Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

“Don’t be the noise” is also good advice

If you approve of the signal. Otherwise maybe be the noise.

e: spelling is hard

Bel Shazar fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Given your lines of question here, particularly the Fox News example, I would look further into behavioral priming.

https://www.wilsonquarterly.com/quarterly/the-american-quest-for-redemption/does-hearing-words-like-wrinkles-cause-you-walk-slowly/

And then consider the effect that such propaganda broadcasts have in shaping the impulses, thoughts, and actions of the receivers (be they primary consumers of Fox News or people who catch a ricochet walking through some office waiting room). Tucker says it, someone here boosts it, and now we're all subtly influenced by their behavioral priming.

e: better examples
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...ence%20(e.g.%2C
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/221779554_Behavioral_Priming_It%27s_All_in_the_Mind_but_Whose_Mind

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

fool of sound posted:

Correct information is an inherent good regardless of which filters it has been run through by the time it gets to the recipient.

What exactly makes correct information an inherent good? Best I can come up with is it can allow one to come to more accurate solutions and take more effective actions, but strictly speaking you don’t need correct information for that... you just need the set of information that would lead to the most apt response...

What makes it ‘inherently’ good?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Strange to think CNN had any integrity going into this…

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't think it's a meaningful distinction in this particular case just because a fancy news org did it in a more subtle way. If anything, it's worse than the poo poo you mentioned because many more people were willing to take it at face value, including likely many people on this site who think of themselves as very smart and good at media literacy.

e: although tbf I also think the term fake news is dead as doornails with as much as it's gotten coopted by the 25% or so of Americans who are lapping up the garbage you mentioned and dismissing everything they don't like as "fake news." Once Trump started using the phrase it was pretty much rendered useless.

Nazis ruin everything they touch, OP