Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

There is no inherent value to maintaining some sort of high "correct:incorrect ratio" with respect to media and media consumption. Someone can carefully avoid all direct falsehoods and end up believing and supporting a bunch of terrible things because they carry a set of assumptions that make them incapable of correctly interpreting the information they're exposed to. It's better for someone to occasionally have a wrong gut reaction to a misleading headline on Twitter than for someone to carefully parse the news for direct falsehoods while viewing it through the lens of a harmful ideology/worldview. The former isn't even particularly bad as long as the person in question admits when they make mistakes.

This is shockingly authoritarian. Human beings have agency, by denying them true information and feeding them lies you are taking away their basic agency. Controlling information in this manner goes beyond controlling people, it takes away their right to even know they're being controlled.

There is a reason the control of truth is referenced in 1984 as the ultimate form of authoritarianism.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

But that isn't inherently good.

Let's say that I am building a people thresher, which is like a combine harvester but for people, and want to make it the most efficient people thresher it can be. I look at the best and most effective information to build something that is truly awful, and that people have great difficulty in avoiding and getting killed by. Is the truth, in this instance, an inherent good? Because it allowed me to build a machine that is at the upmost effectiveness for killing people?

If human beings only have agency if they have true information then no human being has ever had agency. We can be fairly close to bits and pieces of info, but we are never going to have a completely correct read on something because we cannot escape the context within which we see and observe things. If we were back in Viking Era Norway and I saw an ash tree I would simply know that it is a type of tree. Whereas a pious follower of the Gods may see it as a link back to a divine progenitor.

Control of information exists throughout every system that we exist within, in some way. From birth onward we exist inside of a context that is not objective, but caused by systems. This means that we cannot see outside of our own contexts.

Agency is not a binary state, "no human being has ever had full agency because they've never had complete truth" is a very reasonable philosophical position. That feeding people lies and controlling their information therefor is not inhibiting their agency is not the logical result of that position.

This is like saying no human is truly free so locking them in a 3x3 box isn't removing their freedom.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Murgos posted:

A better model would probably show that the encoding of the information by the transmitter is a source of noise as is the decoding performed by the receiver rather than the noise being purely introduced in the transmission medium.

That's not what noise is. Noise is extraneous signals picked up by a receiver. It's not distortion from the transmission medium, it's random nonsense that exists within the transmission medium. It exists distinct from the signal, otherwise it is not noise.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Murgos posted:

You don't think that encoding or decoding a signal can introduce noise?

edit: My frame of reference here is A/D and D/A conversion, if you are considering some ideal system then okay, but I don't think that's a useful paradigm for a conversation on errors in communication.

edit: VVVV No need, I've pulled it. I am aware that most of modern digital communications are based on work done by Shannon and others. I don't think I have ever read that specific paper but I am sure it is internally consistent for the way it's stated the problem. Note that that the authors are defining the 'transmitter' block in terms of technologies like telegraphy, telephony and early TV transmitters which all introduce noise from various sources.

There can be noise within an encoder but that is in context of the encoder. When you analyze a signal noise is additive interference, whether you define something as noise or not is a function of the frame of reference you're doing the analysis under. If I am doing a transmission line analysis of the internal circuitry of the encoder then yes, poo poo like induced currents creates noise in the circuit. Analyzing a transmission you're more likely to consider that part of the transform function of the encoder and classify noise as the additive interference between the transmitter and receiver.

We're working with a metaphor here though so I was assuming we're working with an ideal model. In which case it would make more sense to consider the effects of the encoder distortion/artifacts, because in the metaphor they're intended to represent distorting effects of the transformation, not interference.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Murgos posted:

To your point some of the original example in the op is blurring noise and error and so I was following that context to avoid introducing more terms.

My point (without writing a paper) restated is as follows:

The original paper uses a TV Camera as an example of a transmitter. I think it's trivial to note that a TV Camera in 1948 pointed at a stage full of actors is dropping a HUGE amount of data present in the information source that no matter how low noise the transmission medium and how high the quality of the components of the receiver will just never be observable at the destination.

A full color, 3D image was flattened and scanned at some discrete rate and then presented to the destination as a series of electrons blasted onto a phosphorescent tube.

I think this concept, that both the transmission and reception are altering the information, is important to understand when discussing how information changes between the source and the destination.

Yeah, I got that from the original post because of the nature of encoding, but maybe I need to turn the nerd down a little.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Transmission and reception effect outcomes but I think they’re not classified as noise. The noise in the example is radium’s coding. Issues of encoding and decoding reflect different error or information types.

Radium's coding isn't really an example of noise, as what your referencing is distortion from the medium itself, which is more akin to attenuation. A better example of noise would be a food derail in the middle of your thread.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Murgos posted:

The data at the observer is not just data + noise, it's Frecv(Ftrans(data) + noise))

Yes, exactly this

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Literally Kermit posted:

Hitting “jump to last post” instead of reading hundreds of replies from your last unread post is a form of noise, isn’t it?

You miss out on all the derails but also possibly good posts as well.

If you're doing it because of the derails then in this metaphor this would be best conceptualized as the data loss caused by the noise, not the noise itself. Essentially missing the good posts (signal) because they're getting lost when you filter out the derail (noise) by skipping ahead.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

axeil posted:

Here's a great example of how to ID bad/manipulative sources.

This is a tweet from the Hill posted at 11:13 AM EST today.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1391410890260496386

Note how its intended to evoke the emotion of fear (of the rocket landing on you) and also outrage/anger at China (for being so careless).

What's the one big thing the article is missing?

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57045058

The fact the rocket had already crashed safely in the Indian Ocean 12 hours earlier. They explicitly ignored what had already happened so they could fear-monger and get people to rage-click.

This should be the prime example used of why The Hill is a very, very lovely source, to the point that I'd be in favor of banning posting their headlines/tweets entirely as they're explicitly designed to be misleading.

Your time zone math is a little off there, the hill sucks but unless I'm missing something you're off by an AM.

Tweet is ~11am EST/ 4pm GMT

Impact is listed as 2:24 AM GMT the following day.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Well maybe I'm the idiot, now I'm just confused.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

fart simpson posted:

if you think biden is doing all he can to fix a certain problem with immigration, that means you need to provide evidence. simply declaring that there isn’t any more he can realistically do is not evidence.

that’s the point. you think it’s a “claim” because it challenges your base assumptions

No, if you claim something exists that's an affirmative claim that needs evidence. In no circumstances does it make sense that you claim generically "a better way exists", not even state what that better way is, and then it's on other people to prove every possible permutation of that idea false.

That's not even getting into the issues with demanding proof of negatives.

It has nothing to do with assumptions, one is a null claim because it's the observable reality.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

fart simpson posted:

yeah well, this is very obviously not some sort of consistent standard that gets applied regardless of the ideology of the people engaging with each other. you don’t need to look further than this forum and the ways it has engaged in this very issue over the last year.

throwing strawman weasel words like “unilaterally” in there does not elevate anything to “observable reality” because again, we generally aren’t disagreeing on the observable reality of kids being in cages. it’s everything else around that and the assumptions about what can be done about it that are causing the arguments

This is word salad, whether something is done "unilaterally" is a pretty important distinction to make when discussing political possibilities so I don't know what you are talking about calling it a straw man. That doesn't even make sense.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sekhem posted:

If Vox's arguments were accurate, the model wouldn't be able to directly fail to explain events in the way you're describing, it would simply fail to commit to a stance which could be tested in this way.

This isn't what being falsifiable means. It's unfalsifiable because the assessment criteria are utterly subjective and structured in such a way as to almost guarantee confirmation bias.

"failing to explain something" as you're using it is completely based on your subjective opinion of what constitutes an adequate explanation of an event, and your subjective opinion of what the "truth" of that event is.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 28, 2021

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I listed 4 examples in the post you quoted: The field of psychology, dark matter, dark energy, and String Theory.

Those are actually all falsifiable (or more accurately contain falsifiable work).

Falsifiability in the context of judging the scientific rigor of a theory is about whether the theory/model is intrinsically unfalsifiable. A concept being intrinsically unfalsifiable is not the same thing as there being no current means of falsifying it.

edit: Because things like "do we have the sensors to see it" is an extrinsic factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Red and Black posted:

Nice evasion! I see you don’t have a response to the clear double standard applied with respect covering genocide. If the press had been “straight forward” with respect to Yemen they would have called it what it is: a genocide.

Also maybe don’t accuse someone of not following the news when you literally tried to claim the US isn’t selling arms to the Saudis

I feel like I'm having a flashback to the whole "why won't Obama say radical Islamic terror" episode.