Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Can someone go into more granular, like, specific detail about the kinds of procedural/administrative things that come with movies using military equipment in the u.s.? Like, what actually happens? I've heard it explained as "the studio gets free stuff and the military organization gets to make suggestions to the script that push a pro-military narrative."

Is that what people here think, or am i oversimplifying/wrong?

e: the reason I want to know is that everyone in my social sphere adores Marvel movies (among others) and it seems like the studio that produces them is constantly flush with really expensive military vehicles and equipment. No one has ever explained to me in depth what the contract between whatever organizational body and the studio would look like or what happens logistically (do they invite them in during table reads and accept notes about the script? does someone read the entire script and make notes? do they just preemptively write a script that makes their equipment-supplying friends look good?).

It comes up in my head a lot, but I don't know anything about the specifics and I could never explain a step-by-step procedure for how a huge, wealthy studio with no tanks acquires tanks in exchange for something else.

NeatHeteroDude fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Discendo Vox posted:

The entity looking to use stuff from the US military applies to the DoD Entertainment Media Office, usually through a liaison office for whichever branch they're actually planning on using resources from. The governing regulation is 32 CFR §328. The core policy rationale/limits are under §328.4(a):

So in practice the company pays the DoD for whatever the DoD provides, and the DoD has to believe it's at least not going to harm the military's reputation.

I'm not very familiar with the regulation, but part of the requirements is that the company doing it includes credits to the DoD. Documents involved with DoD assistance in this stuff is also FOIAble.

edit: the linked regulation also provides the template legal agreements they use for production assistance.

Thank you! This is incredibly helpful. One of the reasons I like posting around you for stuff like this is that you're very familiar with the nitty-gritty procedural stuff that matters to me, too. If I want to talk about something with someone, I'd prefer to be able to describe in a stepwise fashion how we start at point A and progress toward point B. You've got a good handle. The other post of yours I read was in response to my question about "Who is Fauci and what does he do?" which you also answered with a lot of detail.

Cease to Hope posted:

As I understand it, that's pretty much it, although sometimes the "free stuff" is access to things that they normally wouldn't have access to at all, like military hardware. It also often comes with a quid-pro-quo to copromote the movie along with the military in military advertising, while copromoting the military in movie advertising. Top Gun was the famous pioneer, but off the top of my head Man of Steel and Captain Marvel were also big examples.

I've never interacted with you before but also much thanks to you. I struggle to articulate things and this is a good template for describing how stuff works in a general sense.

I'll take a look at the regulation and Man of Steel/Captain Marvel and see what I get.