Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Are there are any good articles on how twitter encourages hot take discourse and how its relates to transmission and reception? for sports, its fun but for politics oh man there are a lot of bad bad bad bad takes that are taken as axiomatic truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think the contention here is that people don't want to believe that they are susceptible to media manipulation or their own biases. If you believe that inherently anything the US does is not trustworthy than a source saying yep, here is something to prove your point means you are more likely to believe it. That's what happened in 2016. Wikileaks had a lot of goodwill in certain circles because of the information they were leaking. They go against American hegemony and orthodoxy, they are to be believed and trusted.

Assange cast his lot with the Alex Jones and Trump types in 2016 but he "believes" the same things you do. Hilary Clinton bad, US bad, therefore Assange has no reason to lie or influence the election. It conforms to your belief system, you'd never be vulnerable to that type of manipulation, so your bias creeps in and you find ways to defend it. We see it with conservatives all the time but we as humans have the same bias issues.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think you're all getting too granular about the WikiLeaks situation in general. The point of the leaks was to do things:

1) Flame fans of distrust about the Clinton and implicate her in the death of a staffer. Even if the leaks weren't about that, the point was that she was covering SOMETHING up. So while the emails were relatively benign, the point was tank Clinton.
2) Push negative media about Donald Trump out of the media cycle.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t think it does. The question is whether you could, in theory, figure out if I was telling the truth. Are you saying that’s too hard to do I practice, or not possible in theory? I don’t think having to take the subway downtown or fly somewhere makes the project impossible in reality or theoretically impossible.

A black man was killed by a police officer.

A former criminal was shot by an officer during an encounter.

Can both statements be true? Are both saying the same thing?