text-based RPGs. I think I've already tried most of the major ones, but there's always the chance I overlooked something. Preferably a single-player one with no daily action limit or the like.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
Oh sweet, thanks for the IF thread. It's my very favorite genre and one that's so underdiscussed. I grew up on hardcore parser puzzlers, but the Twine revolution has yielded some incredibly interesting work. (Although I do agree Porpentine is a little overrated :can: )

Will throw my own recommendation out — PLEASE check out SPY INTRIGUE. The fact that it came in 29th at IFComp a few years back and went largely undiscussed afterward is nothing short of a god drat travesty. It’s challenging and bonkers and not at all what it seems on the surface but if you stick with it, what it reveals itself to be is nothing short of breathtaking. Emily Short’s review sums it up best:

quote:

SPY INTRIGUE is one of the finest and bravest things ever produced in this medium: personal and true, technically masterful in both code and design, literary in the best sense.

Some people, I’ve seen, refer to it as raw. I wouldn’t call it so; I’d say it has a quality I prefer to rawness, an ability to present the most intense and traumatic experiences with such understanding that it offers others a tool to dismantle their own pain.

Yes, I am still talking about a game in which you can shove banana bread down the front of your spy pants. That game. Yes.

Hecuba fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 19, 2021

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hecuba posted:

Oh sweet, thanks for the IF thread. It's my very favorite genre and one that's so underdiscussed. I grew up on hardcore parser puzzlers, but the Twine revolution has yielded some incredibly interesting work. (Although I do agree Porpentine is a little overrated :can: )

Will throw my own recommendation out — PLEASE check out SPY INTRIGUE. The fact that it came in 29th at IFComp a few years back and went largely undiscussed afterward is nothing short of a god drat travesty. It’s challenging and bonkers and not at all what it seems on the surface but if you stick with it, what it reveals itself to be is nothing short of breathtaking. Emily Short’s review sums it up best:

A lot of the visual component in the manual is broken, unfortunately.

Speaking of Emily Short, she worked on this recent IF adaptation of Animal Farm that I haven't played: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1398100/Orwells_Animal_Farm/

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
Yeah that’s a bummer. I found it after the images went down and didn’t feel like it impacted the story’s effect too much, but if anyone knows if there’s a full version floating around I’d love to see it.

Thanks for the Animal Farm tipoff, I hadn’t heard of this one. Into the queue it goes!

Edit: Oh hey that's cool, I did a little digging and found a full hosted version not linked on IFDB. https://furkleindustries-homepage.s3.amazonaws.com/spy-intrigue/index.html

Hecuba fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 19, 2021

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I saw Shade mentioned but a bunch of my all-time favorite parser puzzle games were from Andrew Plotkin.

Spider and Web blew my mind back in the day. Hard but definitely worth a bash and checking a walkthrough

Hadean Lands is much more recent game about space alchemy that's incredibly forgiving and pleasant to play.

Megazver posted:

Yeah, it's pretty good. Chandler Grover writes good poo poo. I also enjoyed Toby's Nose and Three-Card Trick by him.

Eat Me is my fave game by them, it's like a 30 minute one-verb game that's both horrible and hilarious.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

xiw posted:

I saw Shade mentioned but a bunch of my all-time favorite parser puzzle games were from Andrew Plotkin.

My favourite fun fact about Plotkin is that he invented/popularised the Mafia variant/rebranding known as Werewolf

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FWIW I wasn't a fan of Animal Farm. YMMV, but a game with the illusion of choice/control where you get a lovely ending no matter what you do is pretty unsatisfying imo. I get why giving Animal Farm a happy ending could be narratively unsatisfying too, but even on a narrative level I think the idea that the farm was doomed no matter what takes away from the specific tragedy of the story in the novel.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A new fancy digital version of the Fabled Lands gamebooks is out on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1299620/Fabled_Lands/

It looks pretty dope!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Anyone played The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante?

Really nice text adventure with some different stats that go up and down plus significant differences in story based on choices. There are three main kind of careers that heavily influence the story, but also a lot of other things that pop up and have a larger effect than you think at first. For example, rescuing a neighbor and causing my first death resulted in said neighbor becoming a main character in the narrative who wouldn't be there otherwise.

Haven't beaten it yet but I keep trying to remember to start playing it again because it was actually pretty addictive, I wanted to keep reading and see what happens.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Play posted:

Really nice text adventure with some different stats that go up and down plus significant differences in story based on choices. There are three main kind of careers that heavily influence the story, but also a lot of other things that pop up and have a larger effect than you think at first. For example, rescuing a neighbor and causing my first death resulted in said neighbor becoming a main character in the narrative who wouldn't be there otherwise.

Haven't beaten it yet but I keep trying to remember to start playing it again because it was actually pretty addictive, I wanted to keep reading and see what happens.

I played a bit of the demo during one of those Narrative Game Festivals on Steam and thought it looked interesting, but I haven't played it yet.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

fez_machine posted:

I tried this out because Fallen London is interesting (though I wouldn't say, like, good) and it's definitely extraordinarily similar. The writing style is extremely similar, the gameplay is functionally identical...which is fine, if you really like how Fallen London works. The setting is pretty great, very cyberpunk.

The most notable difference is that in this game, characters have names, a radical departure from Fallen London.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Play posted:

I played through this and must have messed up pretty bad because I had very few choices in the last chapter.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Cross posting from the fresh releases thread:

fez_machine posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1546920/Overboard/
Inkle, makers of text heavy games, 80 Days, Sorcery, and Heaven's Vault, have surprised released a new game Overboard!. It's a reverse whodunnit where the detective is the perpetrator, like Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Acroyd. The aim is to figure out how to escape being caught and get the insurance money at the end.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I played through this and must have messed up pretty bad because I had very few choices in the last chapter.

its unusually hard for a narrative game which i found kinda fun

Play posted:

For example, rescuing a neighbor and causing my first death resulted in said neighbor becoming a main character in the narrative who wouldn't be there otherwise.

not quite true, it just changes her overall disposition towards you. shes fundamentally important to the story

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

fez_machine posted:

Cross posting from the fresh releases thread:

I know it's an old book, but I personally haven't read it yet and have just started reading Christie last year. Could you spoiler tag it for the few other persons who would care about such a thing?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Akarshi posted:

* Tin Star - Wild West setting that, IIRC, spans many years. One of the earliest Hosted Games and still one of the best in my opinion.
:hmmyes:

Also I really like Samurai of Hyuga, Wayhaven Chronicles, and Community College Hero, which no one else seems to have mentioned.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
If you're interested in cyberpunk and don't hate Fallen London style games (pool of actions that refill on real time), cyberpunkdreams is pretty cool. Even if you hate them, the dev has just put in a way to "store" actions so you don't need to check the computer every 8ish hours.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Fat Samurai posted:

If you're interested in cyberpunk and don't hate Fallen London style games (pool of actions that refill on real time), cyberpunkdreams is pretty cool. Even if you hate them, the dev has just put in a way to "store" actions so you don't need to check the computer every 8ish hours.

Speaking of cyberpunk I started playing VA-11 HA11-A last night after seeing it in a list of good cyberpunk style games and I really like it. Great writing keeps it flowing excellently, and mixing drinks is just a nice break from the narrative. Sometimes it does take a while to figure out what to give someone though.

As far as interactive fiction goes it seems really really good. Not overly involved with tons of characters, but definitely some good ones and a lot of the conversation is vaguely philosophical yet also very grounded. It's fun.

Verviticus posted:

its unusually hard for a narrative game which i found kinda fun

not quite true, it just changes her overall disposition towards you. shes fundamentally important to the story

Ah! That figures, I haven't even finished my first playthrough. I'd be curious to know how much it does actually branch, this type of game is pretty much the only one that can easily support highly branching narratives.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Are there any videos or guides or anything for how to start with writing IF? Not from a "How to use the software" aspect rather how to scope stuff and come up with the game design? (Presume I prefer creating over playing because I don't have the patience for other people's bs and have just a modicum of patience for my own.)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mrenda posted:

Are there any videos or guides or anything for how to start with writing IF? Not from a "How to use the software" aspect rather how to scope stuff and come up with the game design? (Presume I prefer creating over playing because I don't have the patience for other people's bs and have just a modicum of patience for my own.)

What form of IF are you planning on writing? Is it going to be made using Twine, Choicescript, Inklewriter/Ink, Inform-7, Renpy? Because the advice on scope and good game design is going to differ for each of the formats.

Check out these forums for writing advice:
https://intfiction.org/c/authoring/general-design-discussions/17
https://forum.choiceofgames.com/c/game-development/writing-and-content/58

This thread linked earlier is very good as well:
https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/what-i-learned-from-playing-every-choicescript-game-patterns-in-good-bad-games/97506

and this talk from Jon Ingold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vRfNtvFVRo

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 12, 2021

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Play posted:

Speaking of cyberpunk I started playing VA-11 HA11-A last night after seeing it in a list of good cyberpunk style games and I really like it. Great writing keeps it flowing excellently, and mixing drinks is just a nice break from the narrative. Sometimes it does take a while to figure out what to give someone though.

As far as interactive fiction goes it seems really really good. Not overly involved with tons of characters, but definitely some good ones and a lot of the conversation is vaguely philosophical yet also very grounded. It's fun.

Ah! That figures, I haven't even finished my first playthrough. I'd be curious to know how much it does actually branch, this type of game is pretty much the only one that can easily support highly branching narratives.

minor spoilers: most of or all of the branching is executed through your character's perspective on the three major routes. they're about 95% exclusive from each other in content, but they all revolve around the same basic events

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mrenda posted:

I think Emily Short's blog is a very good resource, especially the articles and book reviews she has under the "craft" tag: https://emshort.blog/category/craft/

One of her more recent posts seems to be what you're interested in, too:

https://emshort.blog/2020/01/21/pacing-storylet-structures/#more-41037

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Mrenda posted:

Like fez_machine said, you probably want to have some idea of the general form of what software you want to use, or at least something you can look at and say "that's a cool game, I want to do something like that!" What counts as "game design" will very drastically depending on your vision. I know you said you don't play much, but if there does happen to be a game you really liked try examining it and what it does well and also Google to see if the author's written anything about their process.

That said this is some pretty good generic writing advice for branching stories https://www.choiceofgames.com/2010/05/planning-a-choicescript-game/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Sarawak does a lot of cool little things with textgame presentation and there's a free demo. Give it a click.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKqUAfg5yMA

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

fez_machine posted:

What form of IF are you planning on writing? Is it going to be made using Twine, Choicescript, Inklewriter/Ink, Inform-7, Renpy? Because the advice on scope and good game design is going to differ for each of the formats.

Check out these forums for writing advice:
https://intfiction.org/c/authoring/general-design-discussions/17
https://forum.choiceofgames.com/c/game-development/writing-and-content/58

This thread linked earlier is very good as well:
https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/what-i-learned-from-playing-every-choicescript-game-patterns-in-good-bad-games/97506

and this talk from Jon Ingold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vRfNtvFVRo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think Emily Short's blog is a very good resource, especially the articles and book reviews she has under the "craft" tag: https://emshort.blog/category/craft/

One of her more recent posts seems to be what you're interested in, too:

https://emshort.blog/2020/01/21/pacing-storylet-structures/#more-41037

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

Like fez_machine said, you probably want to have some idea of the general form of what software you want to use, or at least something you can look at and say "that's a cool game, I want to do something like that!" What counts as "game design" will very drastically depending on your vision. I know you said you don't play much, but if there does happen to be a game you really liked try examining it and what it does well and also Google to see if the author's written anything about their process.

That said this is some pretty good generic writing advice for branching stories https://www.choiceofgames.com/2010/05/planning-a-choicescript-game/

Thanks for the help. I guess this endeavour (if I keep going with it) is just a bit new and intimidating and I'm looking for some hand holding.

I fired up Ink(le?) last night, stared at some lines for a long period, and wrote the very first choices. So I'm getting going, but someone or someones to help along the way, I think, is the kind of thing I need. I know itch.io can host webgames/betas/WiPs so once/if I have enough to try out on people I'll start looking at that. Then I'll go through the rigmarole of getting from Ink and the game setup to having it somewhere online. Thanks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Will second Emily Short’s blog. If it’s mechanical stuff that’s intimidating, she has some very fascinating breakdowns of commonly accepted choice-based structure in IF. Plus she’s made some of the best IF there ever was.