Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jarmak posted:

This is shockingly authoritarian. Human beings have agency, by denying them true information and feeding them lies you are taking away their basic agency. Controlling information in this manner goes beyond controlling people, it takes away their right to even know they're being controlled.

There is a reason the control of truth is referenced in 1984 as the ultimate form of authoritarianism.

i'm pretty sure it was foucault who said "beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Josef bugman posted:

I think that's Pravin Lal from Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri.

yeah, but i'm pretty sure foucault was on the writing team at firaxsis

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

is pepsi ok posted:

The point then is to accept that all media is propaganda, and to follow that propaganda which furthers your goals.

this line keeps coming up as part of some goons will to power kick, but you have to recognize that this line of thinking opens you to the risk of becoming baghdad bob

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I like Chomsky and broadly consider him a net positive, but he needs to be understood in light of his own blindspots and especially the big one of 'what is the appropriate level of skepticism and scrutiny to apply when something truly horrible genuinely is happening and it aligns, at least nominally, with american (or chinese/russian for that matter) interests? How do you not end up years later having to explain why you downplayed the cambodian or serbian genocides because you assumed it was being exaggerated as an american casus belli?

sorry to derail, but i had a quick question on this. i thought (based on admittedly very little study of the matter) that the us government downplayed the crisis as part of their opposition to vietnamese intervention. was america playing it up as a possible casus belli before reversing that position once vietnam acted?

edit: i should clarify that i understand that the original post was in relation to chomsky's subjective view of events, not necessarily the poster's own view of those events

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 20, 2021