Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

But that isn't inherently good.

Let's say that I am building a people thresher, which is like a combine harvester but for people, and want to make it the most efficient people thresher it can be. I look at the best and most effective information to build something that is truly awful, and that people have great difficulty in avoiding and getting killed by. Is the truth, in this instance, an inherent good? Because it allowed me to build a machine that is at the upmost effectiveness for killing people?

Dude wtf why would you even try and use this as an example for anything, there are tons of analogies that would have worked and you went with wanting to make a loving death machine. Let alone this being a goddamn strawman argument its stupid as poo poo.

Nothing your trying to prove is even possible with your post. You arent refuting anything with this argument and instead are trying to make an emotional grab in order to invalidate any argument someone has and paint them as someone to hate or mock if they say ITS GOOD TO MAKE A DEATH MACHINE BECAUSE ITS BASED ON FACTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

Sorry, I am trying to say that "if something can be used for bad ends can it be an inherent good". I just thought I'd use a purposefully daft story so that it doesn't touch on something anyone would actually do.

No you made an argument that is inherently something used to make others agree with you based on emotions and fear of being attacked. Its inherently the exact problem that the OP is saying, that pushing ideology and use of bad faith arguments is one of the biggest issues that we currently are seeing in social media and other parts of the web. You intentionally choose something that was done in a way that will result in people agreeing with the point your attempting to make not by you being correct, but because your argument is intentionally flawed in order to produce the result you want.

It inherently is a large part of why this thread exists, to point out tactics used by bad faith actors in social media and teach people to be more critical in the information that they are reading and sharing.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
You contridict yourself instantly after your central argument, and screaming nihilism to justify ideology does not change basic facts or make your assertions correct.

Vvv you aren't the one trying to justify nihilism to ignore facts and your assertions that nothing matters because of your personal feelings.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 2, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Part of the issue was painting it as followup to Bin laden and punishing the 9/11 attackers, and Bush basically holding the reins of the public who were actively insane because of the attacks. For many of us (me included mind you) we were barely in our teens, and don't really remember how crazy it was after 9/11 in this country. At that point Bush had an approval rating in what the high 80s? and no one was really listening to facts and instead just following what he was saying because he was the protector of the nation (:barf:) The higherups were using that to justify iraq war 2 because bush was angry daddy didnt get saddams head. And then we have the forever war in iraq to thank for him. And Powell gently caress him

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Probably Magic posted:

All you have to do is watch coverage during the Trump administration between his (admittedly stumbling) peace talks with North Korea versus his bombing of Syria. From the latter, we get Brian Williams' infamous quote about the beauty of our weapons, a series of generals coming and talking about how cool our weapons are, and general support for the president. The former? Absolute disdain from CNN and MSNBC reporters. This has continued into this administration, where negative reporting did not begin on Joe Biden, despite his fumbling on several issues, up until, you guessed it, he withdrew from Afghanistan.

The media is invested in war. It sells. It gets people to tune in. It helps their funders and owners. It helps the military people who regularly give access to those media.

Tbh this also has to do with the news wanting to drive views and have people tune in. It's been a constant thing since what the 80s with the old punchline of fear and blood sell and gets people to tune in. While this also may have pull from wanting to push a message about the military, much of it also is about making people want to be invested and rely on pure emotional response and not actual thought process.

I wouldn't count cable news reporting from anyone as actually useful for anything. CNN MSNBC or fox are all worried about getting people to tune in and everything else is secondary.

You honestly could have a whole thread dedicated to how cable news runs on sensationalism and how that was evolved further through social media to drive engagement, and has been used to radicalize entire subgroups of the population. The ramifications of the 80s and 90s fear mongering of violence in the streets and stuff can be directly linked to alot of issues that have come up. Or my favorite on how jenkum was sensationalized in the media and literally no one was huffing there own poo poo fumes.