Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So I’ve been looking at this sentence: “Uncertainty is the fuel of a conspiracy theory- it creates the space to work” and I think I know how to communicate why I think this topic is always such a loaded one and why it’s an existential question.

This is from a History of Christian thought;

“A man like Epicurus - this is very interesting - who later was so much attacked by the Christians, that we have only fragments about him, was called soter by his pupils, the Greek word used in the New Testament which we translate by "savior.." Epicurus the philosopher was called a savior. What does this mean?...

Men like Epicurus were called soters, saviors, because they liberated people from fear”

I think this is the major element missing from the general analysis being presented here. Uncertainty, not knowing and the fear and anxiety that it creates is a matter of salvation. I’m not being metaphorical here. The most literal meaning of savior deals with the individual who liberate us from uncertainty.

So when ones looks at people spreading false information another thing to think about is that the false information they are spreading is often tied up with “this saved me” and not in an abstract way. In a real way they might be getting the false information from a community that pulled them out of addiction, or saved their marriage , or gave them access to an education . It’s tied up with meaning, purpose, and identity. Understanding this is one way malign actors manipulate marginal people to spread this stuff for them.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU