Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Don’t comedy it up in this here comedy forum is probably the best approach, but in the very least, comedy it up responsibly. wear a comedyum

“Don’t be the noise” is also good advice, although I appreciate thatI I have learned many interesting things from the USPol thread that often have nothing to do with USPol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Bel Shazar posted:

If you approve of the signal. Otherwise maybe me the noise.

Girls rock me boys?

Wait, no, this what I was talking about!

But if we are demonstrating noise and it’s on topic, is it really noise to begin with? :psyduck:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
All kidding (and threadshitting) aside, I really am interested in this topic, especially anything beyond the Shannon and Weaver Communication model from an introductory college course.

So, for content. I’ll even effortpost, but be aware that I’m paraphrasing from what I was taught, and this is just the gist of what I know. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong! You’ll be doing it a lot, believe me.

This may come as a shock because you haven’t read much of this post yet, I tend to be a verbose gently caress, and I was considerably worse before taking a technical writing class a few semesters later (both within the last five years, as an adult student). They apply to the same principle: reader “B” does not want to be entertained, but informed. For an example: nobody wants to read an anecdote about who invented the first bookcase, they just want you to explain a set of instructions on how to put together the bookcase they just bought from your company. These people are joyless and boring, but they have a point.

The SA forums have boards where fine upstanding posters such as yourself (who are clearly not joyless and boring; I honestly was not taking a swipe at you before, I’m still bitter my final project on bookcase instructions only got a ‘C’) come to post to get angry about hosed everything is. Like the proverbial bookcase assemblers, entertainment is secondary and real actual grownup debate and discussion is supposed to take place. Threadshitting/white noise posting/derails are actively discouraged because this is a designated area where the Receiver, “B” legitimately wants to get the message the Sender “A” is transmitting, also with minimal noise. “B” then wants to reverse roles and become the Sender. To sum up, this is because this forum is a two-way channel of communication, similar to Twitter. This is great, but when either A or B have an agenda, or one or both want their egos massaged or their biases confirmed, this inevitably creates an echo chamber.

Contrast a “one-way” transmission, as most media we consume doesn’t need or ask for our, the Receivers’, input - we either get it to us from actively buying a newspaper/skirting around their paywall, channel surfing on tv, hearing it on news radio, unconsciously picking it up from the banner ads on internet comedy forms, or listening to an heir to a pre-package meal fortune preach fascism on Fox News. Interestingly, this last fellow doesn’t necessarily just get broadcast on Fox News, but potentially on all those other forms of media - including me, right now, by talking about it.

Of these, what I am most interested in discussing is how boosting a message works out on a model or something because I just don’t know. What happens when sender “A” has sender C, D, E, and little cat F to boost it along before it gets to Receiver “B”? “B” in this case is subbing in for “absolutely anyone who will listen”. Tucker Carlson still has a reliable platform but we still boost his message, just by talking about it. Other news organizations will do it, even as they make fun of him (now on a daily basis!) And of course, Donald J Trump completely relies on boosting, as his press releases show without instantaneous feedback and a “like”/“comment” counter to validate his fee-fees, he has to rely on people sending his signal for him.

Anyway that’s something I hope is good and desirable in this thread, and look forward to discussing it all!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Murgos posted:

One of the more interesting things that I've really only see them report on is what the major social media sites are doing to combat disinformation.

Oh good, should be a quick read

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Hitting “jump to last post” instead of reading hundreds of replies from your last unread post is a form of noise, isn’t it?

You miss out on all the derails but also possibly good posts as well.